Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

What? Are you saying that 20 mins gentle drive in mine, in pouring rain, didn't blow your socks off? :D 🤣😜🚗

Have fun this weekend bud!

Haha, it felt very good matey, just to feel the stiffness and hear the Mezger again. I'm still very keen, we'll just see what this weekend brings. :thumb:

We are looking forward to a good car hunt roadtrip. :D

All the best for your shopping trip Marky :thumb:

For father's day I was thinking of remaking the Cadbury newsagent advert and sending my daughter in to Autostore for the 996 GT3RS

:floor:

Well that's bloody annoying and they've lost me as an interested party, because I drove right past their area on Saturday to go to Ashgood, but I didn't bother stopping as I thought it had gone.
If they'd taken my number last Monday when I rang they'd have had a fall back plan but the guy (Terry I think) was pretty uninterested as he had his buyer.
Tom seems more friendly there.

I'm not trailing down there again in a hurry anyway. Mega long weekend that was and totally fruitless.
Being totally honest though if it's still on original suspension then I'm not interested anyway. I don't want a £55k project, which seemed to be the theme of the weekend to be honest.

Busy at mo so can't go into it now, but not much joy, put it that way. :frustrated:

That's a ball ache. 911V have good rep so you would think the very least that they would do is take your details in the event that the sale falls through or that something else crops up in the meantime. I don't quite get the " I don't give a toss if you buy it or not" sales technique of some dealers. Anyway, as you say, if it still on original suspension, then it's not for you.
Nothing else took your fancy?

Hi g911,

Hectic week but gonna just round things up here.

Long boring post. Not relevant to much but after day dreaming about all those possible new cars to choose from I'd better explain how my viewings went.

Basically anyone reading with a nice example of whatever they own, don't be tempted to change and think the grass is always greener.
Last weekend was a big lesson in why I shouldn't be an ungrateful ***** always desperate for the next car.

My cars and route changed throughout the week and even on our way down.
Me and Craig headed to Cambridge on Friday night to stop over for the viewing at Autostore on Sat Morn.

So on the way down Alex from RPM messaged to say their silver GT3 had sold. He mentioned it earlier in the week but confirmed on Friday.
Damn! I know that would have been the cleanest out of the RPM, Autostore and Supercar Rooms cars.

So we looked at Autostores black GT3. Straight nice enough car. I won't go into the negatives online but it's definitely worth a view if you're at the lower end of the GT3 price band. 42k miles but it doesn't wear them too well.
It turned out that would be the only car worthy of consideration but it still needs some fettling after purchase and I think it's just a bit beyond my means to buy and pour a load more money into straight away.

Next we went to Portiacraft to view the cheap silver 993 C2. Not a horror show but a bit of a story with its service history and cosmetically it requires quite a bit. Oil leaks too. Again I won't mention all it's issues on a public forum. It's £38k for a reason though which the guy there is quick enough to say and he was totally upfront about everything. Nice straight talking guy actually which is great.

Next was the Ashgood 993 C2S. Now thanks to someone on here who'd had it inspected, I had a list of all the faults on that car, hoping that some would have been addressed. Big thanks to the person that sent me that info. :thumb:
The only item that had been tackled though was the leaky rocker covers. But that didn't matter as it was still dropping oil from everywhere else.
There was actually no one item that was terrible on the car. It was just that everything was worn or weathered. It has seen a lot of paint and it's not that good, plus scuttle rust etc etc.
But a good one is £80k so what did I expect for £60k??

With the RPM car gone that was us done by 2pm, so we decided to go and view the Supercar Rooms Polar silver GT3.
I've said it in the other thread but it's a rough old thing. Mechanically sound I'm sure, so if it's only going to live on track as it has in the past, then it may serve someone well. I wouldn't buy it at £50k though let alone £55k.
The Autostore car is much nicer for £57k.

So we headed home £350 lighter and rather deflated.

Plan now is.... god knows. :dont know:

I shouldn't have sold my 996. It's probably going to be the worst car decision of my life, without getting overly dramatic. :grin:
The little things I still had left to sort were simply nothing compared to what's out there. I hadn't realised how mega critical I'd become of the car because I was comparing it to brand new cars basically.
I even went to see my parents on Monday to accept my 'Told you so" lecture from my old man. :D

As it happens my mate who has it now has experienced one or two niggles with it. The worst one being a blow from the exhaust manifold that was off and on for the chain guide work.
I then remembered my Indy saying something about the face of the head being a bit pitted from the old gasket corroding to it.
He'd reffitted the thin genuine gaskets when what it really needs are those 'squashy" ones that take up the imperfections. So I've ordered one of those and my Indy is gonna sort it for my mate.
I offered my mate his money back as it was an impulse buy for him to be honest and I'd love the thing back although we'll have added 2 extra owners for nothing, but he loves the car and won't give me it back. :grin:

So I'm stumped for my next one. The crap being pedalled, especially the aircooled stuff, is unreal and was a massive wake up call as to what £60k gets you.
I mean they're £60k! Yet the cars are projects.

Only car I still think about is one I viewed a little while back.
Not perfect and needs a full paint to be anything like mint, but a good straight car with mods I would do anyway.
Failing that a Boxster Spyder still appeals for my trip and you can find them in as new condition. I just know they won't hold my interest like an older 911 though so why bother.

So like I say, anyone thinking of changing just be sure you have the budget for a good example of what you want.
I thought I did or might have but I've been proved well and truly wrong. :frustrated: :grin:

Anyway, onwards and upwards, adapt and overcome, and all that jazz. :thumb:

I'm seriously thinking of having a year out and saving up a bit. Of course, it would be the summer I've planned what will hopefully be the best roadtrip I've been on.
Why oh why I sold that 996. I'm an idiot. What a muppet! :frustrated:

Always the thing when looking at cars online, they very rarely live up to expectations as we naturally think there better than they are.

Is your mate not only keeping your old one for a short period? Wait and buy back maybe?

Oh dear....
We've all been in the same boat at some time.
GT3 wise, I think you're just going to have to be patient and wait for something to crop up. Some of them have been for sale for absolutely ages.
As for air cooled values.... It's hard to judge whether they are fair value or not really. You would think that £50k gets you a nice car but in the current market
perhaps it doesn't. Maybe swallow your pride and speak to 911V about the 3.2 they have? Had they called you back when the car became available again you probably would have viewed it and maybe even bought it.....
I also think that buying a car from a well regarded dealer adds a little bit of provenance come re sale time. Just my 2p. :)

It's a strange thing for sure. A 60k budget and the perfect or in this case acceptable car isn't there.

To me it just goes to show how inflated the car market is. They are all still old cars with old car problems, even the GT3's. The very best are insane money because they are few and far between and there have been enough people out there who will pay it.

It makes me a bit sad. A few years ago a mate of mine bought a good 964 for around 15k. He has over the last few years rebuilt it to his ideal spec and it's a very nice car and pretty much perfect. Value now has to be over 60k.

At the same time I was also considering a 930 or 964. Budget was about the same but I knew I didn't have the 30k required to make it right. I knew I wouldn't be happy with a worn out old car. Roll on 7 or so years and the same worn out cars are now 40-50k and still need the same money spending to make them right.

I wish you luck with the search. I recon there are some good cars out there within budget but it could become a full time job finding them!

It goes to show the problems of finding the right car don't seem to get better with a bigger budget, perhaps the reverse!

PS you can have my 996 for 50k

:D

A guy over on PHeads Porsche classic is selling his Cobalt Blue 964,top end rebuild.respray 8 years ago. Could that be of interest to you Mark?

Hi lads, apologies for the silence, I've just been very busy and have also enjoyed a week out from car obsessing.

Graham, your point made on the previous page is the over-riding thing I've been reminded of. Don't presume that any car within budget is a contender, especially when basing those thoughts on a 4 inch picture on a computer screen.

Regarding my C2, my mate may or may not keep it. Having said that i've offered him his money back so many times and he doesn't want it, so that's fine. Done and dusted. The warranty department is now closed. :D

Hi g911 - Yes I thought my budget would buy the standard of car that would do initially, eg paint that may need a few touch ups but a good detail would sort, however all 3 of the air-cooled I've viewed would really need a full spray for me to be proud of them. It's just too much after the initial purchase for me to take on.

Hi Rdodger - We are on the same wave-length with all of that. If I earned more money and was coming to air-cooled stuff as a newbie then I'd maybe stomach the prices more easily but having owned and sold a few and having had mates that have sold loads of them from now back to around ten years ago, I just can't see me paying the asking prices for whats out there.

Here are some genuine prices I've seen cars sell for around 2008-10. All nice examples and all mates from home.

3.2 Carrera, G50 box. £7000.
Guards red 930 4 speed 1986. Mint. £13k.
Ex Sultan of Brunei 964T X88 Powerkit 8k miles on clock. £39k.
My 964 C2 manual coupe. lovely. £12k.
My 964T lovely with £8k engine rebuild. I bought for £18k. Sold for £25k.

Loads more too but thats the jist of it. Crazy!

Stichil - Cheers for that, someone actually PM'd me about it.
Lovely thing, as is the red one on P'heads.

Anyway, I had a week out deliberating and cracked on with some house stuff and also doing more running and cycling.
I've had a good few moments where I've thought "I don't want the hassle of another 911 yet, I have enough things to fill my time".
But with my road trip looming I do want something and I'd love to start off the story of my forever car by doing that trip in it.

So that rules out anything without air-con. I had a longish day of driving (Northumberland to Leicester and back) on Good Friday. I decided to leave the air-con off in the 23 degree heat and see if I could stand it. The first hour or two was fine, but more than that I was sweaty and definitely more tired and fidgety than if I'd had my air-con on.

So it has to be air-con'd.

There are some developments happening and I'm busy sorting the final stages of my purchase. I'll keep schtum for now though. Collection this Saturday at a push but more likely the one after. :D
I'm excited. I haven't left a deposit until I have all the final bits of info sent through for my piece of mind but it ticks most boxes. It will need bringing upto scratch (what doesn't) but it's an original panel, good mileage car, with air-con. :wink:

One bit of car fun I've had going on was that we changed my wifes Abarth.
Swapped the Trofeo for a Competizione. Hence my trip to Abarth Leicester on Good Friday.

More of the same really. They are brilliant little cars for the country roads around mine. I swear my C2 would be no quicker.

Anyway, I'll confirm the new purchase soon.

Thanks for all the leads and opinions on things over the last few pages.
I very nearly just said "sod it" last week, in fact I almost went and bought a motorbike but this forum is a great one and I'm addicted to 911s.

Cheers lads. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back