Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash rattle under part throttle.

noblebenn

This is annoying.

1999 3.4 C4 Tiptronic.

All of a sudden after a few weeks laid up there is a very annoying, mettalic rattle that occurs under part throttle and over a bumpy road.

Appeared out of nowhere and had a good look around and everything seems to be tight and secure.

Anyone any thoughts, i'm hoping the partial throttle is a give away as it happens on a smooth road.

Thanks

Humour me on this as its easy to test... air con gas level?

Try turning the aircon off and see if it still does it.

I ask as mine made a very odd metallic resonance at certain light throttle openings, which was sorted with a gas top-up.

noblebenn

That is GENIUS.

Had the A/C emptied before we took the engine out. Will be re-gassed next week.

If you are correct sir, I salute you.

If the a/c gas is low due to a leak you will get various bearing noises , groaning noises .. actually many different type of noises but they will all go with the a/c switched off .

If there is no gas in the system then the a/c wont work and noises are rather unlikely i'm afraid .

Can you say is the noise an interior or exterior noise .. is it front or rear ?

Exhaust is what i'm thinking if exterior and at the rear .. a certain bracket can break .. baffles can fail in the exhaust .. many things i'm afraid .

More info :)

The gas has been taken out completely for engine removal.

It is an interior noise coming from behind the dash. Wasn't present before the gas was removed and nothing has been touched on the interior so really hoping it is that simple.

Being rehashed midday tomorrow now.

Great shout and I was very hopefully but unfortunately it has not solved the rattle.

Re-gassed today but on a good drive this afternoon it is still there. Must be something simple so I'll keep looking and will report back.

Throttle peddle is a bit loose so will have a play with that or replace it although rattle is coming from above it.

Sometimes i should read posts more thoroughly :oops:

Above the throttle pedal is the fuse board , above that the steel frame for the dash and the steering column ..

If i was looking i would remove the lower panel so i could see in there .. its not a hard job to get it out of the way , workshop manual is here if you don't already have it ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back