Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fault code reader

NedHan79

Suzuka
Can anyone recommend a fault code reader for home use on my 996?
Obviously wanting to fault find and reset codes as well as service lights switch off etc.

I have 2 newer bag cars so something that would work with them would be a bonus but not necessary.

I bought an angel md802 all systems as it did Porsches including live data and airbag resets and pretty much every other make too. Link is below on Amazon but I paid about £150 for it but I think a need version is out now. The one I have does what I need on my range rover, infiniti and 996 and am happy with it. Porsche specific I think the durametric is the best but more money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/OBD-II-E...Diagnostic-Electronic-Transmission/B01IP5S864

Thanks kbald. I've had a quick search through stuff on google. There's a variety and I've no idea what to go for. Always good to hear from someone that actually uses one.
My post was supposed to say 2 newer vag cars. I really need to start looking at what I'm writing. :frustrated:

I dont want a porsche specific one if I can get one to do all.

No problem. That one will do Volkswagen cars too. After hours of research it seemed the best value to do all car systems, have live data and was multi vehicle too.

You can get cheaper ones that either don't do all the systems, have no live data or are locked to one brand.

Anyway good luck with the search and hope I've helped in someway.

I'll get a proper look later when I get a chance but if it's good enough for you, it'll be good enough for me :thumb:

Will these do all the reports that show overrev history etc? I think maybe that's under DME?

Head.
That's maybe into more money than I wanted to spend. I only really need the basic functions.

Steve B
I had seen those on design 911's site. Would have been my first choice but wanted to see what other options are out there and if any could be used on my other cars

So is it only the durametric that can do the DME reports for overrevs?

I did see DME listed as a subsystem for the icarsoft reader, but I've never found a thread where someone has confirmed that.

I have this

https://www.mycarly.com/product/used-car-gebrauchtwagen-check/

it gives information on over revs.

the developers started with BMW but quickly created the Porsche version after their own 911 went bang.

it does a lot more now than when I bought it as they have developed the diagnostic side of it. it only did the over rev check when I bought it. only last night I updated the app on my iPod so I could see what it does now - but I forgot my iPod today and can't check.

I have a durametric too and it won't tell you anything more about over revs than the Carly.

I just gave my carly a quick try. Looks pretty comprehensive.multiple Live readouts , data logging. Seems to offer as much as the durametric with out the ability to change settings.

Great value and simpler to connect than my durametric pro which needs a laptop.

So does the Carly do the full fault finding and light resets? It's obviously cost effective but they're website seems a little sketchy at a glance

I agree that the website isn't great. I was looking at it this morning trying to find a user guide. I can't see if it resets or clear faults - as I don't have any faults currently. I did some data logging though. Possibly not as many parameters the durametric, but enough - engines speed car speed water temp, throttle position, all o2 voltage and fuel, long term fuel trim and short term fuel trim, mad, inlet temp and a couple of others that I can't remember.

The obd is €61 but there is an additional coast for the full diagnostics which I can't remebet what I paid. Possible another €60.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back