Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reverse sensor system constant beeping

Paynewright

Montreal
My 996.2 has been in the garage for some work needing the drivers seat taking out and carpets lifting.

Car now gives constant beeping when reversing which does increase when you get close to something.

Just wondering if something disturbed or just an unfortunate coincidence? Previously gave an occasional false bleep but never constant. I've googled it and found about faulty sensors ticking - I'll have a listen tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Where is the wiring / module located? Can it be turned off?

Regards
Ian

Just thought I'd clarify for you before you start swapping out good sensors: The ones you can hear ticking are the working ones - if you can't hear it ticking then it's dead (I replaced one today on a BMW having diagnosed it by ear).

I did wonder about ticking = faulty as sticking your head near it would probably make it tick!

I'll make sure I use my good ear!!
Thanks

Ian

They click constantly to transmit the ultrasonic waves and then "hear" the reflected waves to identify anything that is within the predetermined distance.

(My 5 series goes to a constant beep with about 9 inches to spare but my girlfriend's Alpina waits until there's only about 4 inches to go before the constant beep, which has caught me out a couple of times backing her car too snuggly).

Hope you get it sorted :thumb:

Every day is a school day! I now know considerably more about parking sensors than I did yesterday.

Thanks for comments so far. Still wondering if something was disturbed under the seat to cause the fault. Anyone know where the wires run / module is located?

Ian

Just the drivers side lifted - I'll have a look. I found a unit for sale on ebay so know what I'm looking for.

It is quiet when you slot into reverse but as soon as it starts moving the bleep starts.

Ian

Dont just change the unit please .. if its not obvious from the above suggestions then a tester connected will say if it is a dead sensor or C.U etc so get a garage to have a look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back