Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1st Porsche purchase... forum experience needed!

AA3751

Hi guys

I'm on the hunt for my first Porsche 911 991.1 and looking for some invaluable advice. I am moving from a GTR so it's going to be a change!

For GTRs, the spec is almost the same but you do have to watch out for tyres, brake discs, pads and known issues. There are also lots of aftermarket options with these items.

My budget is around £65k for a decent spec low mileage C2S or a little more for a C4S. Will definitely be looking for one with OPC warranty

What should I be looking out for with a 911? Any known/common issues? Do most people go with OPC/OEM for brakes/tyres? Anything that is a must when it comes to spec and resale value?

Thanks!

You've got a good budget there for a C2s, £65k will get you a low mileage 12/13 car with a good spec.

If you want a C4s you'd need to up the budget about £5k I'd say.

Give Mark @ Stirling's Porsche a call, his cars are impeccable.

Spec wise, Bose, sports Chrono, glass roof, sports steering wheel, as many buttons as possible basically!

I was looking for over 7 months, in the end found the perfect car but without the exhaust but bought it anyway as it ticked all the boxes, don't miss it if I'm honest. You can always add it if need be for circa £2k.

£65k is a great budget to have. :thumb:

Sports Chrono is the must have option for resale purposes and flappy paddles are far more desirable than the PDK buttons.

Other things are more down to individual preference and I'd rather buy for me rather than the next owner. eg. I wouldn't want a 991 with a sunroof unless everything else about the car made it un-missable. Similarly I'd prefer one without the rear wiper.

Heated seats and cruise control would be welcome bonuses.

If you want to retain the OPC warranty going forward you'd need to go with OEM discs/pads and make sure that all 4 tyres have the same 'N' rating.

Happy Hunting. :thumbs:

AA3751 said:
Hi guys

I'm on the hunt for my first Porsche 911 991.1 and looking for some invaluable advice. I am moving from a GTR so it's going to be a change!

For GTRs, the spec is almost the same but you do have to watch out for tyres, brake discs, pads and known issues. There are also lots of aftermarket options with these items.

My budget is around £65k for a decent spec low mileage C2S or a little more for a C4S. Will definitely be looking for one with OPC warranty

What should I be looking out for with a 911? Any known/common issues? Do most people go with OPC/OEM for brakes/tyres? Anything that is a must when it comes to spec and resale value?

Thanks!

Welcome, good budget, but seems too high for a base 991S :thumb: I've been trying to get this baby sold for a while, and with a little discount is around your budget ? (Unless you don't like Guards red)

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-s-coupe-pdk--powerkit-andamp-aerokit/9297925

GTS in disguise, with some very desirable extras, particularly the 430 bhp powerkit, they go like a rocket and sound really amazing, the Sports design kit makes it stand out just a little more, and it's guards, very low miles, recently seriviced.
Good luck with the search but IMHO be mindful of a high price basic S, and the potential depreciation curve, consider something special...

Is the 30bhp noticeable though?

It was an expensive option new and not many around so I presumed it was hardly noticeable?

Red 911's don't seem very popular and that ones been for sale for ages, if you like it I'm sure there's a deal to be had!

gilford said:

It was an expensive option new and not many around so I presumed it was hardly noticeable?

Red 911's don't seem very popular and that ones been for sale for ages, if you like it I'm sure there's a deal to be had!

Presumably, all 991's can't all perform and sound so good!

Not a huge fan of Red but it does look lovely in a 911!

Must have warranty with the car. I'm too pedantic not to have it

So the OPC warranty is invalidated with any aftermarket parts? GTRs would only invalidate whatever you changed so still benefitted from the warranty

How much are OEM pads / tyres / discs ?

Ideally I'd like to closer to £60k but looking at PH and AutoT I'm struggling to find decent spec/mileage 2S's around that price?!?

AA3751 said:
So the OPC warranty is invalidated with any aftermarket parts? GTRs would only invalidate whatever you changed so still benefitted from the warranty

Not invalidated as such. A claim would only be dismissed if the part contribute to the failure but you wouldn't be able to renew when the existing policy expires.

AA3751 said:
Not a huge fan of Red but it does look lovely in a 911!

Must have warranty with the car. I'm too pedantic not to have it

How much are OEM pads / tyres / discs ?

Ideally I'd like to closer to £60k but looking at PH and AutoT I'm struggling to find decent spec/mileage 2S's around that price?!?

T8 is right.......when performing the 111 point check to renew a warranty they are totally *****....eg if the wiper blades aren't Porsche it will fail.

Correct choice with a S ....sports chrono, sports exhaust, PDK
As you will be used to paddles, you might find the thumb changers a bit of a pain. £600+to change to a wheel with paddles.

My advice is to make a list of all your desired extras and then take a look at the one that comes closest......you will have to compromise....unless your list is short :floor:

Don't be tempted to get a basic car over the S just because it has more gadgets. :thumb:

Happy hunting.

Buy OPC Approved Used. Comes with 24 month warranty and will have been put through a 111-point inspection and prepped based on that inspection. You wont really save much over buying from a non-OPC if you plan on/ want an OPC Warranty. False economy buying ftom indy then putting it through 111-point inspection at OPC and putting right anything they find AND paying for the warrantym

To give you an idea how pedantic they are: I had to replace my front tyres when I bought the extended warranty because they were N0 type and the rear were N1. :frustrated:

gilford said:
Definately noticeable, it gives the top-end a real zing. I test drove a GT4 which has the ordinary 'S" engine and it felt flat compared to mine. Very disappointing.

Cameo said:
To give you an idea how pedantic they are: I had to replace my front tyres when I bought the extended warranty because they were N0 type and the rear were N1. :frustrated:

gilford said:
Definately noticeable, it gives the top-end a real zing. I test drove a GT4 which has the ordinary 'S" engine and it felt flat compared to mine. Very disappointing.

Shhhhhh don't mention this to the GT4 owners lol. OP seriously before you commit try an X51/GTS car if you can? the 400 S is good, the 430 is on a whole different level. Having driven both, again I feel it's a big difference. Once you get past the low revs the thing just comes alive like a GT car, one of the best kept secrets in the 911 world, and all done with old fashioned tuning trickery, with the side effect of an amazing soundtrack through the tweaked exhaust.

Prices are strong (screen) on all 991's at the moment, my car was advertised for the same as the red X51. What it does show is prices haven't budged in 6 months. In theory if you believe the doom mongers (me included) it should of fallen fairly drastically.

Part of the problem you have with the 991 is enthusiasts have come round to it gradually, and the 991.1 (IMHO) is becoming more desirable, with prices holding well.

Aluminium body parts aiding lightness, high quality interior, wider trac, more BHP, that bit more space inside, improved PDK box, ride quality, etc etc. The final bonus and what's probably keeping prices bouyant (and Again IMHO) what will always keep them above 997.2 is the emissions, I almost feel guilty taxing the 991...

Anyway good luck with the search.

AA3751 said:
Hi guys

Thanks!

Is the car going to be a daily driver
or a weekend toy? Will it be used for track ? Any plans on long driving tours into europe etc? How did you use the GTR?

Porsches are suprisingly customisable with options and whilst most look the same to people new to the brand, the options make em drive different.

The above questions help us make suggestions for your use rather than 'buy
what I bought" suggestions which people are rightly passionate about.

Also check out the meets section as they are starting up again with spring.

G2 said:
AA3751 said:
Hi guys

Thanks!

Is the car going to be a daily driver
or a weekend toy? Will it be used for track ? Any plans on long driving tours into europe etc? How did you use the GTR?

Porsches are suprisingly customisable with options and whilst most look the same to people new to the brand, the options make em drive different.

The above questions help us make suggestions for your use rather than 'buy
what I bought" suggestions which people are rightly passionate about.

Also check out the meets section as they are starting up again with spring.

Well said I hate people who do that :grin:

car

Just bough a 991.1 C2S from OPC. All the right spec, over serviced, 29k miles £58.5k with two years warranty and a load of extras chucked in.

There are quite a few on the Porsche website. and also plenty outside of the dealer network for 50-55k, admittedly with slighter higher miles/not the same level of service history or prep.

If you want to go non-dealer take a look at Ashgood for starters.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back