Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wiring diagram for alarm on early 996 for wake up signal??

Car is re-built.

As a temp fix I'm going to add an alarm horn cut out switch in a secret but accessible place. At least this way I can wake it up quietly until I work out the issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Please figure this out! - my car does the exact same thing (1998) - being in the garage with one our cars when the alarm goes off just to spite you is not fun......... : '

Door lock is the most obvious fault for this although it seems not this one ..

It can be checked pretty easily though with a garage putting a tester on it and looking at the alarm actual values ..

I would think at my garage you would be looking at 0.5 hrs labour for this .

tester can also see what has caused the last 10 alarm triggers and the last 10 faults when the car was locked , which again would be in the cost above to check .

mine does the same, according to rennlist in the past, its because the doors are wired wrongly on some 99 cars on the lhd to rhd conversion

so when you use the key to unlock the drivers door it thinks you trying to open the passenger door so sets off the alarm,

on my car I dont have a passenger door lock , so I cant use that either.

so you need to check the wiring from the doors is correct on the input to the alarm.

One day I will get around to swapping mine.

double post

Hmmmmm. RHD/LHD ***** up.

Sounds possible.

1998 3.4 996 Carrera door wiring LHD to RHD

Does anyone have the detail on this;

"according to rennlist in the past, its because the doors are wired wrongly on some early cars on the lhd to rhd conversion.

so when you use the key to unlock the drivers door it thinks you trying to open the passenger door so sets off the alarm,

on my car I dont have a passenger door lock , so I cant use that either.

so you need to check the wiring from the doors is correct on the input to the alarm."

which wires do I need to check and swap if incorrectly wired.

Many thanks in advance, desperate to stop my alarm going off, everytime I open the car.

Wether you open the drivers door or passengers it should make no difference .. from the key you should have 10 seconds to put the key in the ignition before it triggers it .

Basically ive never herd of what you have mentioned .

i take it your key fob doesnt work .. get a new one ?

if not .. get a tester on the car ( indy ) there is a section that can tell you what is triggering the alarm .. events and activations .. it will say to the last 10 tiggers what has tripped the alarm and what faults the car was locked with .

You can also see the values of all the alarm components so its pretty easy to figure out whats wrong .

I know .. i do it often .

If I lock my 996.1 with the key, turning it anti-clockwise to lock, then unlock by turning the key clockwise, I have 10 seconds to put the key in the ignition to stop the alarm going off.
If I inadvertantly unlock the car by turning the key anti-clockwise, then immediately clockwise to unlock the car, the alarm goes off as soon as I open the door :grin:

Now thats interesting .. technically it should make no difference .. some sort of software map that triggers it i guess .. an alarm feature ..

Either way ive learnt something new :thumb:

Rule of thumb though .. these cars are designed to work off of a fob for lock / unlock .. the key is more of an emergency operation untill you get the fob sorted.

If your not going to fix the fob then you will have issues .

My fob works intermittently deMort, I keep attacking it with a soldering iron, but then it packs up again after a few weeks :sad:

kurlykris said:
If I lock my 996.1 with the key, turning it anti-clockwise to lock, then unlock by turning the key clockwise, I have 10 seconds to put the key in the ignition to stop the alarm going off.
If I inadvertantly unlock the car by turning the key anti-clockwise, then immediately clockwise to unlock the car, the alarm goes off as soon as I open the door :grin:

Mine was like this but I couldn't open the car at all without alarm sounding.
So one way would set alarm off instantly.
The other way wouldn't set alarm off unless I opened door. So I could turn key to wake the system up then press key button for business as usual.

Whether that was a fault or a different setup I don't know.

I suspect there are two different alarm units with different programming as I had different behaviour between my 98 996 and 99 986:

'98 986:

If the car has stood for more than five days, to activate the fob/get in the car you have to use the key in the drivers door to UNLOCK, then open the door and you have ten seconds to turn the key in the ignition before the alarm starts blaring. If you turn they key in the drivers door to LOCK then, UNLOCK, the alarm will start sounding as soon as you pull the door handle.

'99 986:

If the car had stood for more than five days, to activate the fob/get in the car, you had to turn the key in the drivers door to LOCK, then could press the fob button to unlock the car (fully, as though it hadn't been standing for five days). If you turned the key to UNLOCK as though to open the door, the alarm would start sounding.

When I first got my 996, I used to forget and play merry hell with alarm soundings :-D

kurlykris said:
My fob works intermittently deMort, I keep attacking it with a soldering iron, but then it packs up again after a few weeks :sad:

My post wasnt aimed at you but rcook young man :)

Ive tryed soldering them too .. my eyes are just not good enough these days let alone steady enough hands to solder something that small !!

Basic way i think of it .. its designed to work with a fob .. if your not going to get the fob working but then complain about issues with the " emergency operation " then i cant help .. get the fob working is all i can suggest or put up with the alarm triggers .

Hi my 1998 986 has this behaviour on the key, no 10src delay.

I've pored over the wiring diagrams I cannot see anything wired incorrectly. Or wrong for LHD Vs RHD.

I can only think this is the correct behaviour for an early car.

When you turn the key in the lock to unlock, the only switch that is activated is the unlock switch. This is the same wire for LHD and RHD cars.

The control unit reads this and then sends the signal to the door motors to unlock which they do.

On early cars it seems it also sounds the alarm

On later cars you get 10 seconds.

My conclusion is that later cars must have different software in the control unit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back