Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

dash lights on, ignition off

911Tip

Hi all

Car is in body shop for some work and new expensive agm battery went totally dead - looks like drain issue not resolved.

They managed to open trunk and took out battery and charged overnight.

When reconnected, the dash lights are on even though ignition off. Car still starts ok. Airbag light goes and off off at second setting I am told.

Any thoughts? Switch? Main relay sticking? Other?

Thanks

Is the AGM battery a new addition?
Didn't think that was OEM so might need coding? It does on other newer variants.

Failing that, check for water under seats I think.

Basically you have a fault thats dishargeing the battery .. usual rules of pulling fuses apply but in this case dash lights on .. see if it does it with the headlight switch unplugged .

These can go faulty and give unusual light faults so worth checking first .

Airbag light on and off ?

Thats totally seperate and not something ive ever seen .. which is a bit worrying.. has the car been jump started at all ?

i will say .. electrical faults and body shop .. imho .. you need a garage to investigate these faults .. a bodyshop is great .. i love them .. but not for fault finding .

jonno_ said:
Is the AGM battery a new addition?
Didn't think that was OEM so might need coding? It does on other newer variants.

Failing that, check for water under seats I think.

I don't think coding is relevant to the 996, but will check.

Good point on water - will check...

deMort said:
Basically you have a fault thats dishargeing the battery .. usual rules of pulling fuses apply but in this case dash lights on .. see if it does it with the headlight switch unplugged .

These can go faulty and give unusual light faults so worth checking first .

Airbag light on and off ?

Thats totally seperate and not something ive ever seen .. which is a bit worrying.. has the car been jump started at all ?

i will say .. electrical faults and body shop .. imho .. you need a garage to investigate these faults .. a bodyshop is great .. i love them .. but not for fault finding .

The car had the headlight switch replaced by the previous owner in last couple of years, but guess it could have gone again.

Not certain if they jumped it - but let's say possible...

Have the garage investigating now. Fingers crossed something hasn't got fried..... I think the comment on the airbag light is that it comes on and off as expected on the second click - but all of the others lights are also on with key not turned (and I think with the key not in the ignition at all). Havn't seen the car so this is secondhand.

In fact, symptoms are even stranger I am told. If the key is in the start position, the car can be started by connecting the battery. Engine continues to run even with key removed... mechanic will investigate properly today.

911Tip said:
In fact, symptoms are even stranger I am told. If the key is in the start position, the car can be started by connecting the battery. Engine continues to run even with key removed... mechanic will investigate properly today.

Sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch (the bit the mechanical part - the barrel - operates with the key) is stuck in the on position. Either that or the relay it controls.

Griffter said:
911Tip said:

Sounds like the electrical part of the ignition switch (the bit the mechanical part - the barrel - operates with the key) is stuck in the on position. Either that or the relay it controls.

Yep - think it needs the updated housing 996-347-017-07 from Porsche, and also part number 4B0-905-849 from VAG for the electrical portion.

Or as you say one of the relays (not sure which?)

It was a contact in the electrical part of the ignition switch. Replaced with VAG part.

Griffter said:

Thanks! You were spot on.

I'm quite surprised how many contacts have needed to be replaced on this car. Is this typical of the early water cooled I wonder at higher mileage?

- head light switch
- now ignition switch (left original housing as it seems ok)
- one door lock (microswitches)
- both door microswitsches (the pigtails)
- front trunk switch
- contacts between front lights and loom (well that was after replacing bulbs)

911Tip said:
I'm quite surprised how many contacts have needed to be replaced on this car. Is this typical of the early water cooled I wonder at higher mileage?

- head light switch
- now ignition switch (left original housing as it seems ok)
- one door lock (microswitches)
- both door microswitsches (the pigtails)
- front trunk switch
- contacts between front lights and loom (well that was after replacing bulbs)

Yes. Most of (if not all of) what's on your list is cheap VAG parts bin rubbish from the late 90's, fitted to cars that were coming out of the factory at a quarter of the price of a 911.

Be prepared for a window regulator and an indicator stalk here and there, too. For a premium car it really was fitted with some utter toss.

Yep the quality took a nosedive with the 996, component quality and interior rattles being the main offenders.

I just had to fit a new ignition switch to mine on Saturday. Coincidence or did the car know I had sold it? :grin:

On the plus side at least the parts to fix things are cheap. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Y

Certainly are if you do enough digging into the part numbers and come back with the VAG equivalents. The VW guys often modify the door mechanisms by soldering in new 99p switches from eBay rather than paying the £150 for a new one.

Likewise when your door lock barrel innards crap themselves (and they will) Porsche attempt to solve it with a £300 inner handle assembly kit when you can buy the door lock repair kit for the VW Bora at......£4.99.....delivered.

Shambles.

arry said:
Marky911 said:
Y

Certainly are if you do enough digging into the part numbers and come back with the VAG equivalents. The VW guys often modify the door mechanisms by soldering in new 99p switches from eBay rather than paying the £150 for a new one.

Likewise when your door lock barrel innards crap themselves (and they will) Porsche attempt to solve it with a £300 inner handle assembly kit when you can buy the door lock repair kit for the VW Bora at......£4.99.....delivered.

Shambles.

That's interesting.

Do we have a parts lookup table on here?

The car has already had the window regulators done ... but not the door lock barrel (unless that was part of the uber expensive door lock...

I got these a while ago - which sorted some alarm / horn beeps, and an issue on the window drop:
Inside handle microswitch:
996.613.123.00 (Same both sides) - so TWO of

Outside handle microswitch:
996.613.125.00 (Left) ONE of
996.613.126.00 (Right) ONE of

Door lock 8N2837016B  - drivers side ONE of these

I found one of the used pigtails, and I'd agree the micro switch looks like a very cheap generic part.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back