Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Zenith Blue C4 993 - now mine :-)

crypticc

(edited to show picture of my car..now purchased, and because the original link is now pointing to a different car)

Hello

New /prospective owner here but thought I'd pop in to say hi but also to ask a small favour.

Looking at this zenith blue 993 c4 car at WC does anyone recognise it?
[Edited with placeholder picture for now. Will upload better one when I get the chance but car is now dirty]

Looks clean and had lots of spend. New springs, stainless exhaust (painted) alignment and paint freshened at the back (the bumper supports still have what I would call an honest patina and good amount of dirt under the lip of the arch gives me some confidence that it wasn't a rear ender or corroded wings)
Checking HPI seems to have gone through a few number plates dipping in and out from :
P Six Nine Nine TMB
Others :
C4GKW
964CUY
1NJK
P570TMW
100PL (dealer plate but I've never known a demo to get a private plate probably worth a fair bit so I'm hopeful it may face been a perk car not have been a workhorse demo)

Has some things that i picked up that need doing that am assured will all be done. Scratches on sunroof. Spoiler bearing grumbles, oil temp needle/ballast, small amount of hopefully surface corrosion in door shut area (not been repainted before from what I can see from - no tell tale signs like overpainted seam etc).

The key condition of sale is bonnet alignment which to be honest concerns me. Also the oil temp failed to work which will be sorted. But should I have been concerned about overheating as the drive continued if say it was the OC ballast?
Finally how many water drain nipples should there be under the front bonnet, or was it random and up to the person who put the car together? I counted three centre and offside.
None I could see on the nearside. Google and search here send to come up with pretty random being the answer.

Thank you
Chris

P. S. I use the end username at m3cutters if anyone else from there :) :p

Attachments

• sketch5010822~2_181.jpg
    sketch5010822~2_181.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 5,494
Welcome.

Can't comment on knowing the car, however I just watched the video and the only thing I can point out is the missing paint code sticker which is usually on the nearside inner wing.
You mentioned poor bonnet alignment... could this be an indication of some front end work?

C.

OK so I don't like the price :roll:

Looks tidy enough just a few things like de-sheening the drivers seat and making sure the AC blows strong and cold along with the other things you mention. Spoiler grumble known issue. If both fans work on the oile cooler and you can hear oil travelling toward it with warm drivers sill and wing then you know its circulating OK.

What's wrong with the bonnet? Shut lines look OK from the pics as the gap at the front looks within spec. Does it press to close easily? If the light lenses to the front look matched then I'd say it's not been knocked.

Nipples. I think there are 4 from memory. They're rubber, they crumble and will fall out over time if a speed bump hasn't taken them out. Not a drama as they're peanuts from OPC.

Zingari said:
Nipples. I think there are 4 from memory. They're rubber, they crumble and will fall out over time if a speed bump hasn't taken them out. Not a drama as they're peanuts from OPC.

Funnily enough I was trying to buy some of these "peanuts" last week, but £10 each put me off! Found them on eBay but can't seem to locate them on Design911 or other retail sites - are they actually called "Drain Tubes" as that's what they are called on eBay but don't show up elsewhere?

Tobesetc said:
Zingari said:

Funnily enough I was trying to buy some of these "peanuts" last week, but £10 each put me off! Found them on eBay but can't seem to locate them on Design911 or other retail sites - are they actually called "Drain Tubes" as that's what they are called on eBay but don't show up elsewhere?

They are the same drain tubes that go inside the headlights 91163125902 and PartsWise have them at €2.27 + VAT plus shipping. As Zingari says 4 pieces required.

ATB :)

Attachments

• under_bonnet_plugs_and_part_number_424.jpg
    under_bonnet_plugs_and_part_number_424.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 7,099
I wouldn't worry about the boot nipples, most cars have lost them. They are only cheap but everyone has trouble finding them on PET. They are actually down as front headlight drainage (they are also fitted there) so not an obvious place to look.

Part number on my journal here:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=183

Ps ignore Zingari's comment on price, he is stuck in 2010 :grin:

decgraham said:
Tobesetc said:
Zingari said:

They are the same drain tubes that go inside the headlights 91163125902 and PartsWise have them at €2.27 + VAT plus shipping. As Zingari says 4 pieces required.

ATB :)

This picture is very helpful. I was looking for the ones on the right to match the ones you see on the left - was thinking absence might be a sign of filling - but looks like they're not symmetrical on yours either and so guess is just how it is.

Zingari said:
OK so I don't like the price :roll:

Looks tidy enough just a few things like de-sheening the drivers seat and making sure the AC blows strong and cold along with the other things you mention. Spoiler grumble known issue. If both fans work on the oile cooler and you can hear oil travelling toward it with warm drivers sill and wing then you know its circulating OK.

What's wrong with the bonnet? Shut lines look OK from the pics as the gap at the front looks within spec. Does it press to close easily? If the light lenses to the front look matched then I'd say it's not been knocked.

A/C is fine and history shows a AC compressor replacement and refil.

I thought the sticker in front wing was on earlier cars before the visible VIN in the lower NS edge of front window. (took that from Jackal's notes) This car has that visible VIN so assumed the sticker inside front wing was never there. Also unless someone managed to get identical levels of surface corrosion on the runners inside the headlamps housing and which looked undisturbed then those at least haven't been touched.

Here's piccy of the concern - I'm hoping just some muppet tried to close bonnet either overfull or with something in the join. Actually looking at vid you can see the rubber is distorted at about that point so maybe it's pressing upwards - I'll point that out to them.

pictures

Attachments

• nsfint_597.png
    nsfint_597.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 6,924
  • img_20190406_160351_447.jpg
    img_20190406_160351_447.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 6,924
tyinsky said:
I just bought a handful of those nipple things at the price Tobesetc was quoted! :pc:

Macadamia type. I always go for monkey nuts :thumb:

Looks like the boot was overfilled or as you surmise something stuck as they tried to close it.

Compressor would be least of my concerns, it's when you have to change the evaporator and the 10+ hrs of labour cost for a £100 part :roll:

That said Crawfords are not know for selling turds rolled in glitter :what:

All 993's had a vil sticker under the bonnet, there were no exceptions
It was 997 when they stopped fitting them apart from a small batch of early 2004 cars

Did the car actually overheat during the test drive? i wasn't sure if I'd understood that correctly from the original post. If it did, you would absolutely want confirmation that the fauly had been rectified and that there hadn't been any knock-on effects of the overheating. I'd be very wary of that though, and it shouldn't occur even if the low speed resistor has failed. The fan thermostat should pick up the overheating and the fan should come on at its full speed if the low speed resistor's failed.

The bonnet alignment issue is worrying, and in particular the distortion of the rail on the wing that carries the seal. That rail wouldn't have left the factory with that kink in it, and it's difficult to imagine what forces could have acted on it to distort it in that fashion. Obviously we're trying to assess this from a photo and without the benefit of being able to see the area in person, but that would be ringing alarm bells, particularly in combination with the adjacent bonnet distortion.

Have you tried contacting Center Gravity and asking them about this car? If they've had it on their geometry rig they will have picked up any oddities.

I suggest caution is required. At the end of the day I think you should be able to secure a good car without obvious bodywork flaws at this price.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back