Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

:yeah:

pzero said:
infrasilver said:
pzero said:
Chris just pondering, were you a technical advisor, in a former, life to the A Team?

:floor:

Still the same life, you should see the Chieftain tank I made out of old bottle tops.

:thumb: joking aside mate, what you're sharing to a wide audience must be inspiring to a great many. :worship:

Just shows what can be done with a bit of thought and obviously a welder. :D

Everything is back together and even the frozen rear wheel bearing went in easily, I had rigged a tool (of sorts) to press the bearing back into place but when I was putting it in position I gave it a couple of little taps to line it up ready for pressing and because it was frozen I just kept tapping and it went in easy so I did away with the tool and used the hammer all the way until it seated. There is no more sideways movement with the wheel fitted and hopefully the knocking on hard right handers has gone away?

I also fitted the new drop links and coolant hoses and have bled the system again with new coolant, (it only had tap water in it for Oulton). I'm on the scout for an upcoming track day, preferably a dry one.

A pic of the drop link fitted.
EqPYkKq.jpg

Well done that man :thumb:

If you find a decent trackday, I`ll come and join you matey :thumbs:

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

I have done a little bit more tinkering with the '44. Since I have had it the fuel gauge has always been incorrect, it would show when full and down to 3/4 of a tank but never budged lover than this, the reserve light would still come on when I was low on fuel but to make sure I didn't run out I would fill up and set the trip meter to Zero knowing that 300 miles would get me about until I need to fill up again.

The fuel gauge never went lower than this

SMl5Xl6.jpg

I had previously swapped the fuel tank sender out for a known good one, I also cleaned up the earth points and back of the clock binnacle circuit board as both are supposed to be cures but neither worked. I have had my eye on dash pods but they are always silly money but a month or so ago I found one that was reasonably cheap from an S2.

So the other day I stripped the back off them both and attempted to swap over just the fuel gauge so I could keep the correct mileage, it was actually a very simple job to do and now I have a perfectly correct fuel gauge.

Just undo all the screws around the outside and then the two nuts on the oval plastic parts to release the gauge.

0NRAXBt.jpg

KDyY2Fl.jpg

I've got the 996 in the garage for a new water pump and a few other little jobs so I have been taking the S out a lot more and you do forget how much fun it is and it still make me LOL when driving.

Jealous of you driving around in your 944 :sad:

Hoping to get mine on the road for the summer!

I had my instrument panel out a few years back as we did a group buy on the tipec forum for the LED light kit from the US. That was before there was a huge availability of aftermarket LEDs and components for the modding scene.

A mini update as I managed to tick an item off the bucket list which was to take the 944 out on a few laps around the Nurburgring.

I was hanging around with a few guys from the DN that was happening on Monday/Tuesday but got out on the TF laps on Monday evening.

Car ran quite well but did feel a little restricted at the top end around 5500 revs, I found my air filter was collapsing slightly at the throttle opening which may have restricted air flow, I haven't had chance to check this out since I got home but I'm hoping this is the case? I will run a perforated sleeve inside the filter to stop this happening again.

I spend most of the day at the main viewing areas so took a couple of snaps on my way around.

sI9RmSD.jpg

o2yZ4Pq.jpg

And when leaving the italian restaurant I had to take another snap.

tkMsYMc.jpg

It was after I had done some TF laps and after getting back to the hotel I found 24 pictures already uploaded of the car from various locations.

I chose two of may favorites and really like the one where its lifting both N/S wheels off the ground.

YKpWHjk.jpg

Since I saw this picture I have bought a set of 968 ARBs to eliminate roll without compromising the ride quality.

And obviously the standard picture at Karussell.

IzIhORv.jpg

I have done the two above pictures to death on social media :oops:

I was quite happy with a 10:30 lap considering I once did a few laps in just under 10 minutes in my 344bhp Audi S4. The 944 definitely has more in it and if I can get it running better and with less roll, I feel an under 10 minute lap achievable.

Very cool photos mate, car is looking great :thumbs:

Awesome pictures :mrgreen:

Love the cornering picture with the wheels slightly off the ground! - car is looking great :thumbs:

I've got to the bottom of why it felt so restricted, my cold air induction pipe was trying to eat the filter element.

Hu3kHrP.jpg

I removed it and found the restriction, Pacman (© PeterS ) was hiding inside.
No dirty minds please :grin:

76tTRsD.jpg

So its now cured with a chicken wire skeleton to stop this happening again..

pgaTG3j.jpg

I think on the drive over, the last Autobahn section I was doing around 125mph for quite a while, although it didn't seem restricted at the time it was as soon as I got on the Ring the day after it felt sluggish and i hadn't driven it in anger since the drive over. I suppose all that air it was consuming on the Autobahn must have started to pull the filter in?

As soon as my ARB's arrive and are fitted I'll be seeking a return.

Is the engine all sorted now Chris?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back