Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Thanks buddy! :thumb:

I'd have any one of them back... well maybe not the black one but I still enjoyed it as it was my first 911. :wink:

Taking my time on the car hunt now.
I've decided it absolutely 100% has to be a 987 Spyder.... for my road trip.

But I've also decided it absolutely 100% has to be '6 GT3 as a keeper.

:grin:

So who knows what one I'll go for. My road trip is only for 3 weeks but I think those Spyders are so special for what they are and roof off fun in the Alps will be great.
The only one on the market with my spec is the black one at 911V but the black hides the shape a bit and is a nightmare to look after.

GT3 wise I'm visiting family in Colchester next month so I may have the Saturday to myself and visit RPM and Autostore if their GT3s are still there.

I'd buy a Spyder unseen from a decent seller but the GT3s vary so much in condition that I'd need to view first.

I don't want to buy a Spyder and have the hassle of selling after my trip so that option is out. Whatever I buy I'll have for a good few years, health and work permitting of course.

The GT3 would be my choice and probably the best long term 'investment'.

Nice problem to have!

Good luck with whichever you decide. 8)

Yes JS I certainly rate GT3s higher than Spyders overall although for fun and the added open top dimension it's a tough one.

Here's the other big concern though and I've probably said it before, but I think cars may be dead as investments. Another 20 years time and it'll all be electric etc so will the government tax petrol cars off the road? Either by petrol tax or road tax.

I am not in anyway an investor or in it for the money, as my recent 996 exercise proves. :grin:

However I would be very disappointed if £60k turned into £0 by buying a GT3.
I'm only a north east working class lad and it's a big spend for me.
So whilst I'm not bothered if the car doesn't rise in value, if I was to lose it all I'd probably wish I'd just paid £60k off my mortgage quicker instead.

Nobody knows I suppose but I definitely think we've passed the peak as far as 'cars as investments" goes.
With that in mind I'll still take the plunge as I'll be buying a car I really want and will be having some great experiences. I'm an enthusiast not a speculator, but it is a point worth thinking about. :thumb:

Euro Trip

Mark.I had a 2.7 boxster for a 3250 mile Euro Trip. It is amazing what you can stuff into them. One thing to be wary of is it was regularly high 30's in South of France/Italy and I resembled a purple turnip after one day with the roof down! Now being of Celtic blood I am not bred for warmer climates but a convertible was not for me! You must do the Swiss mountain passes as it was the highlight of the trip for me.
Along with Lake Como,Porsche Museum and the Nürburgring ofcourse!

Attachments

• milau_viaduct_190.jpg
    milau_viaduct_190.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 3,662
Marky911 said:
Here's the other big concern though and I've probably said it before, but I think cars may be dead as investments. Another 20 years time and it'll all be electric etc so will the government tax petrol cars off the road? Either by petrol tax or road tax.

I am not in anyway an investor or in it for the money, as my recent 996 exercise proves. :grin:

I'm only a north east working class lad and it's a big spend for me.
So whilst I'm not bothered if the car doesn't rise in value, if I was to lose it all I'd probably wish I'd just paid £60k off my mortgage quicker instead.

Nobody knows I suppose but I definitely think we've passed the peak as far as 'cars as investments" goes.
With that in mind I'll still take the plunge as I'll be buying a car I really want and will be having some great experiences. I'm an enthusiast not a speculator, but it is a point worth thinking about. :thumb:

Spot on Mark although you already know my thoughts. :thumb:

Mark, now that your car is gone, I & many others will miss the latest installment of your rebuild. Always interesting, always awaiting the next post to see what you were planning :worship:
So get a move on with your next purchase as these spanners will be getting rusty & I can't wait to see what you will be up to. You won't be able to resist a minor mod or ten :) Good luck with the next purchase

Marky911 said:

I completely agree with this, I fear a lot of people will soon be in negative equity. Its inevitable IMO that any older car will be taxed or have to pass some test that will be designed so they fail so they will be no longer viable to run for normal folks. Its a while off but its going that way for sure Id say. Saying that its maybe a case of enjoy now whilst you can.

Never been in a Spyder so cant say what the wind buffeting is like but I found the novelty of roof down motoring wore of quite quickly when I had my 986.

I strongly believe, and hope, that you're wrong regarding classic cars. They are, after all, more environmentally friendly than a Prius for example. They may be banned from inner cities but who wants to drive in inner cities anyway? Most 'investors' don't drive their cars anyway!

It is very difficult to predict classic car future I think EV conversions are on way type 996 electric conversions as there is many already on roads.

JS1500 said:
I strongly believe, and hope, that you're wrong regarding classic cars. They are, after all, more environmentally friendly than a Prius for example. They may be banned from inner cities but who wants to drive in inner cities anyway? Most 'investors' don't drive their cars anyway!

I hope I'm wrong!

Morning gents, yes we are in uncharted waters as far as the classic car scene goes.

Stichill that's a great pic. I've still never managed to plan a route that passes the Millau bridge as there's always some other destination that takes priority. It's on the list though.
Your pic reminds me of the Truman Show when he heads off for the horizon in a little boat but it's actually a wall with the horizon painted on it. :grin:
Important comment about sun burn. I'm fully factor50'd up, just going out in this country due to my health history.
I have always said I'm not a convertible person anymore, but those Spyders are nice.

Hi Ady, yep as above. Strange times to guess on which way is the best to go.
I'm just gonna buy what floats my boat the most and worry about it later. :grin:

Hi Chicb, thanks very much.
I won't be getting stuck in to anything as much as the C2. I want an easy year or two. :wink:
I'll always make a car my own though so will probs my have a thread running. Cheers. :thumb:

Hi Graham, yes who knows, things could crash or be alright.
I doubt many people will be in negative equity though. They may have a car worth less than they paid but not a car worth less than they owe.
I think most people buying the more pricier models will be chucking in a decent deposit.
So most can still get out in the black, but that doesn't mean a £20k loss wouldn't hurt a bit. :eek:
Yes the roof down motoring may not be a good as I remember it. I had a good blast out in my mates Spyder last year mind and it was great.
The wind noise in the Spyder is that bad over 50mph you may as well have the roof off anyway.
There is the fact that here in Blighty how often will I get to drop the hood though?

Hi JS, yes I hope we have another decade of business as usual. Price drops due to recession and things are ok as this always happens but a seismic shift in the use and taxation of petrol engines cars would be a shame.
My mate reckons it's happening much faster than he thought after a visit down south recently.

Hi Will, yep the usual talker uppers and talker downers depending on their livelihoods. :grin:

I've been reading a lot the past few days and I think classics will be ok for at least another 20 years. I may want out of mine way before then if I emigrate.
My wife wants to go now but I'll only go when I don't have to work. No point moving to a lovely place but still having to endure the daily grind.

Hi Szymon, I'd never go to the trouble of converting a classic to battery. You'd lose pretty much all of what makes the car what it is. When that day comes I'll just buy a modern EV and concentrate on other hobbies. :wink:

So the C2 went yesterday.
My mate Mark paid me straight away almost two weeks ago but had to clear his garage of all his boat stuff.

So last Thursday Mark came up to take the car for a drive. I was busy packing to leave for the RS day.
Anyway I'd never usually let anyone drive the car without me (other than Craig or my wife)
but I was busy and it was now Marks anyway.

So off he went in the crap weather and on filthy roads for 45 mins.
When he came back the car was stinking and filthy. He'd given it a proper spanking but whatever, it's his now.
However, he stalled it getting it on my driveway and must have wrestled with the key to get it started again. So you've guessed it, it knackered the ignition switch. Aargh! I'm sure cars know when you're selling them.
It may have been ready to die anyway but I've had no bother at all in 3 years.
Mark offered to pay for the part but I said no, I want it leaving me in perfect working order.

So anyway me and Craig fitted a new one yesterday then took the car down to Mark which is in my old home town.

I gave it a quick jet wash (not using the brush!) at the nearest filling station but it will need a proper wash by Mark.

The offending part.

Car dropped off.

After fitting the ignition switch with Craig I think it sparked that enjoyment from tinkering and fixing something and I had a major regret about selling, so I rang Mark before heading to his and said 'If you've any doubts I'll happily switch your money back through and keep the car."
He still wanted it though. Damn!

So that's it, it's gone.
I'm gonna save up and monitor the cars that sell over the next month or two and I'll have a day down south viewing a few next month.

In the meantime I may sort my garage.
It needs a full rewire with more sockets, proper lighting, some units, walls painting and floor sorting.
Big project though so I might leave it another year as we are scanning Zoopla once a week and may move.

At the very least though I need to seal the old concrete floor with waterproof PVA as the dust is a nightmare.
That's a warm weather job though really.

So this is it for this thread I think.
Massive thanks for the advice and opinions along the way with the C2. I've enjoyed almost all of it and the end result is a stunning 996.
When I drove it yesterday I just thought 'You idiot! for selling".
It really is a lovely thing to drive and they sound fantastic given the price of them.

That chapter in my Porsche journey is closed now though.
Onwards and upwards. :D

Cheers lads. :thumb:

Hi Mark, with your seat install did you get an airbag/seat belt warning light when you changed to a seat belt receiver that didn't have a pre-tensioner sensor in it? If so, how did you get round this?

= I have my seat base now, and will be installing the new seat (before taking it back out again to paint) shortly.

Morning Neil,

No you shouldn't get any warning lights by unplugging the seat wiring. That's all we did. Unplugged it, wrapped it in foam and taped it down to the floor so it wouldn't get damaged, rattle about, or get caught in the runners.

I left my pretensioner type seat belt buckle with my old drivers seat as the wiring is routed all the way around the underside of the seat. I just bought a passenger buckle and used that on the drivers side, as pax one mustn't have a tensioner.

The only plugs that will cause an airbag warning light are orange in colour (airbag circuit). So the one to the steering wheel airbag for example, which requires a resistor fitting when using the Cup wheel.

Of course I can only vouch for my car, things may differ from year to year but I'd be 99% sure yours is the same. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back