Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997.1 tt owner - advice needed please

Oh it is also getting new ignition coils and plugs and a full inspection of everything once the running issue is hopefully sorted. There was no misfire fault codes reported but then the car hasnt been on an extended drive although it was up to temperature when they took it out on test.

darkhorse said:
One other question, does anyone know where I can obtain the workshop tech manuals for the car? I keep thinking I have found the PDFs online but most sites look questionable so I have not obtained anything of use yet!!!

I think I have those, sent you a PM.

apollokre1d said:
darkhorse said:
One other question, does anyone know where I can obtain the workshop tech manuals for the car? I keep thinking I have found the PDFs online but most sites look questionable so I have not obtained anything of use yet!!!

Many thanks :thumb:

Hi darkhorse I have a parts manual for the 3.6 turbo which I can email to you, if you pm me your email address I will send it.
Coil packs issues tend to be terminal, in that once they go that's it.
I stripped my Turbo down a few years ago and it wasn't as bad a job as I'd expected, the main PIA is rusted studs and corroded nuts that crumble before your eyes. The engines are pretty much bomb proof, if you get the chance when it's a apart change the main water pump, they are a weak point and whilst everything's apart it's so much easier than in 6 months time. For a water pump go to Autodoc as they are a quarter of the price that Porsche charge and they are a genuine part. Also the main drive belt as well as they only cost £30.
One word of warning, the new coil packs are different to the old coil packs so you will need 5 new style and one old style, the new slightly larger Beru coil pack won't fit behind the turbo actuator on I think the drivers side and no amount of 'adjustment' will make them fit. So if your getting packs from Design 911 mention this to them as they got me an old style one which took about a week to get.

Old and new Beru coil packs. You can see how the securing bolts are rebated on the old pack and sit proud on the new pack, that's the problem, the bolt fouls the actuator as it sticks up to high.

Attachments

• new_coil_old_coil_374.jpg
    new_coil_old_coil_374.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,707
darkhorse said:
apollokre1d said:
darkhorse said:

Pleasure, just uploading them now, best take easternjets offer too just encase.

easternjets said:
Hi darkhorse I have a parts manual for the 3.6 turbo which I can email to you, if you pm me your email address I will send it.
Coil packs issues tend to be terminal, in that once they go that's it.
I stripped my Turbo down a few years ago and it wasn't as bad a job as I'd expected, the main PIA is rusted studs and corroded nuts that crumble before your eyes. The engines are pretty much bomb proof, if you get the chance when it's a apart change the main water pump, they are a weak point and whilst everything's apart it's so much easier than in 6 months time. For a water pump go to Autodoc as they are a quarter of the price that Porsche charge and they are a genuine part. Also the main drive belt as well as they only cost £30.
One word of warning, the new coil packs are different to the old coil packs so you will need 5 new style and one old style, the new slightly larger Beru coil pack won't fit behind the turbo actuator on I think the drivers side and no amount of 'adjustment' will make them fit. So if your getting packs from Design 911 mention this to them as they got me an old style one which took about a week to get.

many thanks, will do!
Also thankyou very much for the heads up on the coils and other parts. I will be sure to get the right coils and I most certainly would not have; were it not for this forum and you guys!

I have receipts saying coils and plugs were done in 2016, I am not sure if it worth redoing them so soon?

When you say the coil pack issues tend to be terminal, can you elaborate a little? You mean that the car just runs worse and worse?

THanks

apollokre1d said:
darkhorse said:
apollokre1d said:
darkhorse said:

Pleasure, just uploading them now, best take easternjets offer too just encase.

Awesome. They are awesome thanks very much :)

easternjets said:
Old and new Beru coil packs. You can see how the securing bolts are rebated on the old pack and sit proud on the new pack, that's the problem, the bolt fouls the actuator as it sticks up to high.

Awesome, potentially saved me a lot of headscratching!! cheers

When the coil packs fail they fail completely and you will have a noticeable misfire.
Coil packs fail because the older style get moisture inside them, they split and then they fail. If you inspect the packs and they look like the ones in my pic then your pretty safe but if you see rust weeping out then bin them straight away.
The make your looking for is Beru and the water pump is a Pierburg.

Bit of an update chaps!

Well the car has turned out to be a good purchase in terms or price/condition but we are working through a jobs list and I have been sourcing some parts which hasn't proven that easy (had a major job finding a new TT airbox from a breaker as mine is cracked ). It is currently stripped down and awaiting attention once all parts have landed.

Other issues /jobs being attended to:

new billet tandem pump cover being fitted as the old one looks in poor order.

Exhaust system all stripped off as the nuts on the turbo to manifold studs were literally in really poor order and it was blowing from both sides and quite possibly causing the poor idling so the techs think. This will be getting new gaskets studs and nuts.

Full set of spark plugs and coil packs being fitted.

Quality oil and OE filter replacement.

Coil pack head shields being replaced.

New airbox assembly (top and bottom) and air filter

Once this lot is done it will be roadtested and with a bit of luck I will get the car back ready to roll so to speak.

I am curious, does anyone know if the manual 6 speed in the 997 C4 is the same box as the turbo manual 6 speed? Has anyone ever done a manual conversion on a tiptronic on here? (Im not planning to, just interested!)

Cheers

When you say quality oil for the 3.6 a lot of us have used Millers Nanodrive 10-50w oil, it is expensive but it's used by a lot of engine rebuilders and they swear by it. It's a lot thicker than Mobil which is what Porsche use.
Also another make I've come across is Royal Purple, I happened to get an exhaust fixed at a place in N upon Tyne and he is the importer for Royal Purple oil, I know it was sales patter but the product comes very highly recommended by a lot of high performance engine users, it is flippin expensive though!

You seem to have taken a risk on the turbo but I'm glad it's come good for you.

easternjets said:
When you say quality oil for the 3.6 a lot of us have used Millers Nanodrive 10-50w oil, it is expensive but it's used by a lot of engine rebuilders and they swear by it. It's a lot thicker than Mobil which is what Porsche use.
Also another make I've come across is Royal Purple, I happened to get an exhaust fixed at a place in N upon Tyne and he is the importer for Royal Purple oil, I know it was sales patter but the product comes very highly recommended by a lot of high performance engine users, it is flippin expensive though!

You seem to have taken a risk on the turbo but I'm glad it's come good for you.

Thanks for the info easternjets. Will look into the Millers and may well go that route. I think Mobil was indeed the planned route (or whatever Porsche recommended).

I have used Royal Purple before and it was indeed expensive but came well recommended!

Regards the turbo. Yes, it was a risk for certain, but nothing ventured nothing gained was the modus operandi!

Did you consider doing the water pump? When you see the trouble you have to go through to get the exhaust system off it is worth it.

easternjets said:
Did you consider doing the water pump? When you see the trouble you have to go through to get the exhaust system off it is worth it.

Sorry, forgot that! yes indeed, its having a new OE waterpump as a matter of course while its all in bits!!

Thanks!

Oh, its also having a new electric water pump as well.

Not sure if there is anything else to do while in there, think anything that needs it is being replaced at this point. Hoping it runs right when back together. It didnt show any misfire codes on their diagnostic system hence they think the rough(er) than normal idle was exhaust leakage related. Will find out in a week or two!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back