Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 65
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Super Unleaded in Scotland Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip through Scotland in June: Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe - Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to Grantown-on-Spey and down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh.

I can fill up at the Shell station near the Erskine bridge and I seem to recall there being a Gleaner station near Ben Nevis that used to sell Super but the next fuel stop I can see is back in Edinburgh. I'm on a tight schedule so can't afford to head up to Inverness where I understand they have Momentum. Are there any other Super unleaded pumps in between? I see there's a Tesco petrol station at Blairgowrie but I don't know whether it does Momentum.

I've reviewed various NC500 posts (some fantastic pictures and videos Surprised) but I'm not heading up that far.

Thanks in advance for any help - I'd rather not be driving Miss Daisy from Ben Nevis back to Edinburgh....
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona


Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Posts: 1458
Location: South Yorkshire


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor Floor Floor

It's Scotland mate. Not the fekin moon.... I'm sure you'll make it....

Floor Floor Floor
_________________
2012 997.2 Turbo Basalt Black. Bit of a 9E ing.
2008 Ducati 1098R (Track)
2016 Macan GTS
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911TEL
Barcelona


Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 1446
Location: Inverness & Kazakhstan

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Unleaded in Scotland Reply with quote

GP41 wrote:
I'm planning a trip through Scotland in June: Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe - Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to Grantown-on-Spey and down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh.

I can fill up at the Shell station near the Erskine bridge and I seem to recall there being a Gleaner station near Ben Nevis that used to sell Super but the next fuel stop I can see is back in Edinburgh. I'm on a tight schedule so can't afford to head up to Inverness where I understand they have Momentum. Are there any other Super unleaded pumps in between? I see there's a Tesco petrol station at Blairgowrie but I don't know whether it does Momentum.

I've reviewed various NC500 posts (some fantastic pictures and videos Surprised) but I'm not heading up that far.

Thanks in advance for any help - I'd rather not be driving Miss Daisy from Ben Nevis back to Edinburgh....


Great route but I have to say that the part you haven't got time for Inverness & North is even better …Wink

Ive added a few locations in CAPS where you would have a good chance of 98ron.. maybe someone could add some more definite info in for these locations ...

Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe-BALLACHULISH Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to AVIEMORE Grantown-on-Spey ,TOMINTOUL , PERTH and down through the Cairngorms PERTH to Edinburgh

Enjoy the drive , keep your eyes open around Grantown on Spey for the Boys in Blue ….good roads = BIB

Terry
_________________
997 Gen 2 Turbo S Basalt Black -BBS CHR, Kline inconel exhaust, DSC V1 & Polished Bliss air freshener...
Cayenne S diesel 850 N/ m torque!!!! Jet black
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robertb
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 6844
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't detract noticeably from the car's performance if you fill up with 95ron once in a while.

In fact I sometimes worry that in stations where demand is lower, and its likely to have been sitting in tanks for a while whether some of the advantage is lost and you'd do better with fresh 95.

And does anyone from trading standards test whether the fuel grades are actually different?
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Floor Floor Floor

It's Scotland mate. Not the fekin moon.... I'm sure you'll make it....

Floor Floor Floor


Thanks for that valuable piece of worldly advice - much appreciated.
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Unleaded in Scotland Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
GP41 wrote:
I'm planning a trip through Scotland in June: Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe - Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to Grantown-on-Spey and down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh.

I can fill up at the Shell station near the Erskine bridge and I seem to recall there being a Gleaner station near Ben Nevis that used to sell Super but the next fuel stop I can see is back in Edinburgh. I'm on a tight schedule so can't afford to head up to Inverness where I understand they have Momentum. Are there any other Super unleaded pumps in between? I see there's a Tesco petrol station at Blairgowrie but I don't know whether it does Momentum.

I've reviewed various NC500 posts (some fantastic pictures and videos Surprised) but I'm not heading up that far.

Thanks in advance for any help - I'd rather not be driving Miss Daisy from Ben Nevis back to Edinburgh....


Great route but I have to say that the part you haven't got time for Inverness & North is even better …Wink

Ive added a few locations in CAPS where you would have a good chance of 98ron.. maybe someone could add some more definite info in for these locations ...

Carlisle - Glasgow - Glencoe-BALLACHULISH Ardnamurchan - Fort William, then across to AVIEMORE Grantown-on-Spey ,TOMINTOUL , PERTH and down through the Cairngorms PERTH to Edinburgh

Enjoy the drive , keep your eyes open around Grantown on Spey for the Boys in Blue ….good roads = BIB

Terry


Thanks Terry - I'll keep my eyes peeled. Aviemore sounds like a good shout.


thumbsup
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HSC911
Long Beach


Joined: 23 Jul 2014
Posts: 6288
Location: Bedford


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Floor Floor Floor

It's Scotland mate. Not the fekin moon.... I'm sure you'll make it....

Floor Floor Floor


Floor Floor Floor

I love N&I's posts Grin

Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
New997buyer
Fuji


Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 9140



PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did the NC500 I had some Millers octane booster with me. I’ll be taking more of the same this May Thumb

That way all I had to worry about was enjoying the driving.....and trying hard not to be the muppet tourist who’d stuffed his Porsche in a ditch or peat bog Grin
_________________
“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.” Albert Einstein

Present - 997.1 turbo man
Past - 997.1 turbo tip S, 996.2 turbo tip S, 996.1 C2 man
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New997buyer wrote:
When I did the NC500 I had some Millers octane booster with me. I’ll be taking more of the same this May Thumb

That way all I had to worry about was enjoying the driving.....and trying hard not to be the muppet tourist who’d stuffed his Porsche in a ditch or peat bog Grin


Thumb

Erm, yes, I guess that would be just a little embarrassing Embarassed
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
patpending
Nürburgring


Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 402
Location: IoM


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Floor Floor Floor

It's Scotland mate. Not the fekin moon.... I'm sure you'll make it....

Floor Floor Floor


Where most of our oil and petrol comes from Grin

Hopefully you’ll also be able to avoid those horse and carts Wink

Enjoy 👍
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ragpicker
Estoril


Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Posts: 3914
Location: North East England


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol?

Bloody luxury.

I remember when we used to have to power our vehicles on fermenting cow pats.
_________________
996 turbo - Available to buy if you're interested: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131025&highlight=
986 S - usually in pieces: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112626
955 Cayenne Turbo - a work in progress: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131286&highlight=
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
New997buyer
Fuji


Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 9140



PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
Petrol?

Bloody luxury.

I remember when we used to have to power our vehicles on fermenting cow pats.


You had cow pats? Luxury...
_________________
“Try not to become a man of success. Rather become a man of value.” Albert Einstein

Present - 997.1 turbo man
Past - 997.1 turbo tip S, 996.2 turbo tip S, 996.1 C2 man
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Gorsh
Silverstone


Joined: 24 Oct 2015
Posts: 102
Location: Isle of Man

2015 Porsche Boxster 981

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car will be fine with a couple of tanks of 95, I've been north of Inverness many times and in some places finding a fuel station is a bonus - never mind super! despite the good driving roads the total time on full power will be low (compared to say a track) so with Porsche engines all designed to be OK on 95 I wouldn't worry.

The Highlands are beautiful - choose your route based on time available and roads/scenery rather than chasing down fuel and you'll get more pleasure from your trip.
_________________
981 Boxster GTS
991.2 Carrera GTS (sold)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
James M-S
Imola


Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 869
Location: Derbyshire

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a Tesco at Oban , 1 Soroba Ln, Oban PA34 4HX

Unfortunately google images only shows 1 type of green and one type of black juice.

Have fun!

Definitely worth doing the old military road through the Cairngorms down from Grantown-on-spey towards Lecht ski resort and on to Balmoral
_________________
Manual 997.2 c2 :Basalt + gtechniq : H&S + Gundo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips.

patpending - it's ironic isn't it. I don't think I'll be all that far from Grangemouth on my drive back into Edinburgh. Rolling Eyes

Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
SCPoster
Silverstone


Joined: 26 Mar 2014
Posts: 125
Location: Fife

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP41 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

patpending - it's ironic isn't it. I don't think I'll be all that far from Grangemouth on my drive back into Edinburgh. Rolling Eyes

Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?



Kinross services (15 miles south of Perth on the M90 on the way to Grangemouth) sell super unleaded - use this station most of the time.
_________________
997.1 C2S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCPoster wrote:
GP41 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

patpending - it's ironic isn't it. I don't think I'll be all that far from Grangemouth on my drive back into Edinburgh. Rolling Eyes

Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?



Kinross services (15 miles south of Perth on the M90 on the way to Grangemouth) sell super unleaded - use this station most of the time.


Thumb
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
ragpicker
Estoril


Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Posts: 3914
Location: North East England


PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP41 wrote:


Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?


What an udderly appropriate question. You're right, the difficulty is getting it pasture filler neck.

I'd try mixing it with some high %abv Scottish milk - don't worry, I won't steer you wrong..

Thumb
_________________
996 turbo - Available to buy if you're interested: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131025&highlight=
986 S - usually in pieces: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=112626
955 Cayenne Turbo - a work in progress: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131286&highlight=
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Long Beach


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 6171
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just add .. the car will happily adapt to what ever fuel you put in it .. other than diesel.

If you cant find super unleaded then standard is fine .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GP41
Nürburgring


Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 463
Location: Lancs


PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:
GP41 wrote:


Just one question. What should I mix the cowpats with to get them through the neck of the fuel tank?


What an udderly appropriate question. You're right, the difficulty is getting it pasture filler neck.

I'd try mixing it with some high %abv Scottish milk - don't worry, I won't steer you wrong..

Thumb


Now that’s my kind of post. No bull. No bum steers.

You’ve really got me in the mooooood now. And I feel better knowing that while we’re away our cattle be ok.

I would’ve expected a post like this from New996 BYRE.
_________________
997.2 C4 PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum