Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sub £10k cars

Daviebrown

Trainee
What about the sub 10k cars on ebay this morning, on the surface it appears theres some decent entry level 996's to be had. 2 of them look a bit too cheap but they would still be worth further enquiry. What do you think?

I know someone selling a '99 cab for approx £12k :dont know:

Good car with good history and lots of original parts :thumb:

The silver aerokitted one that popped up the other day looks like an absolute bargain on paper/photos can't imagine it will be around for long unless it's got a serious issue

The silver T-reg car on eBay (aerokit, £13850) looks decent.

I think the cars at the lower price point, are perfect for somebody who isn't afraid and is capable of DIY.

Y2K said:
The silver T-reg car on eBay (aerokit, £13850) looks decent.

I think the cars at the lower price point, are perfect for somebody who isn't afraid and is capable of DIY.
that was my thoughts, if you could find a one with a sound heart and make it a labour of love minting it up.

There does seem to be more at this price point since the turn of the year. the blue '99 C2 at £9,900 and the silver manual '00 at £+9,100 seem good value if they're not totally shot. The next two manual cars on ebay have recorded damaged so maybe not such a bargain price for those.

Scam?

The silver 9100 car is on autotrader at 16.5k. Think the ebay one is a hacked account and a scam of some sort. I had a look at the actual car the other day. Owned by a nice guy, (not pirsche enthusiast, thought decals were oe etc.) reasonable history and condition seems to back up the mileage. Smartest interior of the ones ive seen.

The blue one for 9900 i spoke to the owner sounds nice enough guy. Theres no service history at all although mots back up mileage. Sounds like a reasonable project for someone with time and the ability. Has a grey interior which it seens most ppl don't like although i actually do.

I also had a look at the silver one for 13850. Looks nice has corrosion on both wheelarches and has had a respray at some point. Also the front bumper has a much larger panel gap on one side which the owner thinks may just be from where he fitted it when doing the rads. Has had a roll cage in it in its younger years. Reasonably smart inside given miles. Also had a nention od dme code on bank 4,5,6 frim porsche indy.

I the 9900 has a dodgy gearbox-i know the last owner (owns a body shop). It also had 3 tins of filler down the passenger side.

Y2K said:

The only problem with that, and it's not something I would be concerned about but others definitely are in the snobbery surrounding FSH / recognised Indy's only, is that you never recreate that folder full of history that other cars are going to have.

I'm keeping mine forever so I don't give a toss that its last service was 4 months late (despite only having covered 600 miles lol) but if I were to sell it in years to come no doubt some aficionado would write my car off as not worth bothering with.

arry said:
no doubt some aficionado would write my car off as not worth bothering with.

Not to worry, those people don't ever buy cars anyway, they either have one they paid over the odds for already and maintain with open chequebook or will never actually own one as spending money too risky for them.

They just sit on the internet browsing adverts and posting on the forums discounting any car posted as too cheap or scaremongering others.

True story bro ;)

a sub 10k car won't stay sub 10k for too long. I tried that and ending up putting a few K to get the car to a half decent standard.

they are cheap for a reason and there is no such thing as a super cheap 911. its not a ford fiesta to buy or run or replace parts.

as long as you go in open eyed and have a slush fund for pending repairs you should be fine..... :floor:

NLW73 said:
a sub 10k car won't stay sub 10k for too long. I tried that and ending up putting a few K to get the car to a half decent standard.

they are cheap for a reason and there is no such thing as a super cheap 911. its not a ford fiesta to buy or run or replace parts.

as long as you go in open eyed and have a slush fund for pending repairs you should be fine..... :floor:

That's the point though, really. Plenty of people buy £13k cars that still need work doing. I would consider my car to be a good one and that's what it was up for - it still needed brakes at the rear, new rear boxes, tyres all round, and a few other little foibles sorted.

If you buy one that needs more than that - let's say, for arguments sake, brakes all round, new exhaust, new oxy sensors, new coils, new coffin arms and you can do it all yourself - well there's barely a couple of weekend's work there and choosing parts carefully from the right places you could easily do the lot for sub £1.5k and it's all stuff that needs to be done to at some point to a decent car anyway.

Buying one with a load of stuff done doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a load of stuff need doing in a couple of year's time which either hasn't been done, or needs doing again anyway.

It's possible to buy and run a 996 cheaply and really enjoy it, if you're prepared to muck in and go against the Porsche Owners Code. To hell with resale; drive it hard, enjoy it, enjoy maintaining it.

wasz said:
arry said:
no doubt some aficionado would write my car off as not worth bothering with.

Not to worry, those people don't ever buy cars anyway, they either have one they paid over the odds for already and maintain with open chequebook or will never actually own one as spending money too risky for them.

They just sit on the internet browsing adverts and posting on the forums discounting any car posted as too cheap or scaremongering others.
well said that man, i couldn't have said it better myself. There are still human beings out there buying cars. As opposed to electronic sceptics.

arry said:
To hell with resale; drive it hard, enjoy it, enjoy maintaining it.

I think you've summed up the view of a few of us here, spot on 'arry.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmacleod
Back