Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Found this under the Fuel Filler Cap- What is it for?

DAVIDGT996

Silverstone
Not quite sure what the item is supposed to do as it just sits there not attached to anything.

Attachments

• inside_fuel_filler_cap~3_775.jpg
    inside_fuel_filler_cap~3_775.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,156
some trickle charger connector maybe??

Has someone routed the cables for external battery charger through to the fuel flap area. Looks to me like a quick fit extension cable similar to those with the Ctek etc so you don't have to use the crocodile clips every time.. Actually a really good place to put it assuming thee is no spark risk when connecting or disconnecting.

Cheers......Ian

Well its not standard thats for sure !

Wire colour would indicate its for a trickle charger ..

Im not sure thats the best place to put an electrical connection that might possibly spark at some point :eek:

My uncle (RAF fast jet pilot and later BA Captain) once put his cigarette out in a jar of petrol in front of me to show that it was the vapour that catches fire.

I'd still never do the same thing- my tolerance for risk is lower than his, even perceived risk. As such, I'd have that connector and associated wiring out of there.

CTEK Trickle Charger

Ok Thanks - so I could get a CTEK spark free charger and use that to charge the battery via the petrol filler cap.

I have another weird connection cable end under the bonnet which I have no idea what is for - will post a photo up of that one shortly.

Dammit said:
My uncle (RAF fast jet pilot and later BA Captain) once put his cigarette out in a jar of petrol in front of me to show that it was the vapour that catches fire.

Sounds like the sort of uncle every lad should have 8)

Re: CTEK Trickle Charger

DAVIDGT996 said:
I have another weird connection cable end under the bonnet which I have no idea what is for - will post a photo up of that one shortly.

Please use a torch...and not a candle :grin:

:grin:

Re: CTEK Trickle Charger

DAVIDGT996 said:
Ok Thanks - so I could get a CTEK spark free charger and use that to charge the battery via the petrol filler cap.

There would presumably need to be terminals attached to the battery.

I would want any mystery cables tested before connecting anything to them.

Maybe you've got an early 996 plug-in hybrid prototype? :dont know:

Mystery Tour

I will follow the cables through and see where they end up. How exciting

Agreed - look like ctek charger connection.
Hard to see why you'd route it there rather than up from battery to near the wipers - remote from any petrol vapour....
918s had some well documented fires attributed to petrol filler & exhaust proximity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back