Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking about Remapping Porsche 997.2 Turbo s

mikeluke said:
997.2 Turbo S not fast enough.....

Mmm - wondering where you live than you can actually drive anything quicker than that

Yawn... such a dull post :?

Perhaps we should all get Ford Fiesta's then? After all, they can break the speed limits 'where we live'

With a little imagination, there's always somewhere we can find to let rip with a 600hp 911. And let me tell you- It's fekkin great fun! :thumb:

arifg said:
I also did not want any more upgrades than the remap. I have used EVOMSit by Sharkwerks. It is reversible and can be done at home via a PC. The results are superb. Alex at Sharkwerks is a great guy.The acceleration is more linear and there is no lag since the remap, 60 HP power gain, I believe. Sharkwerks have an excellent reputation and I was not disappointed.

azzyy said:
Hi Everyone,

So I have a 997.2 Turbo S and I have just had Europipe exhaust fitted and had air filter changed to high flow BMC filter

Couple of people have advised I should get the turbo reampped but I am in two minds.

Has anyone had their turbo S remapped? How much BHP do you have now? how does car drive since Remap?

I don't want to carry out any more upgrades just Remap.

Also, who should I go for Remap? The feedback on Forum about DMS is very negative, so I will stay away from DMS.

Thanks for your help

I have the exact Sharkwerks tune from Alex - done by EVOMSIT - excellent tune and a lot of fun. Power, torque and the throttle response is amazing , just like their NA tunes for the C4S I had before. For the NA the instant throttle response and torque increase was very noticeable which led me to go again with Sharkwerks - their 1 on1 help was excellent even though in they are in the states. Alex is british :)

Why, why, why?
Porsche gave you more than enough from stock.
You can easily lose your license in 10 seconds with a standard car.
Go ahead spend your 2 grand, you can then lose your license in 9.5 seconds!
I always have one thing to say to folk who want to do this.
If you want to drive fast, first learn to drive.
You would be far better investing your 2 grand on some proper track tuition, you would be truly amazed what you would learn.
Maybe then you would realise that your talent, will never ever reach what the car is capable of in standard trim.

I could quite easily lose my license by driving a 40hp and speeding. So that argument doesn't make any sense to me.

If anybody can explain what the legal limit is on how quickly I can get from 20-70mph I'll consider what sort of power level I should be running.

If being able to travel at the speed I wish to travel at and to get there in as short a time as possible is a bad thing, then I'll look at how I can reduce the effectiveness of my brakes as well.

MC

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Why, why, why?
Porsche gave you more than enough from stock.
You can easily lose your license in 10 seconds with a standard car.
Go ahead spend your 2 grand, you can then lose your license in 9.5 seconds!
I always have one thing to say to folk who want to do this.
If you want to drive fast, first learn to drive.
You would be far better investing your 2 grand on some proper track tuition, you would be truly amazed what you would learn.
Maybe then you would realise that your talent, will never ever reach what the car is capable of in standard trim.

100% agree. Buy a 991.2 turbo S or 992 turbo S if you want to go quicker. Daft though as 997 more than rapid enough out of the box. 997 turbo S was the first Porsche turbo I thought doesn't need any more power. Same with 991. These cars are rip your face off quick a-b straight out of the box. In fact on many b roads you couldn't even use 50% of a stock 997 turbo's power. I have to close my eyes with fright in the 991 turbo its so ridiculously fast when I've had a p ride. Something very wrong with you if you need to go faster :grin: :grin: :grin:

Desert Dragon said:
if you need to go faster

Just like living in a 9 bedroomed house, wearing a £5k watch or drinking £1k bottles of fizz the word 'need' is not relevant.

It's not about going faster; it's the way the power is delivered, the throttle response and the linear acceleration.
Losing a licence is literally a matter of seconds in any turbo stock or remapped.

I wonder what happened the OP? Sure you can remap it, but it would best to add the supporting mods to keep the map safe and reliable. That presumably would have been the question to ask.

I was also going to say, in relation to the rest of the thread, it's not about the speed, it's about the drive (at least it is for me). And yes, the money would be better spent on driver tuition, but the whole idea of a mapped Turbo is to run a ridiculously overpowered car, isn't it?

:dont know:

MaxA said:
the whole idea of a mapped Turbo is to run a ridiculously overpowered car, isn't it?

This exactly! If you want to go fast around a track buy a light weight car and get tuition. If you want a fast B road car from the porsche family buy a C2 or better yet a cayman / boxster. BUT if you want a car that accelerates stupidly fast, whilst being useable buy a turbo and modify it. A 911 turbo is not a track car to start with...

You can never have enough power Simples.

I love the feel of being on the edge when pushing a little. Makes me feel alive and a sense of occasion as I walk toward it and plonk my big arse in the tight bucket seat. Look around. Put the key in. Feel the steering wheel. Notch it out of gear. Turn the ignition. See the lights flicker on the fuel pressure gauge. And the meth read out. Start it up. A little lumpy as it warms up. Get out check tyre on pressures. Get back in. Put the 6 on point harness on. Mirrors manoeuvre. Warm enough. Check road conditions. Spin the wheels a little. And then ENJOY. All is a safe and respectful of other road users of course and never above 70. Did I mention I really like my car

Supporting mods or more over improvements on all round capability is a must. Without them u may die !

911tom said:
MaxA said:
the whole idea of a mapped Turbo is to run a ridiculously overpowered car, isn't it?

This exactly! If you want to go fast around a track buy a light weight car and get tuition. If you want a fast B road car from the porsche family buy a C2 or better yet a cayman / boxster. BUT if you want a car that accelerates stupidly fast, whilst being useable buy a turbo and modify it. A 911 turbo is not a track car to start with...
Why is a Turbo any less a track car than any other 911? Why does any 911 have to be any one thing. I thought the beauty of the 911 range was that the could GT cruise across the continent, sprint cross country in the twistes, rip around a track for the day or nip to the shops for a bottle of milk. :dont know:

FZP said:
Why is a Turbo any less a track car than any other 911? Why does any 911 have to be any one thing. I thought the beauty of the 911 range was that the could GT cruise across the continent, sprint cross country in the twistes, rip around a track for the day or nip to the shops for a bottle of milk.

The issue with a standard Turbo on track is that it can go very quickly between corners but hasn't got the brakes to haul the weight of it down very efficiently for corners.

If you treat a track like a fast, flat A road it's ok but it's way too tempting to go quicker than that and it's then that the limitations show themselves.

3/4 is not bad though especially when it does the other three so well. :D

T8 said:
FZP said:
Why is a Turbo any less a track car than any other 911? Why does any 911 have to be any one thing. I thought the beauty of the 911 range was that the could GT cruise across the continent, sprint cross country in the twistes, rip around a track for the day or nip to the shops for a bottle of milk.

The issue with a standard Turbo on track is that it can go very quickly between corners but hasn't got the brakes to haul the weight of it down very efficiently for corners.

If you treat a track like a fast, flat A road it's ok but it's way too tempting to go quicker than that and it's then that the limitations show themselves.

3/4 is not bad though especially when it does the other three so well. :D
I'll take your word for it as a seasoned Turbo owner :thumb: Out of curiosity, what is the fix to be able to use it 10/10ths on track

FZP said:
I'll take your word for it as a seasoned Turbo owner :thumb: Out of curiosity, what is the fix to be able to use it 10/10ths on track.

I don't think you'd ever make a turbo a 10/10ths track car, that's why Porsche made the GT3.

A good, experienced track driver (i.e very definitely not me) would make the best of it as they'd be far smoother but even they'd get frustrated by having to restrain themselves. Obviously upgrading the brakes would help (PCCB cars are a lot better) but even then the problem of weight remains.

Don't get me wrong, many turbo owners have a lot of fun on track but I've never met one that didn't report the brakes going off after a very few laps.

Also, the track does make a difference. A fast track with few slow corners eg. Silverstone or 'The Ring' wouldn't be so much of a problem as Brands Indy.

FZP said:
Why is a Turbo any less a track car than any other 911?

Right you are, in the proper hands they do just fine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back