Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C4 GTS

kiteral

After looking for a 911 a few years ago (registered here 2012 !) I got way laid by Audis and BMW's.

Am now in the lucky position to run a 911 as a second car, so have started the hunt.

Drove a 991 C4S back to back with a 997 C2 GTS, and found the GTS much more of an occasion to drive, but it was in white, which is a colour, I'm struggling to like.

Have seen this online https://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/9428788-1148990-porsche-911-gts-2dr-pdk-coupe/. which is my ideal colour but not a C2.

It's been on sale for a while at Sytner select, as it was discussed in this thread

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Having not driven a C4, is there much noticeable difference in the steering and Handling ?
Also, what sort of advice is there in buying a Porsche from a non franchised main dealer ?

Oh god, it would be really tough to choose between that and a Turbo. Really nice looking car. If you're planning to blast it around B roads rather than do any serious track time you'll probably not suffer by having 4WD.

Just look at it! If you're after a GTS, get it bought!

Usual rules apply when buying a car from a normal dealer... best practice is get it inspected by an expert if you can. The Gen 2 997 is a safer bet than many though.

You could get it inspected post-purchase by an official dealer, then shell out for a proper Porsche warranty. The Sytner Select one is likely to only be for a few months.

Looks like a great car!

I'd be amazed if anyone could honestly tell any difference between 2 and 4wd on the road, 99% of the time.

What are the sort of faults to look for on a 997.2 ? Could not find much guidance. Sytner warranty is 6months with a £4K claim limit.

Do you still have to wait 90 days after purchase before sticking an Porsche warranty on ?

Given Sytner own Porsche dealers I wouldn't worry about the car. There must be reasons not to stick it through the Porsche warranty, so expect some not approved things, such as tyres and battery. Might be worth enquiring what else.

Consumables will be a factor with that mileage. Might be worth checking discs and pads.

I wouldn't worry about engine and gearbox.

Front end will be a bit less alive, like on the C4S but not a huge hardship.

I was looking for a 997 C4S but ended up test driving a 997 GTS. A couple of days later I was persuaded to try a 991 C4S out. Sorry to say and possibly insult owners of 991's but I found there was no comparison, the 991 was a bit dull and possibly too refined for me.
I totally forgot about the 997 C4S, parked the 991 and fell for the 997 GTS and don't regret it one bit! It had a similar mileage as the one advertised with an OPC warranty but glad to say I've not had to call on that at all.
At the end of the day we can all be drawn towards a newer model so I simply say this, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

wizzwam said:
I was looking for a 997 C4S but ended up test driving a 997 GTS. A couple of days later I was persuaded to try a 991 C4S out. Sorry to say and possibly insult owners of 991's but I found there was no comparison, the 991 was a bit dull and possibly too refined for me.
I totally forgot about the 997 C4S, parked the 991 and fell for the 997 GTS and don't regret it one bit! It had a similar mileage as the one advertised with an OPC warranty but glad to say I've not had to call on that at all.
At the end of the day we can all be drawn towards a newer model so I simply say this, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Probably need to compare like for like? No dullness or refinement on a 991 GTS :grin: Lighter wider, lower and more power. 997 GTS is a cracker though :thumbs:

Magic919 said:
Given Sytner own Porsche dealers I wouldn't worry about the car. There must be reasons not to stick it through the Porsche warranty, so expect some not approved things, such as tyres and battery. Might be worth enquiring what else.

Consumables will be a factor with that mileage. Might be worth checking discs and pads.

I wouldn't worry about engine and gearbox.

Front end will be a bit less alive, like on the C4S but not a huge hardship.
This is good advice all round.

If warranty is even remotely a consideration you must get it inspected formally first so you know what that kicks up. A 4k claim limit wouldn't be enough for me if I wanted a warranty. The peace of mind you want from a warranty is engine, gearbox, etc cover. Which that won't.

I made a mistake in not getting the inspection done as part of purchase so am running the gauntlet with no warranty now :)

The blue car looks great - it's a great colour. Just needs weiss gold wheels and decals :)

I might be inclined to look at a well spec'd C4S first though as comparison for a good chunk less.

kiteral said:
What are the sort of faults to look for on a 997.2 ? Could not find much guidance. Sytner warranty is 6months with a £4K claim limit.

Do you still have to wait 90 days after purchase before sticking an Porsche warranty on ?

The 997.2 is about as bullet proof as a 911 comes but it's worth getting it checked out with an independent PPI - or, if you're planning on an OPC warranty, a 111 point check.

You do have to wait 90 days before attempting to get the warranty but at least having the 111 point check done before purchase will tell you how much you'll need to factor in / negotiate before buying the car.

The Sytner warranty will cover you should little things happen in that 90 days. If anything bigger happens they would still be obliged under the 'Sale of Goods Act' to fix it.

murph7355 said:
I might be inclined to look at a well spec'd C4S first though as comparison for a good chunk less.

I wish there was some C4s's around but they all seem to be about the same price give or take a few thousand !

Someone listed a 997.2 C4S on here the other day at a very reasonable price.

That sytner GTS is a great example . Being a '4" it's lower production number than a '2". Also a rare colour, so many are black or white .
IMO that is a very good price too , just traded my GTS in last month.

Do it :thumb:

Ashgoods have a fantastic manual C4s GTS at £60k, thats super rare , and a safe place to park your £ I would say.

Thanks, saw the nice C4S listed but a little high on the mileage for me and also black.

That Ashgood car is nice 👍

Heads up, Porsche Chester have a 4GTS with 26K that's just popped up. It may be worth contacting them. I got into mine last month and it's been excellent. Ask for Andrew :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back