Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bleeding Brakes - How Tight Bleed Nipples?

Jam911

Albert Park
I am replacing my brake fluid tomorrow and would like to know how tight the bleed nipples should be done up?

Thanks

8-12Nm on the 996, I doubt the 997 is much different. I must admit I have never used a torque wrench on one.

MC

Jam911 said:
I am replacing my brake fluid tomorrow and would like to know how tight the bleed nipples should be done up?

Thanks

The first challenge may well be how tight they are to undo, they corrode. Get some stainless replacements.

wasz said:
Tight enough but not too tight.

My understanding is that this is the correct torque for all nuts :)

As mentioned, getting them out might be the hard part.

MC

When I'm about to open bleed nipples I repeadly tap them end on with a hammer before attempting to unscrew them. The idea is to break any seal caused by corrosion.

Craig

craig15 said:
When I'm about to open bleed nipples I repeatedly tap them end on with a hammer before attempting to unscrew them. The idea is to break any seal caused by corrosion.

Craig

That's what i do .. but i use my hand .. i'm afraid after many years doing this its not far off being a hammer on my palm but you get a bit more feeling for it .. you can tell if something is going to come undone basically so you have a choice .

If something is pretty tight but im getting it out regardless then i use a socket / ratchet and a 3/8ths at that ... then i pray .

i just tighten them up .. torque settings are all very well when they are new .. add in some corrosion to the base or the threads and you need a little bit more .. or replace and clean the threads ... new nipples are a pretty good way forward and one i would recommend .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back