Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche tracker.

leasky

Had communication from the tracker air time provider (Vodaphone) that they have lost contact with the car and that the problem must be the tracker in the car and they are advising me to take the car (997 GTS) into my local dealer to see what's wrong.

My first thought is that the issue is with Vodaphone as opposed to my tracker suddenly sh#tting itself.

Anyone else been in this situation and what's the concencus?

Thanks in advance,

Colin.

If the car has been parked under ground then that can cause it , they do random tests basically .

not uncommon for the software to get a bit upset .. there are a few things that can be done to get it working again .

Pulling the fuses for 30 seconds is the first thing .. B5 rings a bell but im afraid its been so long i cant remember .

Its also a bit old now so its possible its given up the ghost .. need a tester connected to check basically .

Assuming it's Vodafone, they lost connection with VTS when we got across the Channel Tunnel. They did something remotely and got us back after a while. Didn't get the point of needing to visit Porsche.

As per demort and magic919. It's probably just shut down or no signal. Usually starting the car up and asking Vodaphone to do the self test works.

Battery going flat can affect it if it's in storage, but it's suposed to have a battery backup :dont know:

The tracker fob battery has gone on mine whilst in storage before and that confuses it a bit.

G2 said:
Battery going flat can affect it if it's in storage, but it's supposed to have a battery backup :dont know:

It does but on a 997 then its a pretty old unit im afraid .. cant give any more details though .. if i do ill have to shoot you !

deMort said:
G2 said:
Battery going flat can affect it if it's in storage, but it's supposed to have a battery backup :dont know:

It does but on a 997 then its a pretty old unit im afraid .. cant give any more details though .. if i do ill have to shoot you !
:thumb:

Old Traker

Hi, 1st post as only picked up my first ever Porsche Thursday!
The came came with lots of good history, including Tracker information that allegedly was never registered?
I assume this means there is a Tracker unit in the car! So should be able to have this reactivated?
Or would I be better off given the car is 14 yrs old would I be better off getting a new system installed?

Cheers, Lee.

Welcome young man ..

I'm afraid if the Tracker has never been registered then the chances of it working are slim at best .. its based off a sim card .. companies reuse the phone numbers of inactive ones after a few years .

I'm sure there are far better ones out there these days .

One suggestion .. on a 997 there is an immobiliser circuit as part of this system .. very rarely it can cause issues after flat batterys etc so if your not using it i would advise that you have it removed just to be on the safe side .

Tracker

Many thanks, so the Tracker has an immobiliser circuit? Is it easy to get to or something best left to a Porsche centre!

Its fairly easy to bypass the Immobiliser part of the Tracker if you know the system .... if using an OPC for this then you might as well get them to give Vodafone a call to see if it can be activated first .. i would tend to say 90 % it wont work .. but if you don't try ...

A few years ago I bought a used 997.2 when I tried to get the Vodaphone tracker to work they couldn't get a signal test, unit had shut down, in the end I had to have a new one fitted at the OPC even though I didn't want one the insurers made me have it.

Do old trackers draw power from the battery? Only ask because I have a tracker fitted and the tracker is 13 years old now. I have never used it (I have had the car 9 years) and there is no way the battery in it works now.

They can be the cause of flat batterys , usual test with a meter will show a pulsed discharge every 30 seconds or so of the best part of an amp .

Either way its worth removing if its not used any more .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back