Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sub £10k cars

wasz said:
arry said:
no doubt some aficionado would write my car off as not worth bothering with.

Not to worry, those people don't ever buy cars anyway, they either have one they paid over the odds for already and maintain with open chequebook or will never actually own one as spending money too risky for them.

They just sit on the internet browsing adverts and posting on the forums discounting any car posted as too cheap or scaremongering others.

You definitely do see a lot of posts here from people who have been searching for months or years for "the one". Or worse yet, folk who are admitting defeat and settling for a different car. Certainly more so than any other marque specific forum I've ever been on.

There's a certain type of owner who seems to take pride in stating "it took me 12 months and £5000 in PPIs to find the right one" and then those guys still spend several thousand putting things right.

I hardly spent any time looking before I purchased. I'm sure many would say it's a rotter. However, I was brought up in the faith by a father whose nails were always dirty and whose clothes had a faint petrol odour to believe that "Everything is fixable in some way".

arry said:
Buying one with a load of stuff done doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a load of stuff need doing in a couple of year's time which either hasn't been done, or needs doing again anyway.

100% this.

Not unusual to see ads stating "£20k worth of bills over the last 20 years".

I took the view that consumable parts more than X miles or X years ago were pretty much irrelevant. Engine rebuild is a different matter but a car is a collection of parts, most of which wear and need replaced often multiple times over it's life.

[/quote]
I hardly spent any time looking before I purchased. I'm sure many would say it's a rotter. However, I was brought up in the faith by a father whose nails were always dirty and whose clothes had a faint petrol odour to believe that "Everything is fixable in some way".[/quote]

Same here, I bought the second one I looked at and the first I drove, I didn't drive the first one it was lifting in filth :nooo:
I paid just over £10k and drove it from May last year to November without fault, over the winter I have replaced the exhaust clamps, front anti roll bar drop links, the oil pressure sensor and drivers side wing mirror. About £150 in parts.
Its going for the drivers side wing painting next week as there is some lacquer lifting and it will need a full set of tyres come the MOT in May so probably £1k there.
It needs the squeaking at the front diagnosing and fettling, Ill do that at the time of the MOT.
So probably about £1500 over 12 months, Mrs dt4's Merc B class has cost £800 in the same period. :what:

JS1500 said:
It's worth checking classic car auctions...
There's the auction at the Practical Classics show in a few days and also this one...

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-de...t/43962/?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/115/

...for example.

I'm pretty sure traders like FGP get theirs like this and sell them on with a big mark up.

Good shout JS1500

Also worth keeping an eye on the catalogue for Anglia, too

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-13th-april-2019/

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back