Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche purchase

Stewtomcat2

Hi all I have approximately £18,000 to spend what would my Best Buy be a cayman or a carrera ?

Hi Stewtommcat2, interesting question which could have many answers depending on what you are looking for in your chosen Porsche.
The choice would probably be dictated by the condition of the car, what funds you are willing to spend on it and your feeling when you drive each one because they are quite a bit different from each other.
There's loads of stuff here on this excellent forum about each car so it's worth
doing your homework, read through all the stuff and the answer should present itself to you, hopefully! Good luck

They are two completely different cars.

If i was you i'd check out as many Porsche cars within (say) 20 miles of you and go and have a good test drive; if you've got friends who've got Porsche's go and badger them for a go. Alternatively look at the meetings section and go along and meet the members on this site - you'll be amazed at how nice and helpful they can be.

I'd try:
- a Cayman
- a Boxster (particularly the S)
- a 996 C2/C4/C4S

not sure £18k will get you a 997.

If i was you i'd be looking to spend c£15k of your budget on a car and keep back £2-3000 to spend on getting some jobs done on your new P&J to get it in a great shape; don't forget that - for that budget you'll get a 12+ year old car.

I know several fellow members on here who have paid sub £10k for a nice condition Boxster S and then spent a few quid getting them into pristine condition and absolutely love them.

The Cayman is supposed to be a smashing car (sadly, i've never driven one)

I love my 996 C4S and will never sell it.

But go and test drive a load of them and chose what style car you want then get on the hunt.

Please also make sure you check back in here with questions and share possible target car ads; lots of members might know the car you might want to look at or give you help and advice - they were superb with me when i bought mine a few yeas ago.

Good luck m8 :thumb:

Osh

Stewtomcat2 said:
Hi all I have approximately £18,000 to spend what would my Best Buy be a cayman or a carrera ?

Straight answer here....

If I were you , I would go for a Cayman S as good a spec as you can get ... great handling car and great entry to Porsche ... its a better handling car than a 911 in your price range and will offer you a good learning curve and appreciation of the marque...
There are lots of good cars out there ( and dare I say a number of dodgy ones ) join the PCGB and have a look for a member selling on there .... most of these guys keep their motors in best condition...

Good Luck ..

For a first Porsche and with an £18k budget = Cayman.

Is it going to be a daily driver? That would have a big influence on my decision what to go for?

I drove a Cayman for the first time last year and was very impressed, I think you would get much more for your money with a Cayman, newer, lower mileage and maybe more toys too! Unless you yearn for a 911 or want open air motoring I think it's a great into to Porsche ownership! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back