Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

Spend a great couple of hours at Unit 11 in Warrington getting the 993 a minor service. Very thorough as usual and all setup in their new home ........

JgKqRhF.jpg

jonttt said:
:hand: Au Contraire, it is a classic Porsche colour from the period and was very popular with the silver cars. Granted it can be a little overpowering if not toned down subtly with a complimentary two tone effect :)

The smell of the full leather of the C4S is unique still today. No doubt my daily has more cows in it but the quality just is not as it was :worship:

Spending some time with the 993 the past few weeks and looking at it today being driven around by someone else has made me fall in love with it all over again, simply a beautiful car :judge:

Can't say I like blue or carbon in a 993 but it's certainly a well pampered machine.

jonttt said:
Tequipment Carbon Leather steering wheel now fitted :) .....

Matches the other carbon parts including seatbacks perfectly....

ItnX9Zg.jpg

With the sun out and a requirment to check the wheel was fitted dead centre it was a great excuse to go out for a run. Its probably the first fast road run I've done in the car for a few years. The car performed impeccably and the steering wheel fits in perfectly :bandit:

That wheel is very nice indeed.

Where did you find carbon-fibre hard-backed seats? That must actually save a few kilos!

They are a one of a kind made by a fella in Germany :) Although I believe there is another company in Germany which will make the carbon backs for you :dont know:

They are definately lighter than the comforts but I would not call them light :grin:

Another treat for the 993 :)

As time passes, technology obviously improves ..... the sat nav built into the Becker Cascade is one of the casualties ....... given I've been using the 993 a bit :eek: I have found myself using my phone for sat nav duties more and more as ...... its just easier and better.

So I started the search for a suitable phone holder :?:

Now given this is a 993, one of Porsches greatest and finest examples of classic automobile engineering not jsut any old phone holder would do. So the search led me to Rennline in the USA who offer a custom made to fit bracket :thumb:

It is a simple enough concept using a bracket which secures around the clock, is easy to fit and requires no actual modication to the car.

The sales blurb is along the lines of ....

"EXACTFIT MAGNETIC PHONE MOUNT. PORSCHE 911 / 964 / 993
Rennline ExactFit Magnetic Phone Mount.
Fits:
Porsche 911 / 964 / 993

In this day and age, everyone has a cell phone; our lives have come to revolve around them. The problem is that there is no great place in our cars to store them. The market is full of flimsy universal mounts, vent mounts, and mounts that clip or stick to areas of your interior which can and will cause damage. Rennline has solved this problem with our ExactFit phone mounts. These mounts are tailored to your specific model and do not attach to any part of your interior that will cause harm. Most of our mounts are bolt-in units that can be easily installed in minutes. This particular is machined from billet aluminum and clamps around your clock making for a clean and simple installation."

I have used Rennline products before and know their USP is quality and customisation for purpose but at a cost........but I decided to give it a go.

They have a UK distributor at Design911uk, who offer a 5% discount to this forums member.

WARNING...... this is not a cheap item considering you could spend £1 on an alternative option :floor: .......... it works out at a little under £100 delivered :eek:

So order made via Design911UK.

The purchase process was brilliant, great comms and the item was delivered within the week (so they obviously carry them in stock).

On receipt the item to definately up to Rennlines normal enginerring standards.......

DCVGVaW.jpg

wPtUtsY.jpg

5dR7a6b.jpg

So onto the fitting....

Firstly the part is obviously designed for a LHD car ...... but I knew the oil gauge is the same diameter as the clock gauge it is designed to fit and so I figured it could simply be fitted in the same way in a RHD car but obviously on the opposite side ie the LHD dial as opposed to the RHD dial.

This is really simple to fit with the hardest part removing the gauge from the dash, these simnply pull out but if they have not been out much before the rubber gasket can be very stiff to move and its simply a matter of "wriggling" it out little by little.....

Gauge pulled out nb the "orange" gunk is remnants of the sticky glue used to secure the leather to the dash behind (these where hand made after all you know :wink: )

PcNGcVk.jpg

you then simply pull the rubber gasket down the gauge a little to leave a space to fit the phone holder ring...

byzoMjX.jpg

The gauge then simply pushes back in........ and fitted

m47moe5.jpg

I think it looks gorgeous, it is top quality and really retains that retro feel to the car.

Functionally it is very simple, you just stick the supplied metal plate to the back of your phone and it magnetically sticks to the bracket rubber plate. The magnet is very very strong, much stronger than other magnetic phone holders I have used in the past which again goes to the simple quaility of the product. It means the phone is held in place very securely.

Given its location I'll source a short USB phone charger lead which will simply fit in the nearby cigarette socket.

Expensive, yes.........but worth it :bandit:

Just don't wear your watch on your left wrist whilst driving. :grin:

:eek: That rubber has the crust of a ageing celibate monkey's foreskin :what:

It will fit on the right as well.

Attachments

• phone_mount_175.jpg
    phone_mount_175.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 4,704
Zingari said:
:eek: That rubber has the crust of a ageing celibate monkey's foreskin :what:

Somehow I believe you :grin:

Endoman said:
It will fit on the right as well.

I considered that :thumb: .....

But sat nav GPS mode on my phone eats power and it's easier to plug in on the other side :bandit:

I put a socket from a Boxter in the side cover of the center console and ran a wire behind the dash. I have a very right sided bias (but not politically, even though my ex thinks I have).

The Brodit kit for 993 is a much better option IMO. 1/3 of the price and just as secure without having to remove anything. Also comes with integral fast charger.

There are lots of "better" kits and 100% of them are cheaper, however that is not the point of the Rennlist product ie it just looks so damn good in a 964/993 :grin:

IMHO it is the best looking solution but at a massive premium

jonttt said:
There are lots of "better" kits and 100% of them are cheaper, however that is not the point of the Rennlist product ie it just looks so damn good in a 964/993 :grin:

IMHO it is the best looking solution but at a massive premium

Hmmmm not so sure, this looks better, and suits the period more :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back