Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Second battery in under three years!

Yes, five years on the S5, however I bought mine from somewhere cheap up North who have the most appalling reviews. And posting it back will cost more than a new one. :grin:

Err batteries should last longer than 2years although agree battery conditioners help with the longevity of a battery and it being in tip top condition over longer periods of the car being not in active use.

To try and answer the OP problem, here is a list of things to check:

1) drain across the earth strap: main one in the frunk
2) drain across your starter when cranking. Make sure there is not a residual earth problem
3) charge at your alternator and make sure that the diode is still working as one and it is not draining whilst driving
4) if you car is fitted with the Porsche alarm immobiliser, check the drain whilst the car is running. That's right, not a typo. It is possible to run the car with the mobiliser off but the alarm on and that has a big drain.

All those with battery probs (-two years is a prob) it will be one of these most probably.

Good luck.

Thirded for using a trickle charger. My Ctek one has a recondition mode that i run every few months that seems to be helping as the battery was running down very fast when I first got the car but not now

By now I suspect and hope most of you will have fired up your Porsches having overcome the expected battery issues.

If whatever problems you encountered were down to what may be described as a garage queen existence..(-: or just a lengthy period of inactivity during Winter, as I typed this does not ideally suit the design criteria of battery designed for the expectations of standard vehicle/battery usage... though I am sorry I had forgotten to mention that there is actually a lead acid battery TYPE that is designed for something approaching garage queen lifestyle expectations....

If you care to beam up DEEP CYCLE BATTERY in your chosen search engine you might find an interesting alternative to your standard lead acid battery which may just better suit your Porsches average usage circumstances...?

Deep cycle batteries are generally found in pleasure craft used by the boating fraternity, which tend to have long periods of inactivity over Winter too..

Sorry I know nothing of gel batteries and the variations therein, thus they too may provide alternative advantages..?

Just thinking in type, claiming no expertise.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back