Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My window is arsing about

MaxA

Magny-Cours
My drivers' side window seems to have a mind of its own: it's not dropping and rising the 1cm or so properly when I open or close the door.

Seems like water ingress, and it's got slightly better, presumably as it's dried a little (it's still winter here).

So is there a cheap fix, or do I need to replace something? :dont know:

On the 996 it's a common problem and it's usually a dry joint on the circuit board for the various switches in the lock.

It's a doable DIY job but the part is expensive from Porsche, it's an Audi TT part for the 996 and that's much more affordable...

Just had similar, window would drop, then go up, then drop, then go up, then drop a few times every time I opened the door. My Indy put some 'lube' on the mechanism which freed the switches up and now works fine after opening and closing it a load of times, letting the lube get into the mechanism......

Thank you gentlemen, these threads seem to clarify that it is a door handle microswitch issue. I'll try a bit of WD40 in the lock in the hope that it is only water, but that's only desperation. The carpets are bone dry on the driver's side [I just fitted some Rennline pedals] but I'll have a look at the alarm control module too, on the other side, just to satisfy myself that it's not obviously damaged by water. You never know, a stray lump of snow might have found it's way in from one of the children (not that they go in the back too readily anymore, but it did happen over the weekend). At the moment, I can still close the door (and lock the car) from the outside with a nudge, and from the inside, by lowering the window first. :dont know:

Can i just point out .. the window will drop if you open the inner handle .. it will drop if you open the outer handle ..

For it to be just the outer handle micro switch then it would have to be stuck on open .. the window basically would never close ..

Not sure if thats the fault you have .

To reset a window .. close it all the way , release then hold the button in the closed position for 5 seconds .

Door locks are a common fault on both 996 and 997 .

deMort said:
Can i just point out .. the window will drop if you open the inner handle .. it will drop if you open the outer handle ..

For it to be just the outer handle micro switch then it would have to be stuck on open .. the window basically would never close ..

Not sure if thats the fault you have .

To reset a window .. close it all the way , release then hold the button in the closed position for 5 seconds .

Door locks are a common fault on both 996 and 997 .

Many thanks, DeMort, I'll try the reset and report back. The odd thing is, this happened after I got the car (hand) washed - it was basically brown all over - and it improved a little after a day or so, hence my thoughts turning to water in the mechanism.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back