Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tip vs Manual comparisons at 'having fun' speeds

What a well balanced thread of the pros a and cons of Tip and manual , I have a tip C4S and have developed a technique of blipping the throttle when approaching a bend or a roundabout to to fool the box into thinking I wish to kick down and hey presto she drops a gear just by my blip of the pedal ,! Only needs a quick stab and she drops a gear . Try it in a road your u are familiar with but don't be gentle when you try it at first it's takes some getting used to but the rewards are worth practise

...good tip,I will try this next time I'm out in it...

Have a go , i find it works better going from 5th to 4th and 4th to 3rd , but brake a tad first then give the throttle a big stab ..... But like the old heel toe technique
Let's hear how you get on

For my 911 I'd only have a manual, for my "sensible estate car" I only wanted an auto. I believe I ended up with (although I'm a little confused on this point) the tiptronic auto that Porsche used in the 996 as the gearbox in my C55.

It's got the paddles, but I find that nudging the shifter left and right is more satisfying- very similar to a clutchless manual then, albeit a very slow one.

For me the heal and toe downshift is a critical part of driving a sports car - each drive should be a challenge, should be something you strive to get better at.

But by the same token if I'm wading through the turgid mire of London traffic I'm buggered if I want to be using a clutch every 10 seconds.

What I think I'm saying is that everyone needs at least two cars, probably four.

On my drive I have everything:

A flat 6 manual

A turbo DSG

A supercharged manual

A EV

When you have a bike the perfect number you own is +1. The same applies to cars.

I love my DSG for everyday. However, if you have a glorious flat 6 behind you then you need a manual. Esp when it is old. Hence why auto 911s are worth a pickled egg, a washer and some lint and manuals are prized.

New clutch, short shifter and some empty road and you win,

...I have a feeling that in the not too distant future potential 911 buyers used to autos and flappy paddles will be as interested in autos as manuals...which will be a step change from the historical norm...

Just a hunch but based on the fact that most new sports cars are autos albeit with sophisticated boxes...

This thread has officially cost me money - Today I bought a set of C63 paddles in prep for making the conversion! :D

GMG said:
...I have a feeling that in the not too distant future potential 911 buyers used to autos and flappy paddles will be as interested in autos as manuals...which will be a step change from the historical norm...

Just a hunch but based on the fact that most new sports cars are autos albeit with sophisticated boxes...

Its a curious thing... I went to a talk by the Jag F Type project leader, who said that enthusiasts and press had clamoured for manual variants, so they built one. However as a percentage of new sales they are low single digits. What enthusiasts want and what actual buyers want are clearly different things.

Presumably as hybrid powertrains etc become the norm the manual box will be consigned to history.

Robertb said:
GMG said:

Its a curious thing... I went to a talk by the Jag F Type project leader, who said that enthusiasts and press had clamoured for manual variants, so they built one. However as a percentage of new sales they are low single digits. What enthusiasts want and what actual buyers want are clearly different things.

Presumably as hybrid powertrains etc become the norm the manual box will be consigned to history.

I test drove an F-Type when they first came out and if they'd had a manual option I may well have got one. Instead I went for a second hand V8 Vantage.

Manual gearboxes are pretty much already history. Good job old cars are better anyway!

GMG said:

Interesting hunch. I've put a deposit down on a manual but have spotted a better buy in the classifieds here. Only issue is that it's a tip.

I've never driven a tip but my last few cars have been DSG and I've driven a few PDK 911s all of which I've liked. I'm just not sold on an old style torque converter and unfortunately I can't find a tip for sale locally to try.

...manual gearboxes are destined to be obsolete; in fact most sports cars including Porsche have moved away from them in favour of autos...

I would not have a manual when the Tip offers you a choice of both auto and manual gear changes...

This weekend I fitted the AMG paddles to a manual steering wheel ; transforming the car into a much more attractive proposition on resale and enhancing the driving experience...

Why have cotton when you can have silk :D

I've got electronically selected and actuated, fully sequential shifting on my race bikes, it makes sense. The bike I'm riding this weekend is mechanical- good old cables.

I'm just beating it around the lanes, and a more tactile shift that you can get wrong I think adds to the experience.

The tip buttons are so much better than the paddle types. You can change up and down with either hand and its so much more intuitive, you always have the same motion for up and down. Paddles are daft, you have to always use two hands and remember which side which is far less easy muscle memory. I had some normal paddles on my other car and just hate them. I think people think paddles = f1 car so are deluded into thinking sporty. Porsche were ahead of them game with the tip switches before they gave in to fashion.

...not sure that car manufacturers or the buying public agree with your assertion...if they did buttons would be the norm...

I've got the paddles on my C55, never use them- instead I use the gear lever, which you nudge left for down and right for up. Much more what I'm used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back