Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

chasing the targa noises!

Demort,

I took some more photos last night. The nearside is definitely not as far "closed" as the offside of the roof. This can been seen by how much the roof pushes against the seals on both sides and the angle of the rods.

Is it possible to wind one side of the roof more closed than the other by just turning one motor manually or do you have to do both at the same time?

I have a contact with some thick grease to put in the front brass sliders - but as these are changable without removing the roof, if that doesnt work.... is it the brass blocks that wear - i would consider getting a local fabrication shop to make some replacements if that were the case!

Thanks for the ongoing assistance!

Regards

Chris

Attachments

• near_side_front_seal_158.jpg
    near_side_front_seal_158.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 2,638
  • nearside_rod_170.jpg
    nearside_rod_170.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,638
  • off_side_front_seal_171.jpg
    off_side_front_seal_171.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 2,638
  • offside_rod_138.jpg
    offside_rod_138.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 2,638
Ok .. hmm .. that's not quite right there ..

Did you try and manually move the roof a bit further forward and if so did the roof close fully on the n/s and did the rattles stop ?

If not that's the first thing to try .

I have a feeling here that the rear micro switch has got dirt build up on it and is perhaps operating slightly before it has done in the past .

Basically the cables cant go out of adjustment unless they slip or have been incorrectly adjusted ..

Slipping happens when the roof pretty much jams and you'll get a horrible grinding noise from a motor as it slips on the cables ..

Your roof has been working fine and hasnt been touched so logically im thinking its the switch at fault .

Try the manual approach .. if it shuts fine at that point then clean and adjust the rear micro switch .. mark its original position before removing so you have a reference .

After that get back to me :)

Thanks for the reply

I tried closing manually a little but it didn't move and it was with what I would consider a reasonable amount of force.

I wonder it it just isn't in correctly as the while roof has been out in the past (before I owned it). It was sold in 2010 as the roof didn't work and the guy didn't want to pay to get it fixed. And there are scratches in some strange places!

Not constructive I know, but every time I see the thread title in the new posts I think that somebody loves the sound of a Targa and is trying to recreate it in a non-targa.

MC

The manual method can be tricky if you have never done it before .. the allen keys must be pushed in first , this disengages the motor gear and you can then turn them .. keeping both allen keys pushed in at the same time .. you can open and close the roof this way .

Don't force the turn though .. if it doesn't move them leave it .

Im still of the opinion the roof can close further .. the reason is both arms can go past the 90 degree although to be fair not by much .. also ..

We have limited options here .. i would rather confirm that micro switch adjustment / cleaning or manually moving the roof doesn't work first as the only other option is trying to adjust the cables on the fly and that's not something even i like to do .

Roof out in the past .. that explains what i saw on one of the front mechanisms .. its damaged .. not to the point of making a difference i feel but it shows something bad has happened in the past ..

I've seen that marking before shall we say .

This is one of those jobs that even if you were 150 miles away i would be saying i want to see it .. but where you are then that's just not feasible and its frustrating for me as i can say a hell of a lot more if i can see the car .

Do me a favour .. remove the rear panel to get at the motors then take a couple of pictures .. 1 in each corner ( drain pipe area ) and one back a bit to give an overview .. large image please so i can zoom in .

If you can't post them here due to size then email me please .

[email protected]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back