Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993RS steering wheel install for 996

Ducatidave

Hi,
I'm a new member of the forum and really hoping you can help me with a frustrating issue with a steering wheel installation on my 1999 996. I've purchased a gorgeous 993 RS wheel and boss kit from Carnewal and have attempted to fit it following the various and detailed guides on the internet. All went well with removing the clock spring, by-passing the air air bag warning light and wiring in the new horn contact. However on putting everything back together I find that the horn now only works with the ignition off (key in or out). Once the ignition is turned on no horn! I've been in contact with the supplier and he suggests that some 996's may not have a grounded/earthed steering column and advises I need install a new connection but no advise on how to do this.

I'm getting a bit frustrated at what was supposed to be a relatively easy installation so any advise on how to get round this problem would be really welcome. Many thanks.
Dave

993 RS steering wheel

Thanks for the reply. Had a look at the thread but I don't think it's going to help. In order to fit the Momo boss you have to remove the clock spring unit completely and rewire the horn and air bag circuits to replace it. I used the guide on Jackals site as a guide.
I'll add some pics of wheel and my 996 asap.
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• img_4501_705.jpg
    img_4501_705.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,011
  • img_4501_196.jpg
    img_4501_196.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,011
That sounds exactly like the issues I'm having! I'll message him to see if he can divulge the fix! :thumbs:
PS: not sure why I posted the picture twice, need to get the hang of forum posting. Cheers for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back