Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Health Check @ Cridfords = a massive bill!

Jay. said:
On my last major service they noted the front bump stops needed replacing and that the front top mounts were "starting to go" - I had a check myself and whilst they look a little worn they're certainly not bad.. What's the issue with the top mounts going? .. I guess the rubber splits and then it hits the metal?

Top strut mount has a large rubber bush in it , it will start to debond over time .. seperate from the metal basically .. we have limited vision of this but can see on a lock to lock turn when its starting to seperate ..

Normal is just an advise .. front shock top mounts starting to debond .

The bump stops .. is a kinda dense foam item .. it does get the worse of the elements thrown at it and starts to fall appart as it gets a bit old .. not really due to damage i feel .. i think its more age related .. but thats just my thoughts .

Im afraid you have to bear in mind .. i inspect a car and report what i see .. its normally an amber .. in other words im letting you know but its not something i consider worth doing atm .. if i do it will either be a red item or i will make a note saying to do it soon and the reason .

Ie .. exhaust flange studs heavily corroded .. that would be an amber as they are not leaking atm .. my advise would be .. you have 3 monthes to get it done as thats what i think .

So some ambers are a " get it done now " .. most are a .. lets see next service .... 2 years away .

OPC and i refer back to link above .. the service advisors there SELL amber items reguardless .. always see the mechanics comments .

replace " I " with any garage as this is basically what i assume we all do .

Guys,

I'm always wary of on-line 'cheap' tyre wholesalers as I've been caught out with tyres that have been manufactured a couple of years or more before I set my eyes on them. Is this others experience?

Ouch £4K service! Hope you don't have any more big bills for a while.

Just had my bi annual interim service, plus new belts, air con regass top up and ten year inspection. Good to look at car on the ramp with Porsche technician and discuss what's going on underneath.
Bit of superficial surface corrosion starting on shocks but otherwise ok. £740.00 bill OPC Exeter, paid it quick and ran away feeling very happy. Nice toys in the showroom too inc GT3RS and 997.2 Turbo. ££££££!!!!

Obviously I think if your car is a bit of a garage queen you can get away with almost normal car running costs but once age, track days and highish mileage comes into play then it's going to cost as stuff wears out.

trent said:
Guys,

I'm always wary of on-line 'cheap' tyre wholesalers as I've been caught out with tyres that have been manufactured a couple of years or more before I set my eyes on them. Is this others experience?

No, quite the opposite. I've only had old tyres from a bricks and mortar local place. Online cheap places were fresh.

resigner said:
PS4S. Note the S. PS4 are a different tyre.

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

Why do you need a N rated tyre with a Porsche warranty? If you blow the engine will they refuse cover because they don't like your tyres? Read the policy.

rigsby99 said:
resigner said:
PS4S. Note the S. PS4 are a different tyre.

PS4S are the best, by a distance. If you have an OPC warranty, you need N rated. If you don't, you don't.

Why do you need a N rated tyre with a Porsche warranty? If you blow the engine will they refuse cover because they don't like your tyres? Read the policy.

I can imagine a car would fail the OPC inspection without N rated tyres, so you couldn't get a warranty in the first place.

rigsby99 said:

Having non- N rated tyres won't invalidate an existing warranty (unless the claim was caused by them) but you won't be able to renew it.

Magic919 said:
trent said:

No, quite the opposite. I've only had old tyres from a bricks and mortar local place. Online cheap places were fresh.

Which on-line have you used?

My most recent was mytyres.co.uk . The tyres came in three deliveries from Europe, straight to the wheel refurb place. Have used BlackCircles too for non-Porsche.

deMort - thanks for the 'honest review' and input!

I agree its a 10yr car so those bits are going to show signs of corrosion, but he did say there is a little play in them and top mounts are not the best so don't slam into a pothole or go for a smokey & the bandit jump! Its classed as an yellow warning so its something that needs to be done. Reading about CG its a no-brainer to visit them, will plan for some new boots and then get them to give it a once over and align it up - see what needs to be replaces or upgraded! I've never been overly happy with the stance and want it to ride a little lower now wishing I got involved in the group buy for some springs..... :frustrated:

Re. the tyres PS4 is the way to go - thanks all for the input, it doesn't hold an OPC warranty so I'm not worried about that.

911rpd said:
deMort - thanks for the 'honest review' and input!

I agree its a 10yr car so those bits are going to show signs of corrosion, but he did say there is a little play in them and top mounts are not the best so don't slam into a pothole or go for a smokey & the bandit jump! Its classed as an yellow warning so its something that needs to be done. Reading about CG its a no-brainer to visit them, will plan for some new boots and then get them to give it a once over and align it up - see what needs to be replaces or upgraded! I've never been overly happy with the stance and want it to ride a little lower now wishing I got involved in the group buy for some springs..... :frustrated:

Re. the tyres PS4 is the way to go - thanks all for the input, it doesn't hold an OPC warranty so I'm not worried about that.
Get CG to adjust the stance. From memory his supply and fit package is cheaper than fit and you supply combined

Hi

I run M PS4S on my .2 C4S and I like them a lot. I would speak with Chris and the team at Center Gravity before you do anything. I was blown away at a recent open day with the Peterborough Tipec group with their knowledge and expertise and also their attention to detail when it comes to car suspension and set up. Different ride heights and equipment will effect your options in terms of set ups but CG will advise and ensure you achieve exactly what you want. I am off there at the beginning of April (you will need to book well in advance) and I can't wait. I have only ever heard praise for CG so clearly money well spent ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back