Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cold gear change issues

Marc D

Hi, got a 996.1 3.4 and when it's cold I have difficulty selecting 1st and 2nd. It's ok if the clutch has been in for a few seconds. When the car has warmed up after driving for about 5 minutes it's fine going into 1st but 2nd is still a little stiff to go in although once it's fully arm 2nd is fine. I've tried changing the gearbox oil to redline 75/90ns which helped a tiny bit and also new semi solid engine mounts and powerflex gearbox insert which made the shifting smoother when the car is fully warmed up through all the gears but still very stiff when cold. Anyone had similar issues and know how to improve or sort it out?
Thanks Marc

Drop 10% of the oil out. :thumbs:

Marc, Alex's answer is not a joke , its a known fix for your issue :thumb: :thumb:

Oh right ok cheers guys will drain a couple of hundred ml out tomorrow. When I filled it up I did try and get as much as I could in, clearly the wrong way to do it with these cars lol

Mercedes did a recall on their manual boxes around the same era for the same problem.

Haven't heard of this one. Any idea if it also applies to the '96 993 boxes?

Applies to any boxes. When the oil is cold it's too thick and creates problems. Less of it helps.

Cheers.

But don't they suggest that amount of oil for a reason... might running less cause additional wear?

Could be the oil?

I filled mine with triple qx oil and it was awful, worse.

Refilled with Motul and its been much much better ever since (not perfect, they are all a little difficult when cold with a few miles on them). Same spec oil.

OE Porsche oil is a fairly difficult to find mobil oil I heard, but can be bought in europe for cheaper than the OPC.

wasz said:
Could be the oil?

I filled mine with triple qx oil and it was awful, worse.

Refilled with Motul and its been much much better ever since (not perfect, they are all a little difficult when cold with a few miles on them). Same spec oil.

OE Porsche oil is a fairly difficult to find mobil oil I heard, but can be bought in europe for cheaper than the OPC.

I found the same, Motul, filled to the line and it baulks a bit when cold but fine once warmed up.

I may try taking a bit of oil out as per Alex's tip, any ideas how much?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back