Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me buy a (decent) 996

that does sound like a decent deal. Initially it seemed to much (to my eyes) for a car that looked rather grubby underneath. As a comparison, for not much more this one seems really clean -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...rentrq:53f0da931690a9c4c36935d1ffcb99f9|iid:1

But if they carry out that work to a good standard then happy days.

I've been informally looking for a 996 (C2) for a while now. My sales naivety is such that I'd never have thought bartering for all that work was even an option.

GMG said:
...I believe FGP should be avoided like the plague...

I think that's a bit harsh....
Everyone deserves a second chance, and that car itself looks very nice apart from the mileage.

g911omr said:
GMG said:
...I believe FGP should be avoided like the plague...

I think that's a bit harsh....
Everyone deserves a second chance, and that car itself looks very nice apart from the mileage.

Think he's on his 4th or 5th chance now :grin:

There is a whole thread on it :thumb:

Yeah, as mentioned I read some mixed reviews of that seller. I don't doubt there are cleaner cars for the money but by the same measure there are also worse ones for more. You pays your money...

Hey UncleP

Any news on the repair work? Will be interesting too see the 'after' pics.

No news yet. SMS called on Tuesday last week to ask if I wanted a quiet or a loud exhaust as they were ordering the replacement. I half expected them to get C&C in hillington to repair the one that was blowing so quite encouraged by the fact they seem to be replacing it.

They couldn't say when the work would be finished and I didn't press them as I'm in no rush. I called In to Deutsch Tek and asked Craig to do the brake line that goes over the gearbox while it was out.

Update on this.

Still no car.

The salesman at SMS has been less than useless and is really putting me off buying this car. He never calls with an update and when I call him he can never answer my questions.

Thankfully Deutsch Tek who are doing the work have been great. They have replaced the brakes, brake lines (including the one above the gearbox), new Dansk exhaust, new condensers, new clutch, new RMS and resealed IMS cover along with a service. Also had me over to inspect the work as they did it. Great bunch of guys who are true petrolheads.

The story is they have now discovered a coolant leak while testing the car and are not happy to put it out. SMS couldn't tell me where the leak was "a seal" was the answer, said it would be at least 5 days for the part to come in. I had to chase for this info on what was supposed to be the collection day. This has really annoyed me.

I can take 2 views on this. 1 they actually are very vigilant and want the car to be right. 2 DANGER! RUNNNNNNNN.

+1

I also suspect that most (if not all) the profit is vanishing from this deal, so the salesman is less than enthusiastic about it, hence not knowing what's going on.

Make sure you get all the work done before you hand over any cash to these guys uncle p , I have dealt with these guys in the past , once you have over the cash you have no chance !
I take it the salesman is Colin ?
He was very nice till the deal was done , then he made out I was a pain in the arse because I went back with a couple of issues .
I bought a jag off them a few years ago miriad of problems with it , tyres down to the wire on the inside edge , emmisions through the roof , wheel bearings knackered ,cracked thermostat leaking coolant .
This was after I got an inspection done , I suspect he paid the inspector off !
I'm not trying to put you off but please be careful , check all work has been done to your satisfaction before you pay them

Thanks for the warning Brucey. I paid a small deposit of a few hundred but ensured I did so by phone using my credit card so I was covered.

The salesman is called Hugh. Im not aware of Colin. There seems to be 2 guys called Hugh and a Peter. I did actually buy a car from the before without issue and they have been around for ages selling some very expensive cars (currently 2 e types).

Nevertheless I appreciate the warning so will take care. They currently aren't filling me with optimism.

I bought 3 cars from them , a 944 s2 , then an Impreza , it was the jag I had the problem with , I would never go near them again .they told so many lies it's hard to remember them all .
They told me car would be fully serviced , once I got it home I realised the oil was dirty and the oil filter had not been changed , serviced my arse !!
I had similar problems to you before I picked the car up , took weeks for it to be ready , finally I was told it was ready ,drove in with my trade in cancelled the Insurance , set up new Insurance only to be told in fact the car wasn't ready , I should have told them to stick it there and then .
Sounds as if Colin has left , Hugh is the owner I had many irate phone calls with him , he told me a new timing chain had been fitted to the car , I actually contributed money towards this , only for it to snap after 2 months totally destroying the engine .i ended up taking a Volvo t5 off him instead of the jag , was out of pocket by quite a bit and was stressed out my head dealing with them .

God! No wonder you've never been back.

The Hugh that I've been dealing with definitely isn't the owner. I've not met the other Hugh.

Were your other purchases ok?

Hugh McKinnon is the owner , in his 70's don't know if that is the same guy . First 2 cars were good , that's one of the reasons I was so angry , I had been a good customer .
They had put a years mot on the car , no way should it of passed , I threatened to take the car to the mot standards place in bishopbriggs only then did he start to admit mistakes had been made .
I hope your car is ok , I'm sure it will be , just have a proper check over it mate .
Does it have fsh ? , I actually contacted them about that car , he said it had no service history as the previous owner had lost it , then a few weeks later it was advertised with fsh .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back