Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The American approach to IMSB

Kingb4 said:
I was watching a US Youtube channel yesterday: Hoovie's garage.

Love his channel and especially enjoyed his Apollo 911 episodes.

Kingb4 said:
Getting hard facts to make the assessment is a challenge - but I have based my decision on Alex's data gathering (plus the data from the class-actions)

There is a similar poll in the 996 section of Rennlist with an outcome that is very similar to the poll here and the class action results (c10%). It's been running since 2013 and there have been something like 110 failures. However, what is interesting is the number of posts in that thread along the lines of "No failure but I pulled a perfectly good IMS out just incase".

New997buyer said:
alex yates said:
I'll agree with that :grin:

Finally we agree on something politically!?! :yahoo:

:hand: We agreed that people don't know which to laugh most at - Trump or Brexit.

:grin: :thumb:

Edit: I'll be honest - I think both are absolutely hilarious and we've had the best comedy injected in to politics in years. I'm lovin' it! :floor:

Kingb4 said:
Ghianightmare said:
Hartech posted on here recently (and forgive me if I am misquoting Baz) and advised that replacing the IMS without checking that the case was machined to the correct dimension was a waste of time. Based on their data, one of the reasons bearings fail is because the casing is too tight possibly due to poor manufacturing tolerances.

I can't find that thread at the moment. I'll link it when I find it.

I read the same thread recently....along with the "should I/shouldnt I remove my bearing cover" discussion, all really useful debate....

But to avoid turning this into a debate on the IMS itself. Will comment on the 'American' perspective.
I think the class-action in America provided a greater level of awareness around IMS issues and peoples expectation that every car should have been 'fixed'. It would have driven a greater level of IMS replacements as the settlement would only reimburse the costs of a replacement - so I guess people saw it as a no-cost upgrade or almost akin to a factory recall.
Here is a quote from the settlement itself: "Under the settlement and subject to proof, PCNA will reimburse Class Members for repair or replacement costs paid due to IMS related damage in Class Vehicles."

We may mock, but at least PCNA paid out and admitted an issue, more than PCGB have ever done.

Robertb said:
We may mock, but at least PCNA paid out and admitted an issue, more than PCGB have ever done.

I wasnt mocking :dont know:
I was suggesting that the class-action had driven greater IMS replacement, as Porsche was footing the bill?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back