Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GT3 Bought. A few thoughts:

Senoj said:
I think the stickers needs to go personally, lovely colour a bit spoiled perhaps by those :?:

I'm going to be boring and say no stickers also.

Polar silver sorry I mean rhodium silver is such a cool colour, I don't think the car needs shouty stickers. :)

Welcome to the club.

They are great cars and was down at Hever Castle yesterday with around 3 other GT3s, GT3RS, GT4, 918, 600LT and Senna plus numerous Ferraris and Lambos. Out of all the cars there I would still go for mine or the 918.... (most had buckets, which I cannot fit in being too tall).

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I think on balance the Porsche sticker on the front will go and be replaced with a plain black stripe to match the roof. The black ends on the spoiler will stay but the P O R S C H E on the top of the spoiler will go.

I will PPF the front end shortly plus A pillars, mirrors, sills and rear wheel arches.

God must be smiling today because for once it's been dry! Took it to town (Perth) for a meeting and I haven't had so much fun while keeping my trousers on for a long long time. hitting 9000rpm in 2nd gear then 3rd gear is outstanding. Without being silly the cornering is spectacular especially as I am used to more analogue Porsches, overtaking is a sheer joy.

We are sometimes underwhelmed when we get a new toy, often the fantasy is better than reality- this car throws that theory down the pan with a hearty flush!

Looks great! I was thinking of selling up and buying one myself, but the engine, overs and chassis issues have put me right off. Looks superb though. Can't knock anyone for taking the plunge.

Sim996,

I looked at all the possible issues. The engine in my car was replaced in 2015 and is covered by a warranty that exceeds any other manufacturer.

I was incandescent about the flipping of these cars and as you say the 'overs' so I waited until the price dropped to a sensible level. I paid £107k with 19k miles for mine which I think is fair.

Chassis issues I haven't come across :eek: Could you enlighten me please?

It all boils down to my points at the start of this thread; the alternatives are a McLaren or a 458 or similar. Are they better warrantied? More reliable? more depreciation proof? More fun even? Horses for courses.

Good luck!

Good on you for going for it, i imagine its amazing to drive & so so fast, I too would lose those stripes but love the car & colour. :thumb:

Nice one, car looks great!

Yours is a million miles from where my GT3 is tech wise and drive-wise, but I'm sure the dna that runs through both our cars is equally exhilarating. I'd probably go without the stripes, but I can't say too much about that... have had a few different looks with my car in the past. All part of the fun of ownership :grin:

All the best with the car, enjoy :thumb:

I agree with Jake.

I was fortunate enough to be ale to consider the 991.2 GT3 and even a GT3RS and yet I decided on the 991.1.as I refuse to pay a premium and I like fast road driving (for me the RS is just too hardcore for the road). For me the PDK is brilliant and I needed front lift and comfort seats (6'5 and broad, buckets do not work). Thus far the cost of servicing is less than my previous tuned RS6....

I also liked the ten year engine warranty and my car has PPF and the aftermarket exhaust, reverse camera, PCCB and the DSC suspension upgrade (helps mitigate dive/squat and gives a more compliant ride). I am toying with changing from white to a Gulf livery...

So, great choice and enjoy.

Thanks Aikidoka

Its nice to know I am not alone! I would love an after market exhaust, the current one is very asthmatic at idle/low revs. I put a Carnwall on the Cayman and that really howls but is quite intrusive on a long run.

Is the warranty not invalidated by changing the exhaust?

Anyway, I'm in this for the long haul so plenty of time for tweaks, I'm just going to get used to it and enjoy Scotlands roads!

As I understand it the Porsche engine warranty is 10 years or 120k miles and an after market exhaust does not invalidate it. If you actually 'tweak" the actual engine, I am sure that would be a different story.

I might be up in Scotland at the end of October for a road trip, you are very lucky those roads are superb (the western section of the NC500 is my favourite).

Jake1906 said:
Sim996,

I looked at all the possible issues. The engine in my car was replaced in 2015 and is covered by a warranty that exceeds any other manufacturer.

I was incandescent about the flipping of these cars and as you say the 'overs' so I waited until the price dropped to a sensible level. I paid £107k with 19k miles for mine which I think is fair.

Chassis issues I haven't come across :eek: Could you enlighten me please?

It all boils down to my points at the start of this thread; the alternatives are a McLaren or a 458 or similar. Are they better warrantied? More reliable? more depreciation proof? More fun even? Horses for courses.

Good luck!

Happening more and more now and not warranted.

https://youtu.be/Nl488M3e2hE

See the GT4 shocker thread. Sharkwerks Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuZu16El4GL/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ra7l4br73bzy

Just Google, loads of examples showing up on stock road cars. This will go the same way as the E46 subframe issues.

Thanks Sim996.

Sadly, I Googled "991 GT3 suspension problems" and came up with zip. I looked at 10 pages.

Perhaps I am trying to defend my position having just bought one, but are we not engaging in micro analysing everything on these forums?

High performance sports cars are and always will be a treat, a luxury. Something to be enjoyed and cherished but they are EXPENSIVE toys both to buy and maintain. They are also fallible, despite the best efforts of the manufacturers.

I live with the knowledge that my cars will have problems that will cost and I accept that. I have to trust that if I have a serious failure Porsche AG will meet its obligations, without that trust I would buy a Dacia Sendero and spend the money elsewhere.

I have now done nearly a 1000 miles in my car so probably wiped off 50% of its value, but I'm loved up so who give a s..t!

Well done on the new purchase. As much as the RS is the icon the 991/2 versions tthey just look too boy racer with those vents so I think you made the right choice apart from buying an auto that is :wink: . I suppose as it is the comfort specification you have a strong argument for a non manual variety though :tongue:

I would keep the stickers.

Enjoy the drive and rack up the miles and bring an end to the Porsche garage queen.

Pip :thumb:

congrats on the car;

on the subject of the turret failure - how can this not be warranted ?

(assuming extended OPC warranty)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back