Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommend me an Aluminium Trolley Jack

Depending on how low your car is, you may have to look for a 'racing' jack otherwise it wont fit under the car (unless you drive onto some 'ramps' to get the necessary clearance)

bobsan said:
the alloy jacks are all the same except higher weight lift have two pistons, and they all fall apart eventually, and the easy fix is with loctite, leaving you with a very good jack.

Could you explain further the Loctite fix please. I have a Clarke jack whose piston has blown.

Thank you.

Pip

The Loctite and the defective seal issue are not connected, some three years ago there was a batch of Clarke lo entry alloy jacks fitted with weak piston seals which would pop or leak that Clark's of course would not admit to.

Relying on staff instead trying to intimidate complaining owners to admit they used their jacks incorrectly ie leaving a vehicle on the jack for a period of time instead of placing axle stands and relaxing the jack thus voiding any warranty.

In my case that avenue of 'bullying' fail and my jack was replaced with another which I can only assume was fitted with up rated rings as it's not shy now at lifting the stated weight without failing.

As there is no recall by Clark's for all the previous weaker jacks sold I suspect there's a few out there still with the inferior piston rings and valves.

Basically these jacks are all the same, identically made in US, imported and re branded by at least eight different outlets in the UK. Though a good portion must now have correct seals as we don't hear of many failing's plus the oil reservoir structure has the ability to fit two pistons thus upping the lifting capacity, and of course the price.

And they all suffer the same problem that being their construction bolts (there are quite a few) eventually working loose. These are essentially a good jack you just need to spend twenty mins. and remove the bolts and Loctite them all back in.

on my one the piston that is "pushed" by the lever (handle) sticks down and wont return so the lever falls back down all the time. It hit my other car once and dented it... I have to hit it with a hammer to make it pop back out. The rubber pad fell off after 5 mins. It doesen't leak & stays put when under car, lucky me!

So can the seals be repaired/replaced? My seal has popped and the fluid has leaked out - Clarke 1.25t?

Pip

if the item's still under warranty from Clark's then yes, just be aware they will prob try to 'encourage' you into admitting you left the jack under a vehicle for a length of time, as soon as you admit to this it's all over and no repair.

be absolutely sure to say you always use axle stands and the jack is just a momentary lift.

mikeluke said:
I know that this is not aluminium but has anyone out there got one of these Arcan jacks from Costco?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Auto...on-Steel-Service-Jack-Model-XL2750EU/p/254971

Seems like a good deal to me - I need something to jack up my X5, so high lift needed, rather than low profile

Thanks

Can't comment on the quality of the Costco one, from experience the aluminium one in this thread is Pooh, mine packed up after 3 lifts, while trying to work out how to return it, it miraculously peeled up again, supppse the main thing is to get one from somewhere where you can return in the event of a problem (ie not mail order) :thumb:

Pip1968 said:
bobsan said:
the alloy jacks are all the same except higher weight lift have two pistons, and they all fall apart eventually, and the easy fix is with loctite, leaving you with a very good jack.

Could you explain further the Loctite fix please. I have a Clarke jack whose piston has blown.

Thank you.

Pip

I should add that I got my Clarke 1.25 ton jack repaired in the end so it is still up and running.

Pip

Got an Arcan one from Costco today - about £96 in store.

Did the job a treat - only downside is that it is bloody heavy!

mikeluke said:
Got an Arcan one from Costco today - about £96 in store.

Did the job a treat - only downside is that it is bloody heavy!

I bought one recently too after a recommendation here to replace my more basic Clarke jack. Yes it's heavy but it is very low entry and lifts very high very quickly.

I bought one from sgs and I'm very pleased with it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back