Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Private plate P911 ***

So the plate I bid on/lost is now advertised on several sites :dont know: Checked with DVLA and apparently this is common practice! Wondering how this works? Surely a plate dealer can only advertise the registrations if they have an agreement with someone to do so :?: If that't the case, there must be some sort of agent in the middle that buys the registration with the sole purpose to sell on through a dealer!

Anyone know what's going on here?

DucatiRob said:
So the plate I bid on/lost is now advertised on several sites :dont know: Checked with DVLA and apparently this is common practice! Wondering how this works? Surely a plate dealer can only advertise the registrations if they have an agreement with someone to do so :?: If that't the case, there must be some sort of agent in the middle that buys the registration with the sole purpose to sell on through a dealer!

Yes quite common for people to buy up registrations via DVLA auctions to resell them for a profit.

The amount they sometimes pay surprises me as it's usually much more than i'd be prepared to pay myself even if the plate has some kind of meaning to myself.

I lost out on one last week which roughly was my first initial followed by my sirname (although using numbers for letters for part). I fully expect this to turn up on regtransfers et al. at some point for 3-4 times the auction cost.

There must be money in it otherwise it wouldn't happen, whilst it's annoying that's capitalism for you.

ninenineseven said:
DucatiRob said:

Yes quite common for people to buy up registrations via DVLA auctions to resell them for a profit.

The amount they sometimes pay surprises me as it's usually much more than i'd be prepared to pay myself even if the plate has some kind of meaning to myself.

I lost out on one last week which roughly was my first initial followed by my sirname (although using numbers for letters for part). I fully expect this to turn up on regtransfers et al. at some point for 3-4 times the auction cost.

There must be money in it otherwise it wouldn't happen, whilst it's annoying that's capitalism for you.

Completely understand that there is a market out there and if it's within the law, then not much you can do! Just annoying!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back