Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking about Remapping Porsche 997.2 Turbo s

apollokre1d said:
FZP said:
Why is a Turbo any less a track car than any other 911?

Right you are, in the proper hands they do just fine.

On the contrary I think that video proves my point. Look how early the Turbo was having to brake for the corners compared to the GT3 and how much the GT3 gained after being left on the straights.

The Turbo was being driven very well but imo the GT3 was being held up.

I said they do just fine, which it did :)
That GT3 was hardly all over the back of It.

I'd love to try a Turbo and a GT3 (from the same generation) back to back. While there is no doubt that a Turbo is quick down the straights, I wonder if an upgrade to the tyres and brakes wouldn't help.

In my (limited) experience on the track with a (mapped) Turbo, the driver couldn't help but launch it down the straight, and he then had to haul it back down for the first corner, where I could catch him up again.

We then found, on return to the pits, that the Turbo's rear tyres were gettiung very hot and overinflated, which made it pretty loose (the driver came in early). I found the opposite: my rears were reasonably cool, but my fronts were getting hot.

Good thread, as i have been thinking about the remap potential recently too, with little feedback on the forum, it seems Porsche owners think it is a little taboo.

My father and i had his 997 gen1 tuned at DMS with manifolds, full 200 cat back exhaust and it didn't miss a beat and was very fast indeed. After a few years he traded it in with the main porsche dealer for a 991 turbo s which is a great set up car std. The dealer only commented that the exhaust seemed quite loud.

I am not sure why DMS has a bad reputation on 911uk either?

He does a lot of Porsches and completed a 997.2 turbo 624bhp yesterday;
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAH5DCAiX9/

Since purchasing my 997.2 turbo i have been thinking with the idea again. 9E certainly does have a good reputation on here swell.

I have done a little remap research;

Remap only is between 580-600bhp and similar torque.

DMS flash software £1,900 +vat cheaper for repeat customers
9E flash software £2,295 + vat and can use genius device like cob (not sure how much)
ES motors COB hard ware box £1500 + remap £1500+vat

Add Kline or a larger 3" (ES) exhaust with 200cell/decat circa £3-£4k and probably get another 15-20bhp making 600-620bhp

If i decide to remap i will probably install a Kline 200 cell cat back prior to the remap. If you have ever tuned a car, you probably will always look into doing again as its slightly additive :puh: :grin:

Addo said:
Good thread, as i have been thinking about the remap potential recently too, with little feedback on the forum, it seems Porsche owners think it is a little taboo.

My father and i had his 997 gen1 tuned at DMS with manifolds, full 200 cat back exhaust and it didn't miss a beat and was very fast indeed. After a few years he traded it in with the main porsche dealer for a 991 turbo s which is a great set up car std. The dealer only commented that the exhaust seemed quite loud.

I am not sure why DMS has a bad reputation on 911uk either?

He does a lot of Porsches and completed a 997.2 turbo 624bhp yesterday;
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAH5DCAiX9/

Since purchasing my 997.2 turbo i have been thinking with the idea again. 9E certainly does have a good reputation on here swell.

I have done a little remap research;

Remap only is between 580-600bhp and similar torque.

DMS flash software £1,900 +vat cheaper for repeat customers
9E flash software £2,295 + vat and can use genius device like cob (not sure how much)
ES motors COB hard ware box £1500 + remap £1500+vat

Add Kline or a larger 3" (ES) exhaust with 200cell/decat circa £3-£4k and probably get another 15-20bhp making 600-620bhp

If i decide to remap i will probably install a Kline 200 cell cat back prior to the remap. If you have ever tuned a car, you probably will always look into doing again as its slightly additive :puh: :grin:

Alright mate :thumb:

I too have the 997.2 turbo and I paid a visit to 9e.

I went full Kline system (stainless, de-cat) including equal length manifold headers. I keep the 200 cel cats on a shelf ready to slot in just in case. It's been 3 years so far and I've not had to bother. Phew- as it would be a pain in the ass...

The only other main hardware component is the IPD intake plenum and new re gapped spark plugs. All brought together with a 9e tune.

According to the test data, it's pushing out just north of 600hp. I don't know the exact figures but what I do know is, it's bonkers fast!

Norfolk & Idea said:

I went full Kline system (stainless, de-cat) including equal length manifold headers. I keep the 200 cel cats on a shelf ready to slot in just in case. It's been 3 years so far and I've not had to bother. Phew- as it would be a pain in the ass...

The only other main hardware component is the IPD intake plenum and new re gapped spark plugs. All brought together with a 9e tune.

According to the test data, it's pushing out just north of 600hp. I don't know the exact figures but what I do know is, it's bonkers fast!

Hi there,

You have a great spec'd and no doubt rapid 997.2 turbo! Do you have any performance times now compared to standard like 0-100/ 1/4 mile etc. I think this would be the route I would go down. What difference does the intake plenum make in numbers I wonder, did you get the Y pipe as well? Out of interest do you have Cob storage device for the standard map? or as it is out of warranty I presume no need to swap maps for the dealer at services. I like the idea of bonkers fast too!

STD it is fantastic but a bit too muted, they have solved the issue with the 991.1 and 991.2 in my opinion. But I do love the 997.2 overall and an exhaust and remap would probably complete the car for me.

Looking into the 9e packages, it appears because the tune is safe, a lot of customers will purchase already tuned as 9e sells them tuned. Something to thing about rather than stripping the car back to std possibly if you ever wanted to sell.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Addo said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Hi there,

You have a great spec'd and no doubt rapid 997.2 turbo! Do you have any performance times now compared to standard like 0-100/ 1/4 mile etc. I think this would be the route I would go down. What difference does the intake plenum make in numbers I wonder, did you get the Y pipe as well? Out of interest do you have Cob storage device for the standard map? or as it is out of warranty I presume no need to swap maps for the dealer at services. I like the idea of bonkers fast too!

STD it is fantastic but a bit too muted, they have solved the issue with the 991.1 and 991.2 in my opinion. But I do love the 997.2 overall and an exhaust and remap would probably complete the car for me.

Looking into the 9e packages, it appears because the tune is safe, a lot of customers will purchase already tuned as 9e sells them tuned. Something to thing about rather than stripping the car back to std possibly if you ever wanted to sell.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Here's the results in a Vmax I attended last year. I'm number 550. I went purely out of curiosity to see how my car performed with all the big boys. I was pleasantly surprised how well I did. There were some serious punters there, laptops out and hooked up to change maps between runs... and out with the MS109 race fuel. But not little old me. Shell Vmax. And that was it.

The decat Kline gives a glorious howl on boost but is remarkably quiet on a neutral throttle. Perfect for towns and motorways. As said, I'm 3 years into ownership now and it hasn't missed a beat. And I don't need anymore poke!

Attachments

• vmax_brunters_923.png
    vmax_brunters_923.png
    181 KB · Views: 1,555
Addo said:
Good thread, as I have been thinking about the remap potential recently too, with little feedback on the forum, it seems Porsche owners think it is a little taboo.

I don't know about the taboo, but there are two camps, those who mod and those who keep it standard. I'd have modified a Turbo, if I bought one. All my other cars are or have been modified ... and if it's 'only' a set of new headers and a map, then it's not that difficult to do (that 550 car seems to rock!), if that's what floats your boat.

I always thought though that in order to safely modifiy a turbo'd car, you should add a new/better intake (more/better air going in), more cooling (bigger intercoolers) as well as all sorts of other stuff (blow off valves, injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler etc.).

MaxA said:
Addo said:
Good thread, as I have been thinking about the remap potential recently too, with little feedback on the forum, it seems Porsche owners think it is a little taboo.

I don't know about the taboo, but there are two camps, those who mod and those who keep it standard. I'd have modified a Turbo, if I bought one. All my other cars are or have been modified ... and if it's 'only' a set of new headers and a map, then it's not that difficult to do (that 550 car seems to rock!), if that's what floats your boat.

I always thought though that in order to safely modifiy a turbo'd car, you should add a new/better intake (more/better air going in), more cooling (bigger intercoolers) as well as all sorts of other stuff (blow off valves, injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler etc.).

You're right. It's all about ramming more cool air in there.

But the 997.2 turbo comes quite well aligned with OE. It's got the GT2RS intercoolers already fitted (I think the do88's are all the rage now) and the Y-pipe, throttle valve are good too. You just need the bigger IPD plenum in this area.

Going north of 650hp you'll need deeper pockets. Hybrid turbo's and uprated transmission come into play here :thumbs:

mikeluke said:
997.2 Turbo S not fast enough.....

Mmm - wondering where you live than you can actually drive anything quicker than that

:grin: did wonder the same!

This was an interesting read :grin:
Always makes me laugh when someone like the OP asks " I want a remap who should I use"
He didn't ask "all those that think stocks best please offer me your opinions on why not to remap it and as I am clearly stupid please remind me of the national speed limit while your at it " :floor: :floor: :floor:

Anyway to try and answer the question asked

I used DMS to remap my DB9 and Merc SL they did a good job no complaints but I have also heard their BHP etc data is exaggerated. :dont know:

I also have heard stories about ES mostly good but some negative

my NA car is currently with Wayne at Chipwizards who's supposed to be the best of the best when it comes to NA remaps but I dont know about turbos .

9E would be my option with a Turbo. I have never heard anything negative, Ken posts on here as they are a site sponsor , and know lots of guys that have varying levels of 9E upgrade (very surprised Faried hasn't commented yet with his 9XX beast. and all are very happy :thumb: :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Going north of 650hp you'll need deeper pockets. Hybrid turbo's and uprated transmission come into play here :thumbs:

Hybrid turbos are pointless on the 997.2 turbos, it's the fueling thats the limiting factor beyond 750bhp and then the clutch / gearbox...

AdeD said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Hybrid turbos are pointless on the 997.2 turbos, it's the fueling thats the limiting factor beyond 750bhp and then the clutch / gearbox...

I stand corrected. So the OE turbo's on a 997.2 turbo are good for 750hp & beyond?

Not that I'm interested, I'm more than happy with the power output of my car. Any additional mods for me will be suspension and chassis. :thumb:

The stock turbo's on a .2 are defo not suitable for 750bhp on pump fuel, no where near.

Ignore any figures posted on a dynojet dyno or claimed by DMS as they are hugely inflated. There are some videos somewhere that shows you what happens when you run a DMS car at brunters against something that is properly tuned.

In the UK with UK figures, i have just tuned a set of hybrid GT2 turbos, which have a larger compressor wheel to 680bhp at 1.5 bar. This does 100-200 in 5.7 seconds on a Tiptronic - PDK would be quicker but this is a .1 car.

You do not want to run a .2 at 1.5 bar for any sustained period of time as the bottom end is just not strong enough, that's the issue.

Mezgerite said:
The stock turbo's on a .2 are defo not suitable for 750bhp on pump fuel, no where near.

Ignore any figures posted on a dynojet dyno or claimed by DMS as they are hugely inflated. There are some videos somewhere that shows you what happens when you run a DMS car at brunters against something that is properly tuned.

In the UK with UK figures, i have just tuned a set of hybrid GT2 turbos, which have a larger compressor wheel to 680bhp at 1.5 bar. This does 100-200 in 5.7 seconds on a Tiptronic - PDK would be quicker but this is a .1 car.

You do not want to run a .2 at 1.5 bar for any sustained period of time as the bottom end is just not strong enough, that's the issue.

Plenty of .2's out there globally running 750bhp on stock turbos albeit they're all running meth... as i said limiting factor is the fueling followed by the clutch / gearbox.

Agree .1's need hybrid turbos to reach those figures and any DMS bhp claims.should be ignored..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back