Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How wide is my 997...with mirrors?

segart

Nurburgring
I am a few miles away from the 911, so cannot get a tape measure on it. Here is the question. I am about to move house and need to figure out if the 911 will fit in the garage. The 997.2 c2s is 1808mm wide, according to the spec. But is that with the mirrors or without?
Cheers
Rick

1808mm is the width of the rump.

I can never remember whether the mirrors stick out wider. I'll go and have a look.

That was interesting exercise.

I can't tell you the width at the mirrors but my car is 1852mm wide and the mirrors stick out wider than that. Yours will be the same at the mirror tips as mine.

It's nice to know that if the mirrors fit through a gap the rest of the car will too. That's how I'll remember in future. :D

Ok thanks but its not what i wanted to hear!! That gives me 74mm either side as i squeeze it into the garage through the door. Should just be able to get out of the car hopefully. Cheers Rick

All you need is day light :thumb:
Better you than me :eek:
How long before planning permission goes in for a much larger garage? :grin:

FZP said:
All you need is day light :thumb:
Better you than me :eek:
How long before planning permission goes in for a much larger garage? :grin:

Ha! Snag is i had to go down the back of the sofa to raise the last few quid to finance the move!
Cheers rick

segart said:
Ok thanks but its not what i wanted to hear!! That gives me 74mm either side as i squeeze it into the garage through the door. Should just be able to get out of the car hopefully. Cheers Rick

That is very tight, they do make garages a bit small these days! I have been all over my car recently with a tape measure as I am planning a driveway and garage, width is less of a problem, it's the fairly steep slope up the side of the house which is causing me headaches to make sure my lowered GT3/Aero front bumper will not be ripped off with only 80m ground clearance!

If it is a single garage you will probably have another 10 - 12" clearance each side once the car is in, some neoprene glued to the wall will be a good idea!

DucatiRob said:
segart said:

That is very tight, they do make garages a bit small these days! I have been all over my car recently with a tape measure as I am planning a driveway and garage, width is less of a problem, it's the fairly steep slope up the side of the house which is causing me headaches to make sure my lowered GT3/Aero front bumper will not be ripped off with only 80m ground clearance!

If it is a single garage you will probably have another 10 - 12" clearance each side once the car is in, some neoprene glued to the wall will be a good idea!
Carpet pieces and Gorilla glue at the ready!
First world problems i guess! The new house will be great but the garage is the weakest point. Made worse as i also need to somehow shoehorn my Triumph Sprint ST in there too!

segart said:
DucatiRob said:
segart said:

Carpet pieces and Gorilla glue at the ready!
First world problems i guess! The new house will be great but the garage is the weakest point. Made worse as i also need to somehow shoehorn my Triumph Sprint ST in there too!
Post a pic when the mirrors are at the door, :grin:

So the mission is to get the Triumph Sprint, and the 997 into what is a fairly tight garage as seen here.
20190318-121233.jpg
[/url][/img]
Someone on this board suggested a piece of timber that would stop the car getting too close to the wall on the left side as I backed it in, and another bit of wood to stop the car butting in to the bike.
20190318-133319.jpg
[/url]
[/img]
The garage has a door opening of 2.1M which I think is a standard single garage width. Frankly not enough for wider modern cars, and barely enough to let the 997 go in. I had about 60mm spare overall in width, so a bit more than an inch either side. Not ideal but doable.
20190318-133713.jpg
[/url]
[/img]
Its a bit of a squeeze getting into and out of the car but its ok!
Cheers
Rick

segart said:

May not be of use - but the mirrors can be folded back manually to give you a bit more clearance - not a particular practical thing to have to be doing mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back