Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic question

timbo1811

Monza
I've had my 997 for 3 years now and I can't get over how fierce the throttle response is compared to my old 986 Boxster 2.7. As soon as I give it moderate beans it kicks down and pretty much red lines, I dare't use the full kick down. I haven't posted before as I wasn't sure if this was normal due to the extra power, but now I think I would like some advice.
I'm guessing its fly by wire so probably no adjustment available. What do other tiptronic users think?

Double check you haven't got a sprint booster fitted.

alex yates said:
Double check you haven't got a sprint booster fitted.

Good grief, where would one of those be?

pass

Tim if you have a sprint booster fitted the controller could be anywhere but if you look under the go faster pedal you will see if an aftermarket unit is plugged into the throttle control or if its just the stock unit. I must admit from what you describe my first thought was also a sprint booster fitted . as it made my tip far more alert and lively and kept the tip box in alert mode . :thumb: :thumb:

deMort said:
That doesnt sound normal to me .. the car will adapt to how its driven .. from what you describe its stuck in sports mode .

Had a look for a connection to my throttle pedal and can't see anything, deMort any idea how it would get stuck in sport mode, didn't know it had one!?

It can't .. it was an analogy of what you have described ..

The car will adapt to how you drive it for kickdown .. we call it granny mode and its were the car has been driven gently ..

You have to stamp on the throttle to get it to react faster then brake .. on a road test i will do this many times and the gear change becomes much faster and will often kick down 2 gears instead of one .

So if you have a minor service and suddenly think it's far better then that's probably why .. we have taught it to do that .. down side .. it will go back to how you drive it... you dont think an oil change makes it drive better do you :)

Its Most effective on Cayennes though as these often get driven in " granny " mode .

Hopefully that makes sense ..

In essence if the car is as responsive as you say then its in " sport mode " and not granny mode .. this is either due to how you drive it .. fast and full throttle pedal then off and onto the brakes .. throttle and brake way of driving basically or it's down to a software error i would guess at.

As usual though i have no way of actually saying if there is an actual fault without driving it and without a tester being put on it to look at things .. sorry .

Thanks deMort. I think I err on the Granny Mode, so maybe I need to get it checked out.

Tim - if you've not got a good local indy, drop Phil 997 (on this thread) a pm for Jamie's details. - he's a mobile tech.

jonno_ said:
Tim - if you've not got a good local indy, drop Phil 997 (on this thread) a pm for Jamie's details. - he's a mobile tech.

Hi jonno, yes I have one not too far away, I'll speak to them next time I'm nearby, thanks.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back