Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GT3 Bought. A few thoughts:

Jake1906

Yesterday I fulfilled a dream and I now own a 991.1 GT3, bought painlessly from an OPC, with for me, the right colour and the right options- comfy seats, front lift and steel brakes, oh, and the right price.

14 months of looking; scratching through endless pages on Google, watching videos ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous and reading articles about values, 'it's not a manual' engine failures et al. I even considered other makes... I am sure I am in good company here!

During this process I came to a few conclusions that I would like to share with those of you kind enough to read this post:

I bought a GT3 because I love Porsches, I have had 7 in my life starting with with a 944 turbo in the 80's. I enjoy (surprisingly enough) driving these cars. I currently have a 993, a Cayman S and now the GT3. They will all go on track occasionally and be enjoyed, yet I am no Derek Bell. It is currently snowing in Scotland where I live and decided to take the GT3 out this morning. Surprisingly it was no more difficult to drive than a Mercedes or BMW, needless to say I did not get within a mile of 9000rpm...

Trawling through forums I was made aware of engine issues: Mine has had the engine changed which has a 10 year warranty plus a full manufacturer's warranty until 2011. Depreciation: who buys a modern car as an 'investment'? Good luck to those that do, but I certainly did not buy a GT3 to 'make' money. I get the impression that there are people out there who want a car that appreciates in value, costs nothing to run and will never break down (if you are one of those, can I suggest you vaccinate yourself by buying a Range Rover!)

There are 1001 sensible reasons why not to buy a GT3 or any other sports car for that matter, yet we do. I have read lots of doom and gloom column inches about GT3's and wonder sometimes if the authors have actually sat in one let alone driven one.

Ultimately my very personal view is that if you are in the market for this type of car, i.e. you can afford it financially and emotionally, and have an affinity for the brand, find a good one and take the plunge, they tick the boxes for most petrolheads and will leave you grinning like a teenager every time you take it out.

Congrats on your purchase :thumbs:

Would be good to see a pic or two.

Thank you :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0054_466.jpg
    img_0054_466.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 7,852
Pic 2

Attachments

• img_0048_346.jpg
    img_0048_346.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 7,850
Wow! Beautiful... Good on yer :thumb:

I'd love one. But life keeps throwing up 'challenges' Bloody financial ones unfortunately. But I can't complain :)

Jake1906 said:
Ultimately my very personal view is that if you are in the market for this type of car, i.e. you can afford it financially and emotionally, and have an affinity for the brand, find a good one and take the plunge, they tick the boxes for most petrolheads and will leave you grinning like a teenager every time you take it out.

Amen!

Congratulations; is that rhodium silver? Looks really nice, like the old Polar Silver.

991.1 GT3 at 9,000 rpm makes one of the best noises 8)

Edit to add, 991 + 993 in the fleet. Perfect.

Thanks Y2K.

It is. I was not sure about the stickers and the black wheels having only seen it in pictures until delivery but I think it looks pretty good in the flesh and will live with it for a while. The interior is fantastic, carbon & 18 way seats. I was concerned that I might be underwhelmed but not a chance. A great pairing with the 993 and I think it will take a long long time to wipe the :D off my face!

Many congratulations, and health to enjoy. :thumbs: :D

A lovely looking car, and a great rationale for buying it.

You only think you're grinning from ear-to-ear now. Wait until the better weather and that 9K rpm limit becomes a screaming reality, then you'll grin so much that lockjaw will set in. :grin: :lol:

Lovely car OP and your philosophy is sound I think. When you're in your rocking chair down at suny side retirement home you'll be looking at that lovely young nurse (unfortunately probably not alluringly foreign thanks to brexit..) thinking...you should have known me when I had my GT3 :floor:

I think the stickers needs to go personally, lovely colour a bit spoiled perhaps by those :?:

very nice :thumb: will keep an eye out for you I`m not far away in Dunning

Fantastic :thumb: Well done :thumb: :thumb: :thumbs:

fantastic a 993 and a gt3 my ultimate dream .great colour sir

Lovely looking motor, initial impressions.... I liked the decals.

Very nice chum :thumb:

I wasn't aware of the engine 'issues' on this version :dont know: I'll see if I can do a firmware update on the Colini Stick :roll:

:welcome: back

Great looking car, any side pics :camera:

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back