Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Race to the Clouds - Pikes Peak

Rhodris-dad

Imola
After quite a few years of dreaming about watching this event...I have taken the plunge and booked a 15 day trip :D

12.5 miles long, 156 bends starting at 9000 ft rising to 14000 ft. It's the 97th running of the event.

Last year VW spent a fortune on preparing an electric car which took the overall record time off Seb Loeb.

This year sees quite a few 911s and a special class is being ran again...Yokohama Sponsored Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport.

There is even an attempt being made for the fastest production car by a 2019 Bentley Continental GT :?:
Not the usual hill-climb choice :eek:

2 nights in Denver, 2 nights Laramie, a week in Colorado Springs, 2 nights in Santa Fe and then 2 nights in New York 10 weeks to go :D

Lucky you, a friend of mine did it in an RS 200 about 4 years ago, the same time that Guy Martin did it on a motorbike.
It's a bit mad but only in America, enjoy the trip.

Sounds like a great trip!

I'm sure a 911 Turbo S would beat a lardy Bentley in the production car class...

I read a story by some bloke who cycled up Pikes Peak. Hard work anyway, made harder by the elevation.

easternjets said:
Lucky you, a friend of mine did it in an RS 200 about 4 years ago, the same time that Guy Martin did it on a motorbike.
It's a bit mad but only in America, enjoy the trip.

There is RS200 competing this year, UK entry Liam Doran.

Michael Dunlop has announced a ride this year.

Robertb said:
Sounds like a great trip!

I'm sure a 911 Turbo S would beat a lardy Bentley in the production car class...

I read a story by some bloke who cycled up Pikes Peak. Hard work anyway, made harder by the elevation.

Colorado Springs-----Bentley Motors and Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb superstar Rhys Millen will return to America's Mountain on June 30, determined to capture the Time Attack 2 Production record with the breathtaking 2019 Continental GT.

Powered by the world's most advanced 12-cylinder engine, the stunning Continental GT, with Millen behind the wheel, will attempt to set a new Time Attack 2 Production record in the Exhibition Division as they tackle the 12.42-mile, 156-turn course on Pikes Peak. Long time competitor David Donner holds the current TA2 Production record of 10:26.896, set in 2015 in a 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo.

Official story :thumb:

Ive been there, its an awesome place!!! I managed to drive it (in a rental SUV mind you at the 45mph limit) and you see why these guys have balls of steel. Denver & Colorado is a cool place as well, one of the few places in the states that I would happily live in.

We staid in Manitou Springs, its a bit hippyish, it must be brilliant for that week. Try visit the Airforce colleage as well as its quite a cool place.

Sounds like an epic trip with that scenery. :thumb: pics when you go please? Love the Colorado mountains but only been in winter.

coullstar said:
Ive been there, its an awesome place!!! I managed to drive it (in a rental SUV mind you at the 45mph limit) and you see why these guys have balls of steel. Denver & Colorado is a cool place as well, one of the few places in the states that I would happily live in.

We staid in Manitou Springs, its a bit hippyish, it must be brilliant for that week. Try visit the Airforce colleage as well as its quite a cool place.

I am all excited now :D

We fly out on 19th....2 nights in Denver...2 nights in Laramie..... a week in Colorado Springs.....2 nights in Santa Fe....we then hand the car back (convertible Mustang) and fly to New York for 2 nights...back in UK on 6th July.

Bit hectic I know. :D

Just thought some of you would like these.

Awesome event. Had a great time.

Sadly one of the motorcyclists was killed. Ducati rider Carlin Dunne, RIP.

On one of the practice days......I went to stand at a hairpin corner.....just 3 other people there......2 from the UK and one of those lived less than 30 mins done the road from me :lol:

I had a chance to rag the rental Mustang up the course :grin: on one of the practice days. (Albeit, in 2 separate journies)
The car was distinctly smelly when I parked it up.

Meet a flock of wild goats near the top :eek:

Long race day....17 hours

Que at 2 a.m to get in.......3 hours to get off the mountain.

My son and I met Aaron Kaufman, of "Fast n Loud" fame...... really nice chap, spent 5 to 10 mins chatting to us. :thumb:

Trip of a lifetime, but keep an eye out for this fella :evil:

compass atm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrellS
Back