Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Really thinking outside the box with the Morgan but wow yes why not.
Love the wacky races styling and I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road which is a big tick for me.

Morgan? Just make sure you drive one before deciding, ride and handling are from the Flintstones era!

Dammit said:
FWIW I suspect the Supercar room may well regret not meeting you halfway.

I agree.

Hello Mark.

I ended up coming to your thread here from a pistonheads topic and have gone through the 24 pages you've put together. Your car was being spoken about on piston heads and was being held in very high regard, so I was eager to have a read about it. Is pretty astonishing what you've managed to do here, I think anyway. The attention to detail is fantastic, your attitude and approach is admirable. I see in the last few pages here you talk about moving onto something new, whatever you turn your hand to I am sure will be fantastic, however i look forward to seeing how you next progress if you do keep it.

Fantastic 996 which is very well documented. Certainly seems to be a little gem.

Evenin' lads.

Hi Jimmy, I'm not poo-pooing the 987, I love them. I just feel the front end isn't a patch on the 981. The 981 is like a grown up more aggressive 987.

We are at Oulton tomorrow but have changed our plans.
Instead of heading down in the morning we are currently in a hotel near Newark so I can view this at 9am in the morning then head to Oulton.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/333080295198

Hi Ady, yep I love the Morgan Aero 8. Always have.
I viewed the one at Hexham Horseless carriages this afternoon and I loved it but the luggage space makes it a no go I think.
I I wasn't doing a big trip with luggage this year I'd be buying the silver one at Mole Valley.
There was an air of TVR about it though and I still have nightmares about Craig's old Cerb. :wink:

So that kicked me up the arse to view the red Spyder in the morning.
Hence we've just arrived at our hotel near it.

Hi Mike, which version did you drive? They all have their charms and flaws.
I'm after the S1.5 as budget dictates.
They can all be pedalled very well and do actually have a proper drivers chassis.

They do feel a bit ramshackle though with regards to fixtures and fittings.

Looking through the history file for the one today though and there were some sizeable bills for what I'd class as surprise failures (rather than planned maintenance) which would worry me heading off to Italy in a one.

So not totally discounted but I'll probably go Spyder then maybe move it on for a Morgan next year, after my road trip.

G911. Totally. Supercar Rooms should have been proactive and spoken to the customer about taking half of the £3k reduction each. So £1500 less to each party.
Hey ho, loads more cars out there and I now fancy something I haven't had before. :thumb:

Hi Tomm, thanks very much for that. Much appreciated and yes I'm sure I'll cover whatever I buy on here, although I'm hoping to have a lazier year regarding crawling around the garage floor. :grin:

Thanks again for popping on to comment. :thumb:

I do like those Spyders, especially when you see them on the French Riviera. For some reason they just look so alive in the sunshine.

Cheers Jin.

I've just seen that Turbo in his sold section. I'll see what happens today.

4 hours sleep so I'll view then consider it properly later. :thumb:

I like the Lancias but couldn't part with Porsche money for a one. :wink:
It would have to be an Evo one too for me.

Hi Marky911, what a great read. Love the methodical approach you've taken it and ensured the car is mechanically sound before getting it looking how you wanted. Which is nothing short of superb by the way.

Sadly reaching the end of the thread was a bit of an anticlimax for me, realising the car is now sold. No surprise there really though I guess. I've dropped you a PM, so please do get in touch if for some strange reason your friend changes his mind.

Best of luck with the next leg of your automotive journey.

Cheers Marc, we've been PM'ing each other by now anyway. :thumb:

Yep Graham it's on my radar.
A few weeks ago the £50k 993 at RPR seemed like an impossible dream but now budget creep has kicked in even more.

I spoke to RPM about the Supercar rooms one and RPM mentioned their Arctic Mk2, up for £63k!
They've offered a good deal to be fair if I don't want the £4K of prep done, which in actual fact is £1k if I do it.

But at mid to high £50k's that opens the door to a good few of the ones on the market so I'm speaking to a couple of dealers at the moment.

That mk1 is nice but after having my mk1 CS I think I want to try a Mk2 this time as the styling has really grown on me, especially after chasing YKs red one all weekend.

The black one at Autostore is on my radar as it has the genuine buckets and cage, Schroth harnesses etc and only 42k miles vs 60 on the Scar rooms, RPM and Parr cars.

I've been assured the Autostore car is straight but need to check on previous reg numbers as a black Mk2 was damaged a while back so I need to make sure it isn't that one. Like I say I've been assured it's not that one so I don't want to accidentally cast any question marks over that car.

Boxster Spyder still high up there too. My mate Paul just bought a 981 version today for our road trip. He's had both models before.
A cab appeals and I keep picturing Alpine tunnels with the roof down and the PSE singing.

The red one at Newark was too tatty. A few deep stonechips through paint in bonnet and side decals. Corroded wheels and badly worn edge of drivers seat due to driver sliding in.
A Spyder for £45k has to be perfect!
My mate Paul above bought one last year from OPC Newcastle. It was in perfect condition, very low miles, had 2 years warranty worth £1200 and had £4K spent on prep by OPC. He paid £46k for it so all these ones up for £45k with chips and marks and no Porsche warranty are way out.

Anyway I'm trying to sit tight for a month or two. :thumb:

I must add that the seller of red Spyder said some of the issues would be sorted within the asking price.
Big scuff on the front skirt though! Seller says that was there when the previous owner took delivery from a main dealer supposedly. That doesn't mean I'm going to accept it though just because the last guy did. :dont know:

This one?

It's a cracking car Szymon, but it's wrong-hand drive.

Got be a RHD for me. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Afternoon chaps, just starting my readers cars type thread for my 996 C2 I bought almost a year ago. It certainly won't be anything as impressive as Poppopbangbang's or ELA's lightweight project, simply me bringing a 996 upto my ideal spec and condition.

If it bores you (and that's fine) just click away. :wink:
I'm actually a bit pushed for time these days but I've been gathering parts and planning things over the last 11 months and I'm starting to think if I don't start a thread now I never will as I'll get too far behind.

Ok, so like many on here I grew up loving 911s and while Ferrari's and Lambo's beat them for sound, I just think there's something about 911's. Boxsters and Caymans are great but I just don't get that 'Want!" feeling with them.

Anyway, I won't go on about my old ones but a few sentences on why I chose a 996 C2.
One reason really and that is that it's the only 911 I could afford to get back into last year.
Prior to this I'd owned several 911s -

Horrible old bitsa -

Lovely 964 C2 manual coupe -

My favourite I think. 964 Turbo -

Maybe joint favourite then. 996 Mk1 GT3 Clubsport -

So a house move to an old wreck in my dream village (realising a 15 year old ambition) meant we were backed into a corner pretty quickly financially, so as much as me and my ever supportive wife tried to juggle finances so I could keep the GT3, inevitably it had to go in August 2014.
It went to a proper petrolhead, Slippydiff off the forums, who I'd been speaking to about GT3 stuff behind the scenes for a long time. Great guy with an envious list of former Pork. It got the pampering and use it deserved with him.

I was so busy with the house (still am) that I didn't really miss it until summer '15. I tried a few old BMWs to fill the void but they were never going compete in any way to the GT3.

Anyway, after a crap 2015 (ill wife and me having a cancer scare in the December) I thought 'Sod it, I want another 911". So I scrimped and scrounged and managed to scrape enough together for a 996.

The list was simple, it had to be drivers spec as my GT3 had been obviously. So manual, coupe, rear wheel drive, oh and a Mk1 obviously, as I wanted aerokit and like the simpler shape. The hunt began....

more to follow when I can but I had to start somewhere......

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back