Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Seats for Gt3 Clubsport

-ollie-

Guys,

I have a 997.1 Clubsport with the factory buckets. Whilst they look very cool, they're too narrow for me - I am sat "on" the seat, rather than in it. My hips and shoulders are wider than is ideal for this width of seat.

My question is, if I buy a pair of wide Recaro's or similar, will they bolt into the factor side mounts present in my car? Or do I need to consider alternative mounts to allow a greater width? My current feeling is they won't, as they will be wider - perhaps I'm being daft.

If anyone has fitted a wider seat to a CS please chime in, I'd like to get this right first time and not have to deal with the seat contacting the centre console or door etc.

Cheers

Ollie

Never done this with the fixed 997 seat but I expect it's the same as other buckets. The side mounts won't fit so you will need to buy new ones which are compatible with the new seat.
Bret- Krause do a good range which can be sourced from uk suppliers such as Design 911. The issue will be how to fix the harnesses which you need to figure out before committing.

Alternatively you can buy these which have it all figured out for you and allow for a lower driving position.

https://www.bbiautosport.com/products-1/bbi-seat-base-and-slider-kit

I have the GMG racing version of this, down side there about 1-2 kg heavier than standard runners and side mounts.

Cheers Cunno, I'll get what you suggest, lower seat is a plus too.

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.

-ollie- said:

Harnesses are no problem I don't think as mine bolt into the chassis already with it being a CS.

Just make sure the seat you buy are compatible with the base. I run Recaro SPG XL seats and would recommend for the bigger gentleman. Also don't forget about the lap belts connections

Cunno said:
-ollie- said:

Just make sure the seat you buy are compatible with the base. I run Recaro SPG XL seats and would recommend for the bigger gentleman. Also don't forget about the lap belts connections

I'm 6ft3 and circa 85kg - is that similar to you? I can't wait to be more comfortable in mine, the factory buckets are hellish.

-ollie- said:
Cunno said:
-ollie- said:

I'm 6ft3 and circa 85kg - is that similar to you? I can't wait to be more comfortable in mine, the factory buckets are hellish.

No I'm shorter and fatter :thumb:

The SPG XL will suit your height and the extra width will sort the issue you raised earlier

Cunno said:
The SPG XL will suit your height and the extra width will sort the issue you raised earlier

Cheers dude. Have just ordered a pair of Profi PSG XL's to cheer myself up after a rubbish day. Also dropped Design 911 a note to see if they have the BBI mounts in stock, rather than pay the US import charges ordering direct from BBI.

Track day @ Croft today.

5am start, meant to be a relaxing break from work for a day.

Warmed the car through, got some heat in the tyres - first flying lap and lost power steering, red light on dash. Immediately pitted expecting to see the aux belt shredded, nope... it's in one piece.

Crank pulley nut has wound itself undone - rubbish.

Had to get the car recovered to Fearnsport, it's just arrived.

The up's and down's of playing with cars!

Yours is a .1 also from memory, have you ever had this?

That's a new one on me. :?:

Senoj said:

It was on me too.

Possible causes range from missed shift & over rev, to it not being quite tight enough from the factory.

I was adamant I hadn't missed a shift, although it went whilst heel & toeing down the box on the start/finish straight.

Matt @ FS has subsequently read the ECU and confirmed I didn't over rev it :lol:

So the theory is it was waiting to go, just happened today. New bolt, pulley and washer to go on, with some loctite!

Rather it happen at Croft than at Spa. Still a rubbish day though.

Indeed. It's the ones we get away with that matter most :thumb:

Senoj said:

Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.

Slippydiff said:
Senoj said:

Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.

Hi Slippy,

Definitely no over rev scenario, Fearnsport has verified by reading the ECU. I was also adamant I hadn't prior to them checking (obviously didn't believe me! :lol: )

The Yanks do seem to think the cause is to do with the LTWFW fitment, but I can't see how this is possible. If a LTWFW was causing such resonance through the crank as to make the crank pulley nut come undone, it would run the bearings within seconds, let alone allow the engine to run long enough to make a bolt come undone on the opposite side.

I don't buy that theory, and think it's something else.

If anyone has a view on the resonance theory from over the pond, I'd be interested to hear it. It doesn't make sense to me!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back