Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 15
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
hopeydaze
Silverstone


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 143
Location: Wargrave, Berkshire, UK


PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
Shown as sold on Williams Crawford's website.........did you buy it, OP?

Crawford’s has another 993 C4 for sale. The new ones in Arena Red and looks good in the photos. Too cheap so far as I’m concerned at 85k miles and under £50k.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
crypticc
Newbie


Joined: 07 Apr 2019
Posts: 7



PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9xxnick wrote:
crypticc wrote:
Needle at max. Hence is temp gauge issue rather than cooling related? Surely engine woukd have siezed otherwise


Agreed, so long as the needle goes to maximum immediately when the ignition is switched on, in which case I presume the sender is defective (short to earth?).

Probably not wildly expensive to sort, but you would expect it to be properly fixed before sale.



It did and it will be. I didn't realise but thanks for confirming


And to next post I did with conditions
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tim993
Zolder


Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 5197
Location: Hampshire

2016 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zingari wrote:
tyinsky wrote:
I just bought a handful of those nipple things at the price Tobesetc was quoted! PC


Macadamia type. I always go for monkey nuts Thumb

Looks like the boot was overfilled or as you surmise something stuck as they tried to close it.

Compressor would be least of my concerns, it's when you have to change the evaporator and the 10+ hrs of labour cost for a £100 part Rolling Eyes

That said Crawfords are not know for selling turds rolled in glitter what


Agree with Zingers on this. On any 993, I'd certainly want to know when the evaporator was last replaced. Also, I've not seen bargain £100 units - isn't it more like £300+ from an OPC? Unfortunately (!) it's fairly easy to use one of the commercial 'leak stop' additives and a fresh re-gas to get an a/c system running nice and cold to 'pass a cursory inspection'. But it is just putting off an inevitable and large bill. Another thing I've found is that rear top mounts are not cheap and are an expense some would happily avoid. On the plus side though, a 993 which has been properly maintained is a joy to drive and the best maintained examples appear to hold their value quite well.
_________________
"I don't know what it is about peace conferences, but they always seem to attract terrorists, extremists and nutterists."

1995 993 turbo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
9xxnick
Monza


Joined: 29 Jul 2014
Posts: 168



PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NRF units are fine so far as I can tell, and are about £75 or so. Time will tell, but mine's been in for a couple of years now and no problems to date.

Oddly enough, the OEM Behr unit I previously fitted to replace the original condensor failed within 3 years, and the replacement for that was an NRF unit too, which came recommended from the well respected Porsche independent's aircon guy, so I feel reasonably happy with my selection.

There are some upmarket units available from a US company, but they are quite expensive and possibly a little OTT for UK weather. They do look nicely made though and would hopefully be ultra-reliable.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Luddite
Monza


Joined: 18 Dec 2018
Posts: 186
Location: Scotland


PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crypticc, seems like you are somewhat skilled and thorough relative to your inspection processes, admirable indeed. I do wonder in general just how perfect Porsches of this age are expected to be relative to the possible realities..? I suspect if on balance the priorities are investing more than driving enjoyment then it would seem that the importance of ZERO accident damage may indeed figure highly on the list of priorities..? If one intends to partly use a Porsche then it seems that the responsibility of protecting one`s investment may just have the potential to dilute the real enjoyment of the very special and different driving experience that a Porsche can provide.

There are those who can derive enjoyment of their Porsche by it`s mere existence in the garage and may never or rarely take it out on the road which in terms of investment may work out rather well.... each to their own.

I bought my present "classic" car from a garage owner with specialist knowledge in the marque who stripped all of the body chassis and ancilliaries and refinished it to a higher standard than the original finishes using stainless steel fixings wherever possible and paying special attention to all the usual problem areas of which he had gained knowledge of over many years with a view to extending the machines longevity..... which has indeed proven it`s worth over my circa 16 years of ownership...

The chap who rebuilt what was his car at the time did use it for at least one trip to France though given how much time effort and money he must have put into the machine perhaps caused him to cringe every time a stone hit the paintwork.... I don`t know for sure.

Me, I have used my car on trips to Southern Europe and as a result it has gathered signs of usage..... In terms of investment potential... it has arrived at the stage where I feel it owes me nothing given the enjoyment it has provided over many years of ownership, though admittedly has perhaps only covered circa 25k miles in that time... hmm!

As is my habit I have rambled on a bit though the misalignment you highlighted in the bonnet and the drain channel may well have been caused by someone forgetful like me working in the frunk and having placed a screwdriver in the drain channel as a handy place, forgot to remove it prior to lowering the bonnet, which would also explain why the lip of the drain channel was deformed to the extent shown in your pic... Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Montreal


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 609
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luddite wrote:
...I have used my car on trips to Southern Europe and as a result it has gathered signs of usage..... In terms of investment potential... it has arrived at the stage where I feel it owes me nothing given the enjoyment it has provided over many years of ownership...


Love using mine. Could not care one bit what it is worth down the line. Would be wonderful if I manage to get to 300,000 miles before they ban petrol cars or death (whichever comes sooner)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nickjonesn4
Nürburgring


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 468
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Luddite wrote:
...I have used my car on trips to Southern Europe and as a result it has gathered signs of usage..... In terms of investment potential... it has arrived at the stage where I feel it owes me nothing given the enjoyment it has provided over many years of ownership...


Love using mine. Could not care one bit what it is worth down the line. Would be wonderful if I manage to get to 300,000 miles before they ban petrol cars or death (whichever comes sooner)


Funny I had almost the exact conversation with my mate this morning.
_________________
1996 Carrera 2S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
crypticc
Newbie


Joined: 07 Apr 2019
Posts: 7



PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luddite wrote:
Crypticc, seems like you are somewhat skilled and thorough relative to your inspection processes, admirable indeed. I do wonder in general just how perfect Porsches of this age are expected to be relative to the possible realities..? I suspect if on balance the priorities are investing more than driving enjoyment then it would seem that the importance of ZERO accident damage may indeed figure highly on the list of priorities..? If one intends to partly use a Porsche then it seems that the responsibility of protecting one`s investment may just have the potential to dilute the real enjoyment of the very special and different driving experience that a Porsche can provide.

There are those who can derive enjoyment of their Porsche by it`s mere existence in the garage and may never or rarely take it out on the road which in terms of investment may work out rather well.... each to their own.

I bought my present "classic" car from a garage owner with specialist knowledge in the marque who stripped all of the body chassis and ancilliaries and refinished it to a higher standard than the original finishes using stainless steel fixings wherever possible and paying special attention to all the usual problem areas of which he had gained knowledge of over many years with a view to extending the machines longevity..... which has indeed proven it`s worth over my circa 16 years of ownership...

The chap who rebuilt what was his car at the time did use it for at least one trip to France though given how much time effort and money he must have put into the machine perhaps caused him to cringe every time a stone hit the paintwork.... I don`t know for sure.

Me, I have used my car on trips to Southern Europe and as a result it has gathered signs of usage..... In terms of investment potential... it has arrived at the stage where I feel it owes me nothing given the enjoyment it has provided over many years of ownership, though admittedly has perhaps only covered circa 25k miles in that time... hmm!

As is my habit I have rambled on a bit though the misalignment you highlighted in the bonnet and the drain channel may well have been caused by someone forgetful like me working in the frunk and having placed a screwdriver in the drain channel as a handy place, forgot to remove it prior to lowering the bonnet, which would also explain why the lip of the drain channel was deformed to the extent shown in your pic... Question


Thank u

And WC are being thorough in addressing each of my concerns. New photos (that I should've taken myself). SpareWheel and battery out to show no structural damage inside. (I forgot the battery). Wheels all off and inspections on the more structural areas of the car. Already had when, I think front bumper coming off too... And will have photos at that point of the whole underside. New venturi will be installed when it's all put back together.
So to be clear I've no concerns currently with how I'm being treated - maybe I'm being a nervous ninny
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum