Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997TT major service - additional advisories..

slackster

Spa-Francorchamps
Evening all,

Im after a bit of advice if you please!

So the car came out of hibernation this week and went in for a major service & MOT with the local OPC. This went as expected but I was advised to get the following done ASAP and wondered if I need to jump on them because leaving them will be catastrophic or whether I can spread them out a bit since the car is running perfect (and has done for years)

For reference - MY2007 with 54k on the clock, garage queen/fair weather motor only - putting typically 1k miles per year, last major was 2015 based on my book stamps and it looks like a tick in 'spark plug replacement" but a cross in 'drive belt checked/replaced"

1) tiptronic transmission fluid replacement

2) replace drive belt and AWD fluid

3) replace spark plugs

Cheers

My car is the same age as yours and has just had the 12 year major done.

Like yours my plugs were changed 4 years ago and my drive belt was checked not replaced.

I had them and the AWD fluid done. Mine didn't need the Tip oil change as it had a new box 2 years ago and the oil is a 12 year replacement item.

All of these things are time related not mileage so, according to Porsche, should be done.

Whether you do so or not is up to you.

Drive belt is replaced every 6 years .. it can go longer .. Indys check it foc .. opc,s charge you to check it ... we look for cracks in the belt .. ive changed many at 6 years with not a single crack .

Tiptronic fluid .. get it changed .. its due at 12 years .. a lot of people do it sooner .. it wont suddenly go bang at 12 years and 1 week but its an item that is already 12 years old .. its oil and could do with being replaced .

Spark plugs are every 4 years .. they can go longer on this model .. not on a gen 2 though .. plugs are mileage and time related so 40K .

Indys are far cheaper than OPC,s btw .

cheers for the cross check lads, I appreciate the advice!

I've reached out to revolution Porsche to get quotes, certainly didn't fancy paying the £1600ish to the OPC for all of these :eek:

Revolution are good :thumb:

slackster said:
I've reached out to revolution Porsche to get quotes, certainly didn't fancy paying the £1600ish to the OPC for all of these :eek:

This shows that it pays to (a) have a good relationship with your OPC and (b) get PCGB discount.

My service including all the above items (except the TIP Oil change obviously) + brake fluid change + MOT came in at £1402. I got to play in a Macan for 2 days too. :)

If it's any consolation, I'm in a similar position with my 2007 997 GT3. I've been 'caught' for plugs, gearbox oil and drive belts. :floor:

I normally get all service and maintenance work done by Sports & Classic but can't bring myself not to maintain the run of OPC dealer stamps in the service book. I might never sell it, but if it ever sold, I still (perhaps mistakenly) think it might count for something.

T8 said:
slackster said:

This shows that it pays to (a) have a good relationship with your OPC and (b) get PCGB discount.

My service including all the above items (except the TIP Oil change obviously) + brake fluid change + MOT came in at £1402. I got to play in a Macan for 2 days too. :)

This is spot-on. Having a relationship with an OPC (and an indy) is key to maintaining the car cost-effectively by being selective in who does what. My annual servicing, major/minor/spark plugs/brake fluid and any advisories arising therefrom are all done by OPC. My car had OPC history when I bought it and I am now into my 7th year and have maintained the OPC history. I have found my OPC to be very fair and have never up-sold me work that I did not need or was far off that could wait. For much of the services, the difference with that of an indy on the fixed price scheme is not worth losing the OPC stamp. There is a perceived value in those stamps no matter what anybody says - indy or personal car owner - at resale time not necessarily a financial value argument. There is work that I would only take to an indy - outside of annual services - but given the often long wait times, I have taken that work to OPC who with their labour rates for modern classics price very competitively against indys and warranty the work for two years and very little wait time for getting it onto the ramp. My OPC have looked at something on my car immediately in a day when I called them, and diagnosis there and then and a ramp slot two or three days later and problem sorted, end of story.

Revolution are people I have met. Russ is good - but not an OPC technician going off memory, but certainly helpful and pleasant. The mechanics are OPC trained. They will put the car through a meticulous OPC style VHC that will flush out work on these cars which are getting on in age now. Then you can decide how to proceed. The labour rate they were offering a few years back was the same as my indy down the road - so nowt in it for me to take it across the Pennines. In this cheshire/west yorkshire/lancashire area, we are spoilt for choice with so many indys to choose from and three OPCs (excluding Leeds) - and a huge span in labour rates from £50/hr to £80/hr + VAT in both cases. The £50/hr labour rates are just as competent as those at £80/hr with some being OPC trained and/or Hartech trained. I am sure that there must be some poor examples out there in this area - but nobody has mentioned them to me (probably out of embarrassment that someone screwed up the service or something).

But it pays to maintain a relationship with both a good OPC and a good indy or two.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back