Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who's got a golden rod, or RS linkage, or both?

They were not in stock when I looked there a couple of weeks ago. Probably works out almost the same cost after customs add their bit.

We need a UK / US trade deal while the phenomenal President Trump is in office. I could order a complete Fabspeed exhaust system then with headers and X-pipe sports cats. :D

Only meant it as a bit of fun. I do like him though and enjoying being an observer. :grin:

If any of those proposed tariffs did make it through, I'd suspect they would be different to anything in a UK/US deal. They'll be trying to sell us more of those Chevrolet things. If they were cheap enough I'd have one of those Jeep Wrangler Extreme things. Even with the Queer (as Folk) image.

Golden rod I'd fitted. Just collected it. Old one had a lot of play in it. Does feel different. Reverse seems a bit further away. Feels more 'mechanical'. Need to give it a proper run on Sunday down to that Caffine and Machines place and get a decent opinion on it :thumb:

so how do you rate it? Worth the hassle?

When I picked the car up my initial feeling was it wasn't worth the hassle, but that has changed after driving it a little (G-rod only).

Inspecting the old part shows a lot of play in the joint/rubber.

It does feel more direct, less spongey. Before the gearbox oil warms up you need to be more precise, especially with 1st and reverse. On the move I like it a lot. You can tell there is a positive difference.

Last night I ordered the SSK from FD Motorsports. My suspicion is you need both parts to get the best from either. That said, I wouldn't have spent $375+ customs duty on something I had no faith in. If the SSK adds the same amount of difference the G-rod has by shortening the throw and removing slop I'll be delighted.

A big motivation for the SSK for me was the warning on the description of the original cup and ball wearing over time and eventually failing - leaving the car stranded. If that happened to me in the middle of a Texas wilderness I'd be a little annoyed with myself. That said, I don't recall reading on here anyone stranded with a failed ball cupping? Perhaps Zingari or one of the Illuminati has some information on this delicate matter?

Had the car almost three years now and think I've now spent more on it than I originally paid for it. Luckily everything I do to it just makes me like it more and more.

:grin:

Just checked back thorugh my emails and I paid the Princely [Kingly..?] sum of £541.63 all up, after VAT and Postage etc.

I got mine from Type911.. Installed back in July, 2017.. https://kingroon.blog/2017/07/10/stance/

I have to say, that the greatest improvement to Shifting came when more recently I installed RS Engine Mounts.. The gear shift became so precise and so positive, I can honestly say it is more transformative than the GR and the SSK combined..

tyinsky said:
Had the car almost three years now and think I've now spent more on it than I originally paid for it. Luckily everything I do to it just makes me like it more and more.

Reached parity on mine at the end of last year [according to my Spreadsheet..!], and I doubt the spending will stop there.. But that's the Price of Love..!

Attachments

• 2019_03_20_09_31_51_mail_outlook_147.jpg
    2019_03_20_09_31_51_mail_outlook_147.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,415
Parts arrived today... now have to wait a whole week for them to be fitted...

:weed:

Just had this job done at 9m last week.
Originally booked in after price agreed to fit SSK + solid rod.
On collection day, Colin said they fitted the original RS rod instead as the FD part was not a perfect fit and required surrounding areas to be cut or modified. Even after that work, he said there was a possibility of some part grounding when going over sleepers. An unexpected price increase, but glad I had their expertise to avoid the costly repercussions of fitting the cheaper part.

The throw is noticeably shorter.
But at £572.12 +vat, hard pressed to tell if the RS rod has reduced much slop. Maybe I need the RS engine mounts to realise its full benefit.

My SSK arrived from FD today. Fitting Friday :rocker:

Ehcsrop, is your car a 4wd? I read that they needed some bashing to make fit. I think there is a revised version now that goes straight in. Could be wrong as I don't have a 4wd but think I saw something on the FD website about it.

ehcsrop said:
Maybe I need the RS engine mounts to realise its full benefit.
If you're down Brighton way ever, be happy to let you drive my 993 [I know a private road etc. :cop: ] and feel the difference for yourself.. 8)

tyinsky said:
Ehcsrop, is your car a 4wd? I read that they needed some bashing to make fit. I think there is a revised version now that goes straight in. Could be wrong as I don't have a 4wd but think I saw something on the FD website about it.

2WD.

And thanks for the offer kingroon.

ehcsrop said:
Just had this job done at 9m last week.
Originally booked in after price agreed to fit SSK + solid rod.
On collection day, Colin said they fitted the original RS rod instead as the FD part was not a perfect fit and required surrounding areas to be cut or modified. Even after that work, he said there was a possibility of some part grounding when going over sleepers. An unexpected price increase, but glad I had their expertise to avoid the costly repercussions of fitting the cheaper part.

The throw is noticeably shorter.
But at £572.12 +vat, hard pressed to tell if the RS rod has reduced much slop. Maybe I need the RS engine mounts to realise its full benefit.

how old are your mounts?, if you have a c4 they should already be stiffer than C2 but depends how old and how many miles, gearbox mount will make a difference too.

Trev

Just picked mine up after install of GR & SSK both from FDM.

That's how it's supposed to feel! I'd say the GR is a better upgrade than the SSK, but I like both. Would def recommend doing GR. Love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back