Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

If I were to drive down to the Brighton area, once I get the exhaust manifolds back on the car, could I ask a tremendous favour and stick your wheels on my car to see what it looks like?

The 17" ten spokes I have in the garage I can weigh, actually quite interested in what they weigh with tyres now - but then I've been at the trail centre both days of the weekend, so may be suffering from low blood sugar.

Yep....

Though maybe just see it in the flesh as it were. Is yours still at Precision? I can have a nimble out to Sheffield Park on Wednesday if you're about?

Nice! - PM me with some dates, I'm working this weekend but around late next week. Ian will have stripped and rebuilt the motor by then!!!! And I might get round to washing mine...

Jamesx19 said:
17" wheels may be lighter than 18".

But, the offset may need adjusting with spacers, adding weight. Also the thicker tyre wall adds more rubber, adding weight. The wheel weight website (sorry don't have the link to hand on my mobile) handily quotes tyre weight for different 17" and 18" tyres. 17's aren't lighter as you may expect.

Obviously tyres will affect the moment of inertia more than the rims.

Neil, I can help with pics if you want. I have 18" Otto Fuchsfelage.

Cheers

Good shout out about the less may be more comment. I would have to check to see what is fitted and have a weigh off with my wheels. I could have a look back through the CLR thread and see if any wheels tyre weights were mentioned when they were fitted originally. The extra sidewall does make for a comfy ride especially with the exe-tc setup. Guess rotors / bells etc another
Way of reducing the corner weight.

Link to the wheel/tyre weight chart:

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

I was wrong above. Weight of 17" Michelin Pilot Sport 2's and the Cups appear to be around 0.7 - 1 kg lighter than 18" tyres.

I'd be interested to know the weight difference between the Braid BRZ wheels and the Fuchs Tony. The Braids say they are cast then welded to a forged rim (or the other way round I can't remember) The Otto Fuchs are a single forged piece.

I can't remember how the car drove on the heavier GT3 rims now, so maybe all a bit academic anyway. But really happy with the look. Which is important too right? 8)

Jamesx19 said:
Link to the wheel/tyre weight chart:

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

I was wrong above. Weight of 17" Michelin Pilot Sport 2's and the Cups appear to be around 0.7 - 1 kg lighter than 18" tyres.

I'd be interested to know the weight difference between the Braid BRZ wheels and the Fuchs Tony. The Braids say they are cast then welded to a forged rim (or the other way round I can't remember) The Otto Fuchs are a single forged piece.

I can't remember how the car drove on the heavier GT3 rims now, so maybe all a bit academic anyway. But really happy with the look. Which is important too right? 8)

Absolutely, it's form is just as important as function! 😎👍

Picked the car up today, was going to drive back home but ended up taking a 200 mile detour. Even in dreadful weather these are great cars to drive - I love how flat they are through a corner, resolutely refusing to roll as lateral forces ramp up and up. Additional benefit of surprising my parents when I popped in for a cup of tea, so some filial points accrued there.

Gaskets! Precision deserve some recognition for doing really well here - the Porsche gaskets available these days are one type, for the 3.6, and weren't sealing on my 3.4 as the mating surface is corroded somewhat.

Precision managed to locate some NOS 3.4 gaskets, and get everything sealed up neatly. Iain had the traditional handful of snapped bolts to show me, which is I believe how a 996 shows that it likes you.

I'm a bit taken aback at how different the port sizes are for a 200cc capacity increase:

47305838432_e95a2a439b_b.jpg

I can't stop looking at this :eek:

fuchs996_6621482f220761a8b3d1a07cd1fc04d00e132ec5.jpg

alex yates said:
I can't stop looking at this :eek:

fuchs996_6621482f220761a8b3d1a07cd1fc04d00e132ec5.jpg
Alex,
I think you've found your short term solution to a car upgrade. Buy these wheels/springs/wheel arch/stickers and you are officially winning. If and when you want to upgrade, move the wheels over to the new car or put them up for sale.
This is a winning formula in my book

Possibly! Coulster thought that they were Kercher FX which are 20mm further out than the actual Fuchs on the D911 site.

20mm is significant, makes a huge difference to how the wheels look - so important to know what the wheels are before committing to ~£2,000 worth of wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back