Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sport seats recliner issue

Nduli

All

I bought a set of sports seats from ebay. installed yesterday and sods law the recliner doesn't work on the driver side. Its just about ok but could do with recliner working to make the seat workable for me.

The original seats in the car were comfort seats (ie 8 way?)

questions:

1) can you swop the recliner motor from a comfort seat to a sport seat?
2) is it relatively easy to take the motor out from the comfort and put it in the sport seat? i've seen some guides to disassemble the seats but can't see anything that shows the motor replacement.
3) any ideas whether this is a common issue, is it likely to be the switch or the motor?

frustrated is an understatement......

Rich

Im afraid there is a limited amount of advise i can give here ..

you need to test the motor to see if its dead or not so i think i have the correct diagram below ..

i would disconnect the harness and with something like a power probe power the seat motor direct to see if it works or not .

Things like motors tend to be buryed in the seats .. i have no instructions on replaceing them im afraid but like all things .. remove a bit at a time and take pictures .

You may after all only have a problem with the switch as per the diagram .

Attachments

• seat_1_126.jpg
    seat_1_126.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,165
Relatively rare the motor fails, more likely the wiring breaking or the switch, are you sure the plug is seated OK, I've swopped seats several times then cursed and swore as forgot to connect or disconnect plug

Stupid thing i didnt think of last night .. check the fuse E4 ..

There is only a feed an an earth going to the switch so its pretty simple to check .. feed earth coming in and going out after the switch (12 volys on a meter ) .. if you have that then its the motor .. but to be honest .. its a new one on me .. as seat motors almost never fail .

deMort said:
Stupid thing i didnt think of last night .. check the fuse E4 ..

There is only a feed an an earth going to the switch so its pretty simple to check .. feed earth coming in and going out after the switch (12 volys on a meter ) .. if you have that then its the motor .. but to be honest .. its a new one on me .. as seat motors almost never fail .

thanks deMort. i was struggling with time earlier in the week due to work pressures so didn't have time to start disassembling and testing, i did compare plugs and sockets on old seats and pics of the new seats plugs and sockets and noticed a difference and determined (guessed) that there wasn't power going to the seat. clear difference in the pins inside the socket on the comfort seat and the sports seats.

dropped off at hartech Thursday am as i have a driver instruction day at blyton park on Monday and needed a fix. confirmed that my intelligent insight *cough* was right no power so they've wired in a 12v pin and apparently now working......

bad news, a plume of white smoke under hard acceleration on the way to hartech though. hoping its aos and hoping they can squeeze in the fix today for me. they can't reproduce and was subject to a gold service including boroscope 6 weeks ago so hoping aos rather than rebuild. :)

asterix_the_gaul said:
Relatively rare the motor fails, more likely the wiring breaking or the switch, are you sure the plug is seated OK, I've swopped seats several times then cursed and swore as forgot to connect or disconnect plug

yep had heard it was rare and the fact that i couldn't find an article on any forum, US or UK, 996 or 986 on how to replace the recliner motor suggested it would be more likely the switch or a power issue......which it was. thanks for responding :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back