Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 31
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 6
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
tyinsky
Hockenheim


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 747
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobesetc wrote:
Just picked mine up after install of GR & SSK both from FDM.

That's how it's supposed to feel! I'd say the GR is a better upgrade than the SSK, but I like both. Would def recommend doing GR. Love it.


I bought the GR first, love the feel of it, much more precise and mechanical in feel. Sort of clickity click if that makes any sense.

The SSK was fitted this week and I collected it a couple of hours ago. What a difference. Less sloppy, more accurate. Obviously a shorter throw too but oddly that's not what you notice.

Combined these two are a superb and very noticable upgrade. No idea why 9m can't fit one without cutting/modifying? I suspect whoever gave that advice was thinking about an AWD car and not understanding the differences? It fits perfectly.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Jet Jock
Montreal


Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Posts: 563
Location: Dublin


PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Tobesetc wrote:
Just picked mine up after install of GR & SSK both from FDM.

That's how it's supposed to feel! I'd say the GR is a better upgrade than the SSK, but I like both. Would def recommend doing GR. Love it.


I bought the GR first, love the feel of it, much more precise and mechanical in feel. Sort of clickity click if that makes any sense.

The SSK was fitted this week and I collected it a couple of hours ago. What a difference. Less sloppy, more accurate. Obviously a shorter throw too but oddly that's not what you notice.

Combined these two are a superb and very noticable upgrade. No idea why 9m can't fit one without cutting/modifying? I suspect whoever gave that advice was thinking about an AWD car and not understanding the differences? It fits perfectly.


Great to hear tyinsky Thumb . Looking forward to getting mine back now.
_________________
993 C2, RSR's, Cargraphic 100 Cell Cat, Turbo Twist Hollows, Brembo Big Reds Turbo Brakes, Big Ovals, Wayne Schofield Remap, KW Supersport set up by Chris Franklin, RS engine and transmission mounts, Fabspeed induction kit, FD Motorsport SSK and Golden Rod, MPL Clutch Slave Cylinder, HID conversion...

instagram.com/bazzer_a
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
nickjonesn4
Montreal


Joined: 10 Aug 2017
Posts: 604
Location: Edinburgh


PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Tobesetc wrote:
Just picked mine up after install of GR & SSK both from FDM.

That's how it's supposed to feel! I'd say the GR is a better upgrade than the SSK, but I like both. Would def recommend doing GR. Love it.


I bought the GR first, love the feel of it, much more precise and mechanical in feel. Sort of clickity click if that makes any sense.

The SSK was fitted this week and I collected it a couple of hours ago. What a difference. Less sloppy, more accurate. Obviously a shorter throw too but oddly that's not what you notice.
.


Great review, I would agree with all of this. The added benefit is the increase height of the shift lever which means it falls to hand much more naturally
_________________
1996 Carrera S Vesuvius Metallic
2016 Golf R
2005 AMG E55K Wagon
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Hockenheim


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 747
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Nick. It is a lot better for being higher.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ehcsrop
Newbie


Joined: 01 Nov 2018
Posts: 17



PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
No idea why 9m can't fit one without cutting/modifying? I suspect whoever gave that advice was thinking about an AWD car and not understanding the differences?

Would be very worried if these guys couldn't tell a 2WD from AWD whilst the former was on their ramps.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ehcsrop
Newbie


Joined: 01 Nov 2018
Posts: 17



PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickjonesn4 wrote:
The added benefit is the increase height of the shift lever which means it falls to hand much more naturally

Agreed.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Hockenheim


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 747
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehcsrop wrote:
tyinsky wrote:
No idea why 9m can't fit one without cutting/modifying? I suspect whoever gave that advice was thinking about an AWD car and not understanding the differences?

Would be very worried if these guys couldn't tell a 2WD from AWD whilst the former was on their ramps.


Well something isn't right is it? FDM must have sold plenty of them. I was under my car while mine was being fitted and there is not one place it grounds on anything. All I can imagine is someone there was either thinking about the AWD car (as the old kit did ground on the AWD) or has fitted one without reading the instructions. Dont know

I've got plenty of photos of it with the cover off showing fitted in place and will put them on my blog with a decent review as it is a great mod. thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ehcsrop
Newbie


Joined: 01 Nov 2018
Posts: 17



PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:

Well something isn't right is it?


Its interesting to hear that all fits well on your car.
But, if I could explain in the 2nd person.

Let us say you had agreed with a reputable garage to fit the solid rod to your car.
Having owned the car for a while, you clearly know your car is 2WD, as does the garage, since they had worked on it before and they are a specialist outfit.
You are given an agreed price in writing of £330 +vat, being consistent with the said part and you send the car in.
What would your thoughts be, when you turn up on collection day and they surprised you with a bill that is almost double that amount because they fitted the original part instead, without your approval, siting the reasons mentioned in the earlier posts for doing so ?

Do remember they are a reputable specialist outfit and I trust they know what they are talking about.
Whilst I can not control the thoughts of those who may read in between the lines and form a different opinion, I can at least lay claims to having an original part fitted.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Hockenheim


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 747
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehcsrop wrote:
tyinsky wrote:

Well something isn't right is it?


Its interesting to hear that all fits well on your car.
But, if I could explain in the 2nd person.

Let us say you had agreed with a reputable garage to fit the solid rod to your car.
Having owned the car for a while, you clearly know your car is 2WD, as does the garage, since they had worked on it before and they are a specialist outfit.
You are given an agreed price in writing of £330 +vat, being consistent with the said part and you send the car in.
What would your thoughts be, when you turn up on collection day and they surprised you with a bill that is almost double that amount because they fitted the original part instead, without your approval, siting the reasons mentioned in the earlier posts for doing so ?

Do remember they are a reputable specialist outfit and I trust they know what they are talking about.
Whilst I can not control the thoughts of those who may read in between the lines and form a different opinion, I can at least lay claims to having an original part fitted.


...and a better gear shift than the standard rubbery one. Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Tobesetc
Albert Park


Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 1584
Location: West London, UK


PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just throw into the mix that claims of the new FDM AWD version requiring no modification may be slightly exaggerated, according to my Indy (having installed mine!) Wink
_________________
993 C4, Coupe '94 manual
Previous - '03 986 Boxster S
Photos at TobesEtc.com (work in progress)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Cameltoe & Heel
Barcelona


Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 1343
Location: Preston - Lancs


PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very briefly drove mine for the first time on Tuesday after Geo set-up, the shift feels really solid Smile

Trev
 
  
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
   
kingroon
Monza


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 164
Location: Brighton, UK


PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameltoe & Heel wrote:
Very briefly drove mine for the first time on Tuesday after Geo set-up, the shift feels really solid Smile

Trev

Same here..

Haven't been out for a good drive in a few weeks, but headed to Precision Porsche for the Cars & Coffee Meet on Saturday morning and, with this thread in mind, instantly acknowledged the direct and exact Shifting that the GR and the SSK gives..

That, and my Function First CNC Shifter, and it feels like a Race Car..!
 



42679667182_92febb081c_b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.41 KB
 Viewed:  1137 Time(s)

42679667182_92febb081c_b.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tyinsky
Hockenheim


Joined: 29 Jun 2012
Posts: 747
Location: London, UK

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingroon, your knob appears to have an unusually short shaft. What part is that? Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
kingroon
Monza


Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Posts: 164
Location: Brighton, UK


PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
..your knob appears to have an unusually short shaft..

High School Flashback.. Sad

Joke aside, it's a Function First Shifter.. Cool

http://www.function-first.com/products/interior/classic-shift-knob
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum