Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wax oil removal

NedHan79

Has anyone any idea of an easy way to strip wax oil off?
Obviously there's the wire wheel/brush approach but surely there's something that could be sprayed on and washed off. I'm planning on painting the body underneath in a bit of a refurbishment but didn't want to do it for a while yet. Mot's up in June and I need brake pipes so I might just end up taking the car off the road in June and just get stuck in to a big list of jobs.

As always,all advice welcome :thumb:

Petrol, cheap and readily available. Works a treat.

I knew all those days of rolling around under rusty old triumph dolomite sprints would pay off one day

Cheers for that. I'm guessing soak a rag and simply rub it? Do I need I degreaser or anything after that?

I used to use an an old paintbrush in a cut off pop bottle and lots of rags. It's a messy job but then, it's a messy job. It's never going to be pretty and your hands will stink for days, unless you wear gloves of course. Gloves were a luxury back in those days.

I recommend a couple of tins of Holsten pils and an episode of Viv Reeves big night out on VHS when you are finished, although that bit is optional....

Put some plastic sheet down on your mums new block paved drive too unless you want a thick ear, although that of course is also optional...

I'm getting a bit nostalgic.

I'll maybe crack open a bottle of something stronger to keep me going when I start. :floor:
Probably not a good idea to be working at something when full of whiskey :grin:

Petrol does work, but keep the garage door open for ventilation and protect your hands if you can.

And yes, you'll need a stiff drink afterwards but don't be temped to drink any leftover petrol!

The petrol might be weaker than the whiskey :floor:

Would tar and glue remover work?
I'm guessing yes but not as well as Petrol

White spirit works too. Not sure whether it's preferable to / less hazardous than petrol...

Good old fasioned parafin will work too - I think vapours from this and white spirit will be less volatile than petrol vapour. They can leave an oily residue so may need a final cleanse with panel wipe or petrol.

We had a mini clubman which had been undersealed on the inside of the boot and I spent a good day cleaning it off. You'll develop a technique of sorts that works best for the product you have - soak, leave then rub off.

Ian

+1 for white spirit (or paraffin). I would start with a pressure washer if you have one, if you haven't there are good ones on sale at Aldi at the moment and worth every penny.

Thanks for the reply guys.
I removed the plastic guards last Saturday and power washed it all so it's ready to go. They're cracked so I have some fibreglass coming to repair them.
Won't be a perfect finish but if done on the top side it should be tidy enough.

Hi

Have you tried a soldering iron and some staples to fix the cracked undertrays

Works a treat on the wheel arch liners and you can use tywraps or an old wheel arch liner to build up material if needed

Solvents will be necessary as others have said but have you considered steam cleaning first - the heat should allow the waxoyl to flow and allow you to remove a fair amount before you start using solvents/degreaser to clean up the rest.

Not sure but you might be able to hire an industrial version which would be more powerful than the Karcher/Polti domestic types.

Just a thought...

Although I can't add anything about removing the sealer, I can say that mixing parafin and diesel oil 50/50 makes a fantastic home made WD40. Great for protecting garden/building tools before,during and after use. Premise it, top some into a small container and apply with a paint brush.

All great tips. I might try the soldering the trays

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back