Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

after a 997

Exelzion

Trainee
Hi, im looking for a good, solid 997.1 4S with the IMS done.
Or
a 997.2 4S

I'm not bothered about the color, just aslong the interior is black.
Im not looking to pay anything over priced as i don't plan to keep it for too long as i plan to move to North Carolina in the next few years.

If anyone has one for sale, let me know here please. i want to say away from ebay ect, id rather get a car from an enthusiast.

Also if you know anyone who wants a cheap 996.2 let me know as i want to sell this one i have, cheers guys

Do some homework on the 3.8 gen 1. The issue is bore scoring not ims.

Ive done my homework, my previous 997.1 had an IMS fault and i had to sell it for 13k, so making sure it gets done in my new purchase.It also had bore scoring too ( or atleast so he said when he put the camera in ).

Ideally, i would prefer both done.

Im not one for going crazy over IMS, my 2002 996.2 hasn't had the IMS done and its perfectly fine, but paying around 20k+ i really do want it done after my previous experience of these cars.

What's the going rate for a preventative measures IMS upgrade these days?

At somewhere like Autofarm or Hartech?

About £4k as the only realistic preventative measure is an engine rebuild and bigger bearing fitted.

Get a car with the newer IMS bearing post march 2006 all were the newer better IMS but some 05 cars were done , heres the definitive engine numbers .

Last IMS revision before no IMS (Gen2 MA1 block):

997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

997 Carrera S 3.8 with engine numbers from M97/0168509790 are the new IMS design.

M97/01 = 997 3.8 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
8 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
09790 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit.

if you want the lowest risk of borescore and cant find a rebuild to buy then go for a 997.1 3.6 manual car . but get it scoped as part of your PPI

Exelzion said:
Or
a 997.2 4S

Im not looking to pay anything over priced as i don't plan to keep it for too long as i plan to move to North Carolina in the next few years.

If anyone has one for sale, let me know here please. i want to say away from ebay ect, id rather get a car from an enthusiast.

Also if you know anyone who wants a cheap 996.2 let me know as i want to sell this one i have, cheers guys

I wouldn't discount a 3.6ltr 997.2 either as these can be a bargain; especially when one considers the performance figures alongside a gen 1 S model.

If you can afford a Gen 2, buy a Gen 2.

Agree with above comment, 3.6 gen 2 is a real "bargain". Although I am somewhat biased. Drive one and you won't be disappointed.

alex yates said:
About £4k as the only realistic preventative measure is an engine rebuild and bigger bearing fitted.

Could you explain a bit more for me please? Why would the engine need a rebuild when a new bearing is fitted? Or do you mean £4k is the cost of a rebuild and upgraded IMS on an engine that has already failed?

I thought that an upgraded IMS bearing could be fitted at the time when a clutch change is done. Surely this cannot be £4k?

An upgraded bearing is in the realms of £500 for parts (that is an expensive bearing).

M

Alex can speak for himself of course, but I think he's referring to the machining needed to covert to the later, larger diameter bearing.

MattyR said:
Exelzion said:
Or
a 997.2 4S

I wouldn't discount a 3.6ltr 997.2 either as these can be a bargain; especially when one considers the performance figures alongside a gen 1 S model.

I had a 3.6 gen 2 for 4 years ran like a sewing machine I did the standard services with opc main dealer & filters belts other than that I spent nothing on it had 45000 on it when I sold it, so based on my experience I would recommend the Gen 2 -main dealer was keen to buy back & based on that it tells a storey, if you can find one mid £30k`s I say its a good deal.

Buy a 06> car dont worry about IMS

early 04 to 05 (approx) cars, the IMS can be replaced relitivly easy, with the clutch removed around £1-1500 the later cars late 05> (approx) if you want this upraded the IMS is within the engine case and would require the case spliting as mentioned above

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back