Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 911 has finally caught the 928

You've just reminded me of one of the worst Porsche experiences I ever had, a 928 S2, nearly bankrupted me, not just in parts which were ridiculously priced but also in that it drank more than Oliver Reed!

Luckily I got shot of it and bought a 968 which I still rate as one of the best cars I've owned.

T8 said:
James M-S said:
Panamera = today's 928 :dont know:

That's my thinking. They're both big, lazy front-engined 4-seater GT cars. If the Panam' only had two doors there'd be absolutely no argument.

Whatever happened to that. I'm sure I saw articles years ago that Porsche was planning a new Panamera-based 928. That would fly off the shelves I would have thought

Never really liked the panamera maybe if they renamed it the new 928 I would :?: Yes think I would then.

Really fancy a 968, think it might be a great investment! Saw a lovely white one in Milton Keynes last week! A friend has a 944 which is surprising nice to drive, even though it's not in the best state of repair!

Reserving judgement on the 992 till I see one in the flesh, from what I have seen I quite like the front end but the rear looks like a bit of a mistake, and really not keen on the wing/spoiler thing! :nooo:

I had a 968 coupe, wasn't blistering fast but handled brilliantly in the dry!

If you can find a C/Sport they would be an amazing keeper/investment, I know they've climbed in value a lot recently.

Very cheap to own and run.

Attachments

• 968_167.jpg
    968_167.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 3,319
T8 said:
Roro said:
Whatever happened to that. I'm sure I saw articles years ago that Porsche was planning a new Panamera-based 928. That would fly off the shelves I would have thought

We were 'talking' about it 7 years ago would you believe. :eek:

Here --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=74075&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Sadly it never did happen. :sad:

7 years! :what:

It's a shame the new 928 never materialised, but from this thread it's clear that Porsche decided to create a new 928 by the backdoor in the form of a bigger 911 ... :pc: :grin:

easternjets said:

If you can find a C/Sport they would be an amazing keeper/investment, I know they've climbed in value a lot recently.

Now that IS a good looking car ....
!!

Ill take a 968 Sport please .... perfect for UK roads

T8 said:
Roro said:

We were 'talking' about it 7 years ago would you believe. :eek:

Here --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=74075&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Sadly it never did happen. :sad:

Yes I remember and has sent the rendered drawing to my man at Porsche to see what he knew about it ...... he denied any knowledge at the time , I wasn't too chuffed , thought he was holding back....
It was a better looking car than the Panamera iterations became ..

T8 said:
Boxsters and Cayman are the entry level Porsche sports cars but they too are big compared to a 924.

Bigger than a 993 too.

BIG lazy front engined... Seems you forgot to add water cooled... ? (-:

Lazy, well that depends upon how you care to drive I guess, and my old pal Tony sure hustled his 928 around a small and tight circuit in ways that impressed, the car seemed to shrink relative to my expectations of it`s capabilities..

As for expense of 928 parts, seems to me that even in the cheapest of Porsches the parts were ever VERY expensive, even when they had VW stamped on them as their source of supply..? Who ever heard of paying for the name...?

Seem to have read somewhere in the distant past that Porsche were to start building a Chelsea tractor, and that it might just keep the brand alive during a period of difficulties.... who would have thunk it..? But then the interweb is full of lies is it not.. though I have seen tractors carrying the Porsche name have I not... Yeah must all be in my imagination :?: :floor:

T8 said:
The Porsche GT car, a 21st Century 928 if you like, is the Panamera. Have you seen the size of that? :grin:

Big they are, but they don't feel it when you drive them. For a large car they have a light, nimble feel to them.

911TEL said:
easternjets said:

Now that IS a good looking car ....
!!

Ill take a 968 Sport please .... perfect for UK roads

968 Sport is a lovely car and I was seriously interested in one.

Casting my mind back, it was in 2007!!! :wtf:

I can't believe where the years have gone........... good ones, at that time, were fetching £10k :dont know:

At that time the 968 was the best handling Porsche. Engine in the front, trans-axle at the rear...perfect balance.

....and even by today's standards, a good looking car.

I bought that car from an OPC in Exeter, had it for a year and sold it as I had it on the 'drip' and it was costing too much, needed a service and tyres as well.

A couple of years later I got a call from the lady who had it saying she was selling it but had lost the radio code. I asked what she was being offered for it, as it was at an OPC trade in price it was just book, so I offered her a bit more and bought it the following day. Fully serviced, new tyres and battery and only 6k miles in that time. Ran it for another couple of years then sold it again, when I last checked on the register it had disappeared off the DVLA in the early 2000's so it was either exported or written off.
The guy who bought it off me actually sent me letter saying what a brilliant car it was and thanked me for selling it to him, that doesn't happen very often!
I lived in Inverness when I owned it and everyone thought I was dealing drugs or something, it was worse I was selling mobile phones!!

I lived in Inverness when I owned it and everyone thought I was dealing drugs or something, it was worse I was selling mobile phones!!

You didn't wrap them up in dead rats did you :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back