Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To BOSE, or not to BOSE... That is the question...

Drybeer

Whether it is nobler to... sod it, forget all that rubbish.

Question for the community:

I'm going to change back into a 911 in the next couple of weeks.

I'm looking at 997.1 Carrera S models with manual trans, and I've seen two that I like. Providing they both remain for sale I think my choice is between these two.

One car has BOSE but no sport chrono.
The other has regular hifi but does have sport chrono.

As a music lover what have your collective findings been ref the hifi without BOSE? I'm concerned it would be disappointing...

Thanks,

Andrew.

I normally have Spotify connected, but as I went about my business yesterday, I realised I didn't have any music running. It told me the rear speakers connected to the engine were sufficient.
I don't have Bose, and I've not heard a 997 with it, so ignorance is bliss, but I did get in a new Macan the other week and was shocked as to how good the sound system is.
If you are obsessed with the sound quality you'd rip out the whole system and start again, otherwise it's the 6 pot sound system.

IMO the Bose in the 997 is okay, but only okay. If it was me, I'd go for the car with Sports Chrono, live with the regular HiFi for a bit, then decide on whether to upgrade and if you do, you will most likely end up with a better sound than the Bose setup is capable of.

I had Bose on my 997.2. Sounded ok ish, but compared to the Burmester for example on the Merc there is really no comparison.

Each to there own but it wouldn't sway my buying decision, if you want something decent you probably need to seriously upgrade it.
:thumb:

I had a non-Bose 987.1 and now have a Bose 997.1

For me, I do notice a difference between the two and would always lean to a car with Bose.

However as others have said, it all depends on the car as the head unit and speakers can always be upgraded.

I agree with sponge bob square pants about the Burmester system on the Mercs -- we have it on the GLC and it is very good

Hi,
Nice choice to make. I had a gen11 997 with standard music system and that sounded only avereage but now I have a 997 gen1 that has Bose and the sound is seriously better.
Regards,
Jonny

I'd go for PSE and hardbacks over both Bose and sport chrono, on a manual

Thanks for suggestions.

Like Spongebob and M&MD&D, I've got Burmester high end in my present Cayenne turbo, and it's probably the best factory fit car hifi I've owned. That one item alone is actually hard to justify selling the Cayenne for...

The SportChrono car is winning at the mo but I do fear I'll miss the quality of sound.

Go for the car with chrono. I have had Bose and non Bose the PCM is so dated that you will want to upgrade the double din anyway . in my non Bose I fitted an alpine head unit and a rainbow beats amp but left the speakers stock as they are quite good anyway and the sound was far better than my current Bose fitted car . Bose is not worth raving about and a £1000 would give you far superior sound from a non Bose car . if your a real audiophile then upgrade the speakers as well . :thumb:

Go BOSE without Chrono. The difference is huge, bass is lot better. Regretted not getting a BOSE 997.2.
Sport Chrono - what i once did was ask Porsche to fit the Sport/Sport+ mode with the extra buttons and got all the fun stuff of the Chrono pack - except the clock which is no use what so ever , unless you track it, but even then you won't clicking the lever on/off .

You can't aftermarket a BOSE into a non BOSE, its too much work. You can Sport/Sport+ buttons in a BOSE car.

One thing that surprises me about the 997 is the amount of tyre road noise in the cabin. My car has Bose, but frankly any HiFi would do against the background noise. Choice is the sound of motion (with the tyre and engine symphony) or stereo up very load, but how can that be a hifidelity sound worth paying huge sums for? But hey, each to their own.

Definitely go with chrono!! If you like your music much easier to change a non Bose system!

It's easier to upgrade the stereo on a non-Bose car so I'd actually get that one, especially if the rest of the spec is better. PCM 2.1 is garbage, so anything that makes the upgrade easier is a bonus.

You need to look carefully at the spec lists for both as it seems strange that someone would be willing to throw money at sports Chrono but not Bose. Usually that seems to be the first option ticked.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back